• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Something else to keep me occupied

Just bought myself a Harley none runner basket case, imported recently so not yet registered here, 93 sportster frame etc fitted with a ironhead 1200, got to collect it next week.

Didn't want anything original as I want to build a fat tyre springer hardtail, not bothered about it being a none runner, it turns over and has compression,  I can fix most things anyway.

It is rough but I only need the engine and part of the frame

• Like 1

I can't wait to go get it, way too busy this week

After doing some reading I suppose I could have picked an easier motor to rebuild...., ah well     and even more reading casts doubt on it being 1200 but well see

I really want something much earlier and a lotto win would be a wla or even earlier so this might have to be a stepping stone

• Like 1

Well I brought the collection forward and got it today... the seller was not lying it is a dog

My 150amp alternator breaker quit 10 miles from the destination, well thats when I spotted no charging going on, arrived and got the bike loaded then it took me 2 hours to finally decide the breaker was at fault  (no tools just a multimeter) kept resetting it and it pops out after 2 minutes, it was getting hot but the charge cable closer to the alternator was cold so decided to bolt both sides of the breaker together onto the output stud, all good and charging fine 

Back to the harley, something missing off of the alternator/starter, everything is garbage

worst thing is I know sweet  F A about these things  but I'll figure it out

anyone got a alternator/starter for a 82 ironhead :)  or a workshop manual or links to info

Need to get it running to figure out the next move

Edited by wil440

5 hours ago, wil440 said:

Well I brought the collection forward and got it today... the seller was not lying it is a dog

My 150amp alternator breaker quit 10 miles from the destination, well thats when I spotted no charging going on, arrived and got the bike loaded then it took me 2 hours to finally decide the breaker was at fault  (no tools just a multimeter) kept resetting it and it pops out after 2 minutes, it was getting hot but the charge cable closer to the alternator was cold so decided to bolt both sides of the breaker together onto the output stud, all good and charging fine 

Back to the harley, something missing off of the alternator/starter, everything is garbage

worst thing is I know sweet  F A about these things  but I'll figure it out

anyone got a alternator/starter for a 82 ironhead :)  or a workshop manual or links to info

Need to get it running to figure out the next move

You'll have it figured out in no time. Not really much to them. Parts should be fairly easy to aquire. Post a couple pics.

Got into it today as well as collecting a Fender Telecaster for my brother in laws 70 birthday present  (He lives in Denmark, road trip in 2 weeks)

Jeez this thing is a dog, 93 sportster frame and some clown has attempted to fit a 82 ironhead with off the shelf stuff so front motor mounts are forward control plates, rears don't fit so hey ho lets grind the case on the left rear and also the swing arm pivot, some people should never ever be allowed anywhere near anything mechanical

Starter was missing what I now know to be the solenoid, this was at first a right ##ss off BUT I removed the left primary casing and pulled the starter, turning it over on the crank nut there seemed to be a tight bit, originally I thought it was compression but I figured it wasn't in line with both cylinders just one so rocker boxes off, heads off, noticed a very small shiney bit on the top of one piston, either cam timing is wrong or valve clearance on that valve is way tight. Good job the starter was done or I might have connected it to a battery put some oil in it and tried to start it

Pulled the jugs off and it's going to be a rebore and new pistons, crank and rods at the moment appear to be ok

Pulled the right side case..... jeez there is some stuff in there :) 

Made the call, all I'm keeping is the motor and rear spoked wheel hub, possibly the gas tank as it is not the tiny peanut tank which I dont like, it's more S shaped but again some clown has been at it underneath

Here's a laugh, took me most of today to figure out where the generator is and guess what the wiring output is bare wires, enough to cut the connector off and use duetz connector

Again all my pictures are upside down ??????387772161_20220515_1420241.jpg.84fcfc150c85e3486a414aae19f5b605.jpg

20220515_142006[1].jpg

20220515_142059[1].jpg

Look closely at the rear piston, very small shiney bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Tune said:

Did you back the tensioner off? ALOT of slack in that chain

yes the case really doesn't want to come off with the chain tensioned, bit of looking and figuring sorted it out

• Like 1

Pulled a bit more off of this pile and it will need +20 pistons,rings and a bore, it does have S&S rods though

Tried the hone in one cylinder and a bit of a water mark that would take ages to get rid of so it's going 20 over, it's standard 3 3/16th so 3.188 so will be 3.208

Now got to decide whether I split the cases and check the rest 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

I would. Your going that far, may as well go all in....

I know what you're saying, makes sense really, I need to get the rest of the motor out of the frame and onto a engine stand.... read make a engine stand

• Haha 1

Got the motor out this morning, made a long plate that bolts to the 4 rear engine mounts out of 10mm steel, bolted up my other engine stand to it, lower down on the long plate I cut another plate to pick up the lower fingers of the engine stand

I made the plate long and hanging below the motor so if needed I can add a box section under the motor to the front and then pick up a front engine mount.

I'll get pictures maybe tomorrow.

