• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil leak after vp44 replacement

Hi, I was woundering if anyone can help me diagnose a oil leak it started after I had my vp44 replaced on a 2000 5.9. It is just pouring oil out fromm some where on the front of the motor on the drivers side I have tried cleaning the motor to see where it’s coming from. I have already replaced the front seal the crank seal and I have rebuilt the vac pump. I looked around the vp44 checking for a leak but it is dry all the way around is there something I am missing. Thank you  

I have looked at the tappet cover but it doesn't look to be leaching the reason I have been so confused is it’s on the front of the motor near the Cummins badge on the motor. Then from there down. I just did a whole set of seals on the timing cover. 

B3C99F5A-253B-4318-A469-CC1EB474E387.jpeg

5EC94C22-2C1B-4207-A399-0506C232AB1A.jpeg

3DB0236E-2C6F-4631-8A14-8E7174C91872.jpeg

Edited by connors

I’m not sure the vp44 was the only thing I paid to have done by a shop. The reason I was unsure about the vp is there is no oil near it everything has been dry around it, is it possible when the fan is on it flings it somewhere else. 

My experience with oil leaking on the driver side of the engine sounds like your story. PULL THE VP, vacuum pump & steering pump. INSPECT the tappet cover & the plate that seals the old mechanical fuel pump hole. However that is toward the rear!

Good luck!

Forgot this item. It is in the location where you are leaking.
Did you check the vacuum pump oil supply line which attaches to the block up front. 

• Like 1

Your first picture clearly shows the leak but I can't figure out where that area is, I've looked under my truck 3 times now and cannot ID where that is

Is it a picture of the timing case.... area to sump or timing case to block ?

I wouldn't pull anything until you have figured out where it's coming from as once something is removed you cannot run it 

Edited by wil440

6 hours ago, wil440 said:

Your first picture clearly shows the leak but I can't figure out where that area is, I've looked under my truck 3 times now and cannot ID where that is

Is it a picture of the timing case.... area to sump or timing case to block ?

I wouldn't pull anything until you have figured out where it's coming from as once something is removed you cannot run it 

The first picture is from under the truck where the timing cover area and the vacuum pump attach

I think I found the leak it looks like it might be coming from the front main seal and I am guessing it didn’t seal correctly so I am going to  do it again. Has anyone used the front seal from the 12v on the 24v because I used black rtv last time, I saw some people using it is it worth trying/ dose it work. 

• Owner

I just use the standard front crank seal on mine. No nee for sealants or anything just tap the seal into the cover and then install the gear case cover with grey RTV sealant. If you have a bad groove get the front seal with a speedy-sleeve and install those as a set being the seal is just a bit bigger for the sleeve. 

Oh if there is a speedy sleeve already you'll need to score the sleeve with a chisel and the dig under with a flat blade screw drive and tear the sleeve and it will pop off. Done one on a Ford 7.3L for a rear main seal job. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm. If it is the front main, maybe need a speedy sleeve, when the front covers off and can see the crank snout properly, can see if theres a groove in it, if fingernail catches groove on snout, new main wont seal correctly. Shouldnt need any rtv on the front main seal.

Id recommend cleaning the area really well, and pinpointing where its leaking from. If its still being difficult, may be time for dye additive in oil and UV light check.

• Owner

Be aware the dust lip will groove the crank but that is just the dust seal part the actual seal is curled inward towards number 1 cylinder. Make sure to get a NAPA seal being they have the proper installer sleeve for getting the seal over the crank. I Cummins seal installer isn't set up correctly and more than likely you will just fight the install till your damage the seal lip. 

This is a Cummins front seal and notice the sleeve inside is straight bore you'll never get the seal over the crank. 

1646777978612-png.947144

NAPA

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FPGTCS46174?impressionRank=1

That was my bad I am sorry I meant to say the front timing cover is what I was talking about. I saw that there is a gasket you can use from the 12v on the 24v. Sorry about that I just didn’t know if anyone has used it before and is it worth a try with the black rtv 

• Staff
1 hour ago, connors said:

. I saw that there is a gasket you can use from the 12v on the 24v.

Different gaskets.

FEL-PRO 12V timing cover gasket part #TCS46001

FEL-PRO 24V timing cover gasket part # TCS45994

Permatex Ultra Black will also work. 

"Permatex Ultra Black retains high flexibility and oil resistant properties through use of a patented adhesion system. Ultra Black is sensor safe, low odor, and non-corrosive with resistance to oil, shop fluids, and vibration. This sensor-safe, low odor, non-corrosive formula meets performance specifications of OE silicone gaskets and can be used on high flexibility and high oil resistant applications such as timing covers, transmission pans and oil pans."

" Permatex Ultra Grey Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker is designed specially for high-torque and high vibration applications, like those common in import engines.  Grey RTV has higher density when cured for higher vibration resistance and tight tolerance applications."

25 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

FEL-PRO 24V timing cover gasket part # TCS45994

Do you know if this is any good I have seen some videos on it

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I do it the way the factory did it, grey silcone sealant and that's it. 

I used your method from another forum you wrote in I must have just not had enough rtv in the one section. Speaking of which is it possible for the timing cover to warp. Is that a possibility of my problem

My cover was warped about 1/8”. I installed the Felpro gasket the first time but Dodd not use any sealant. 
Ran about a week and blew out. That is when I checked for warping. Used the same gasket but used a sealant AND put the 2 1 1/4”X5” plates to add pressure on the lip of the cover. 
Solved my oil leak.