• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Its alive!!!! Its alive!!!! Yippee!!!!

After close to five months of people looking at my truck and not being able to fix it - It ran tonight!!!!!! It was the VP44, and so far everything seems good. I cant drive it yet tho cus one of the geniuses at the one shop picked up the front end of my truck with a fork truck and it crushed the steering stablizer, its another $40 which is really nuttn compared to the cash i forked out for the VP44 LOL!!!! Im just so happy its running right now tho nuttn can crush my buzz LOL!!!! I want to thank you all for the help, you all are really great!!! Ill let you know how it goes from here, and thanks againg for you all being here!!!

Yep, new cummings lift pump, and a low pressure light from diesel performance products, and a cam shaft position sensor, just because. I did it my self, w a lil help from a friend, and it wasn't that hard at all, took about 3hrs to assemble and it pretty much fired right up. Since im all stock the Cummings dealer said I didnt need to go with Fass or anything, and he gave me a 2 year warranty in the VP-in writing- And yes im putting in 2 cycle. Man, I just love how that cummings sounds!!!!! :thumb1:

Yep, new cummings lift pump, and a low pressure light from diesel performance products, and a cam shaft position sensor, just because. I did it my self, w a lil help from a friend, and it wasn't that hard at all, took about 3hrs to assemble and it pretty much fired right up. Since im all stock the Cummings dealer said I didnt need to go with Fass or anything, and he gave me a 2 year warranty in the VP-in writing- And yes im putting in 2 cycle. Man, I just love how that cummings sounds!!!!! :thumb1:

Glad you got is sorted. Your sig says stock so your probably ok with a a stock LP together with the fuel warning light - but you may want to try and save for a FASS/AIRDOG and some gauges at some stage - like white01 said - especially cause you would like that stock truck so much better with even just a small programmer (EZ) ........ and if you go bigger - its just night and day. I think Mike has an article showing that even though cummins recommend minimum 10psi ..... the fuel return only actively cools above 12 or 14psi or something .......... either way a working truck is SOOOO much better than a dead one :thumbup2:

Glad to hear you got her up and running again. If you haven't already, I would STRONGLY recommend buying a spare lift pump and tools to replace it to carry in your truck. I would also STRONGLY recommend NOT buying a Carter style lift pump and buy the Airtex E7153 lift pump which is a direct drop in OEM style replacement lift pump of a FAR better design. Great job on the IP install. :thumbup2:

I did it my self, the Cummings dealer and he gave me a 2 year warranty in the VP-in writing- And yes im putting in 2 cycle. Man, I just love how that cummings sounds!!!!! :thumb1:

Who gave you a 2 yr warranty? The best I could find was 1yr. Where did you get the pump?

I got VP at the cummings dealer in barkeyville pa up on I80, "Diesel injection & parts I-80" the number is 814-786-7916. That shops VP's are Bosh rebuilt ( he was cheaper then autozone or advance and those pumps are rebuilt by some company called Cardone ), and Bosh warrenties it for 1 year and the dealer extendes the warranty for another year. I made sure the pump would still be covered for 2 years if I put it in myself and he said yes. He doesnt seem the type to snake you out of a warranty, not to mention I dont think he looses money, I think Bosh would cuz he just sells for them, and he takes the VP's apart before he ships them back to Bosh and cleans and dries them out before he ships them back to Bosh ( because Fex EX and UPS complain about fuel leaking out of the pump ) so I dont think Bosh would see any dirt of anything. My frarrier has a stock 1999 Dodge Diesel 3500 and that garage does his diesel work and that shop has always done good by my farrier, and my farrier has over 300K on his truck. The lift pump is a genuine cummings made replacement, so it better be good! And right at the moment I dont have two nickles to rub togeather :broke:, so a fass or even a spare lift will have to wait, and my next project is a 1990 st.6 jeep I have to put rod and main bearings and and an oil pump in it in before I spend any money on anything else, at least the jeep is cheap to fix and a bit easier on fuel, but not as much fun to drive. And Im not planning on going "bigger" with the Cummings, I have a 1965 Chevelle for that :cool:

Since im all stock the Cummings dealer said I didnt need to go with Fass or anything

i would disagree. per bosch, 70% of the fuel the VP receives is SUPPOSE to return to the tank. i don't believe that the VP44 needs a particular fuel pressure, but a sufficient volume. but since the stock lines are so small, the only way to have high volume is with high pressure. my truck is nearly stock(a fuel pump and steering box stabilizer) and i gained 2-3 MPG the next tank after i installed my AIRDOG150. i picked up 1-2 MPG from removing the resonator/muffler. also, most of the low pressure lights i have seen don't light until 5psi or lower. that is 1/2 of the minimum fuel pressure for stock fuel lines. most of the time, if the lights on, you are WAY to low. :2cents: glad to hear your truck is running. i hope you have many trouble-free years ahead of you

i would disagree. per bosch, 70% of the fuel the VP receives is SUPPOSE to return to the tank. i don't believe that the VP44 needs a particular fuel pressure, but a sufficient volume. but since the stock lines are so small, the only way to have high volume is with high pressure. my truck is nearly stock(a fuel pump and steering box stabilizer) and i gained 2-3 MPG the next tank after i installed my AIRDOG150. i picked up 1-2 MPG from removing the resonator/muffler. also, most of the low pressure lights i have seen don't light until 5psi or lower. that is 1/2 of the minimum fuel pressure for stock fuel lines. most of the time, if the lights on, you are WAY to low. :2cents: glad to hear your truck is running. i hope you have many trouble-free years ahead of you

I did think about going with a Fass, I really liked the one in fact, but the VP is supposto be rebuilt better then the origional, and the lift pump is supposto be built better and push more pressure then the origional, and I got over 100k on the origional equiptment, which I didnt think was bad (I know, cuz Im the origional owner). So Im hoping if the new parts are built better Ill get at least another 100k. If the light comes on more then a couple times I WILL defenatelly upgrade to the Fass, and hope its before any damage was done to the VP (i know its a gamble) but I was willing to buy a Fass, auctually the dealer sells Bully Dog, and he told me with the improvements Cummings made on their transfer pump I wouldnt need it. He gives the extended 2 year warranty on the VP (and he doesnt have to), and I figured if he had alot of returns he would of insisted I buy the Bully Dog. I'll adimit Im FAR from an expert, and if I made the wrong decision its gonna suck, but I guess Ill deal with it if my decision was wrong. Thank you for hoping I have trouble free years, I hope so too