Pulled the cams and followers, over the next few days I intend to remove the primary drive and clutch then take it off the stand and split the cases just really to check everything, crank and rods appear to be ok but may as well check also the cases are minging so will be going for a bath, also gives me the chance to look at the gearbox.

Done a bit more research on the engine number and It looks like it's a 84 ironhead 1000 which was when new a XLX, frame now is a 93 so thats being sold.

Everything on this is pants, oil tank for instance has been bodged to fit the 93 frame, mounts have been chemical metalled onto the tank then 1/2 a tube of silicon to seal what I think was a very bad attempt at welding brackets on, can't yet see what's going on with the oil tank as, well the chemical metal is as hard as well "metal" so will need ground off, I don't need it but if I can sort it out it's £55 on ebay, frame might be £300 to £400 with no numbers, i'll be keeping the numbers to register the new hardtail frame WHEN that happens

There is also most of the rest of it which will be sold, not sure yet what to do for wheels/brakes, it has a spoke rear disc braked and a ally front single disc, I would love to go drum with a twin shoe up front, suppose I could use any drum wheel as I have a lathe so can make spacers etc.

Plan is to get the motor sorted, by then I'll have decided on the rest

pic is just right for how it needs to look, this a WLC from 1942 or so the advert says

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

pulled the trans out of the cases this afternoon, I had bought a Haynes manual  ( I know not great but better than nowt) off of Mr Bozo supposed to be delivered today, delayed until tomorrow so me being Mr impulsive and knows everything went ahead and pulled the trans...... DUH in my stupidity I removed the 5/8th bolt with the lock tabs on as well as the 4 trans cassette bolts, trans in a million bits on the floor, the 5/8th bolt holds the selector mechanism and once that bolt is out it all falls to bits.

There is a preload bar and springs sat on 2 rods in the case and 2 small top hat bushes that protects the ally case from the spring ends one dropped out and hit the floor, spent 3 hours looking for it with no luck, going to waste 2 hours tomorrow and if I still can't find it I'll make a pair on the lathe,  and there is the problem.... the motor is in my lathe shop which is toasty due to the house biomass boiler being in there too BUT there's bits of steel everywhere from shavings to 4" bar and everything inbetween..... needle and a pile of hay comes to mind

I hate it when I do something stupid:mad:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Max Tune said:

We could be brothers...🤣😂🤣😂

If you don't get answers in the manual, don't forget YouTube or even the Googler....

Should be able to find anything you need.

Surely there cannot be anyone as impulsive or stupid as me although I usually just throw all parts into a box and then when the build comes and it might be months just put it all back together, this thing might just be the ultimate test.... I found this site.... priceless http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/sportster_history

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wil440 said:

Surely there cannot be anyone as impulsive or stupid as me

Pfffft.....

You may be our leader today, but there is a looooong line behind you just waiting their turn....🤣😂🤣😂

I finally got the shifter mechanism figured out.

I spent about 5 hours day before yesterday looking on the floor for this top hat bush with no luck, yesterday I went into the shop determined to rip everything outside until I found this little bush, 10 minutes later I found it, hadn't hit the floor as I thought ( I was sure I saw it fall to the floor) it had fell into the 1 1/4" socket I used to remove the primary sprocket

Figured out the top hat bushes do not sit under the spring bar for the selector quadrant but sit on the selector fork pins that sit in the quadrant

Crankcase now split, started looking for a press to press the crank out of the left case but cannot find anything thats  made in a country I would buy from so I'm spreading some thought onto that.

Good job I went all the way as one of the rear mounting bracket bolts was too long and has slightly cracked the right case easy repair from the inside

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well yesterday I found the time between doctors appointments to drop the motor (In bits) off at the local machine shop which is about 8 miles away from me, these guys have been around for years and have done machine work for most motorcycle race teams being they are 3 miles from Donnington race track

They are going to....

press the crank out of the left case and check it for runout

If crank runout is ok I'll just replace the outer bearings and seal

2 small repairs on the engine casings and bead blast

replace the camshaft bearings and bushings

bore cylinders hopefully to 20thou as thats the cheapest Wiseco piston size

3 angle valve cut and replace guides

repaint the barrels and heads

5 to 6 weeks before they can even look at it they are that busy

Found a company here in the uk that makes a brand new hardtail frame for a ironhead for £895 so that will be next

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Picked up a Made in England  motorcycle/ small plant table today off of Ebay, bought it a few weeks ago but the seller had to go the Scotland for his daughters wedding and I had covid, no rush for it anyway.

Had to move some stuff around in my tiny workshop where it is going, I have a bigger workshop but the small one is heated by my biomass boiler and when the boiler is on it's toasty

@IBMobile can you turn the picture the right way up please 

The picture is right on my laptop and on my phone, I even saved it upside down but it still came out upside down @Mopar1973Man  what's causing this ?????

20220731_170120.jpg.9c3d3e1bd6c850118ceb69c2bdfc5f7c.jpg

Edited by wil440
  • Like 1