• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Road trip to Denmark..... wednesday 1st June

wil440

My brother in law lives in Denmark, he's been there for maybe 40 years, wife and 4 kids, he's 70 next week and my wifes birthday the day after,  my wife hasn't seen him for close on 10 years.

So we're driving to Denmark starting on the 1st June.

Ferry from Hawich booked and sails at 11.00pm so plenty of time to get to there, it's about 175 miles pretty much direct east for us, the route actually goes via a major road  upgrade that I was on with the UK Cat dealer as field service engineer so will be good to see it actually finished and being used.

Ferry arrives at the Hook of Holland Thursday morning

We then have about 400miles to drive to a hotel in Northern Germany that we booked for the night, 

We then have 500 miles or so to drive to Svenborg where he lives although he had booked a ferry crossing in Denmark that does cut some driving out, we couldn't book it as only Danish speaking and phone booking only.

As he retired a couple of years ago he's learning to play the guitar so we got him a Fender Telecaster for his birthday so we're taking that out.

We then leave his house around the 6th or 7th (can't remember) and I booked a beach cottage in Jutland which is a part of Denmark right on the west coast in a nature reserve.

We then have maybe 1000mile drive and ferry home

Gutted I have to drive my wifes volvo xc40 and not my ram, we did originally want to take our 5th wheel trailer but the ferry from the UK to Holland was £1500, ah well put the miles on the new junk not my truck  

Been trying to get everything fixed that I need to before I go ( the joys of working for yourself)   just fitted a Honda engine in a power barrow that had totally the wrong output shaft, camshaft, and sump as the owner didn't check the oil and it seized, 2 hours earlier he posted on face##ck a pic of this power barrow loaded up with concrete fence posts with the caption " work smarter not harder"  smartest thing he could have done at the start of that day was check the engine oil :doh:  delivery of the correct new Honda engine was November, so go a mower engine, same designation and changed the sump, camshaft and made a bush in the lathe to upsize the crank output from 22.2mm to 25.4mm, skip and belly plate back on tomorrow and then get UK stickers and headlight changers for the car and we're off

Yes thats it, the thursday night hotel is about half way between Bremen and Hamburg and Jutland is off the map  on the east coast of Denmark above the end of the map

I used the ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland 30 odd years ago 2 years in succession taking aid to children in Belarussia that was effected by Chernobyl, 10 or more landrovers with trailers both years with everything from food/clothes/medicines/ medical equipment,  very scary, followed the whole way in Belarussia by big black cars that followed for say 5 miles then turned off to be replaced by another, thing is we were followed for maybe 500 miles by only 4 or 5 cars, they must have thought we couldn't read the registation plates

At least Denmark is safe

They say the Danes are the happiest people on the planet in a poll, cost of living is very high, tax is very high but the state covers a huge amount of costs properly

Pretty much all ready to go, we'll be leaving around midday tomorrow, go to get to Harwich before 7.00pm so should have plenty of time, ferry sails at 11.00pm and arrives at the Hook of Holland at 8.00am.

Then a 300 mile drive to the midway hotel for the night in Sittensden Germany half way between Bremen and Hamburg we then have to catch a ferry in southern Denmark to the island where Svenborg is, this ferry cuts out a lot of driving and is only 50 minutes, cost £34 which in Danish Krone is thousands but 1 Krone is £0.11 so 11p

Had to buy headlight stickers which block off light to the left as that now becomes oncoming traffic and a GB sticker for the rear so when us left driving people cause a huge accident by driving the wrong way they know who to blame :)

Already scoped out the Harley parts suppliers on the way to see if I can get pistons and rings etc for my project

6 hours ago, wil440 said:

Had to buy headlight stickers which block off light to the left as that now becomes oncoming traffic and a GB sticker for the rear

The things we take for granted in the USA.  I couldn't imagine crossing a border and having to drive on the other side of the road in a vehicle that wasn't designed to drive on the other side of the road.  

I added Sittensen to the map.

- John

image.png.915c1fa18088c17449061bd7840ddf6d.png

53 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

The things we take for granted in the USA.  I couldn't imagine crossing a border and having to drive on the other side of the road in a vehicle that wasn't designed to drive on the other side of the road.  

I also bought a small see throught sticker for the windscreen which has a picture of a traffic island with markings on it to remind me which way to drive, once back driving on left you just turn the sticker round.... genius really

It's about 30 years since I drove on the right, we now have sat nav so should be ok, not looking forward to the first 50 miles though

There was some talk a few years ago when we were in the EU to make the change here to drive on the right..... people made their views on that crystal clear so much so that it was shelved and fast

Edited by wil440

20220604_111718.jpg.c3329d922331598dcab0edcbff5a7581.jpg.dc04bdd6f3ed3284dcadbf9898cb9f42.jpgArrived in  Denmark with no real problems. Wrong turn straight off of the ferry but turned out a nicer route anyway. 

Took a ferry from Svenborg to a smaller island the other day saw 8 corvettes a roadrunner 4 chevy belairs 

20220604_135216.jpg

20220604_135242.jpg

20220604_135252.jpg

20220604_111718.jpg

Edited by IBMobile
rotate picture
  • Like 2

Checked out a music sort of association building right in the old part of Svenborg.  Building is from the 1700's old wooden barn type building which is a bar but run for musicians to sort of drop in and play.  My brother in law volunteers there  and plays guitar there too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Amazing Wil440, beautiful chapel and the dome roof is incredible. I heard you got the contract to pressure wash the dome, he he! Was it fun?

That church was incredible. Took 145 years to build, probably takes that to clean it too, and just across the street is the Royal residence but the Danish Queen wasn't in residence at the time, she is touring Denmark right now 

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Amazing Wil440, beautiful chapel and the dome roof is incredible. I heard you got the contract to pressure wash the dome, he he! Was it fun?

I wasn't really too keen about going to Copenhagen as I don't like big cities but it is a mixture of both old and new and was really safe, not too crowded just right 

• Like 2

• Staff

145 years to build... it's beautiful and each block looks like they are cut from stone with natural layers. Like I said it amazing, not to mention how tightly fit they are on a round dome building, beyond comprehension really. :wow:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

145 years to build... it's beautiful and each block looks like they are cut from stone with natural layers. Like I said it amazing, not to mention how tightly fit they are on a round dome building, beyond comprehension really. :wow:

It's all marble, so much so that it is called the marble church pictures don't do it justice 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAG1 said:

Wish I could take 145 years to do one job :thumb1:. Do you think the Marble blocks (cut so tight) are the main structure?

Far as I know the marble is all it's made of

• Like 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, wil440 said:

Far as I know the marble is all it's made of

Think how all the cuts need to change angles, the sides, top and bottom as it goes up to build the dome.

• Like 1