• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Towing a large bumper pull on Monday

wil440

Got a ebay message from a guy in response to my ad for American 5th wheel and TT towing service

He wanted a cost to tow a bumper pull from South Ockendon near Thurrock in Kent (south east coast) to Newquay in Cornwall (south west coast)

South Ockendon is 130miles from me, Newquay is 300miles from South Ockendon and then around 300 miles home

So around 750 miles total give or take

I'm figuring my truck would be around 15 mpg (uk gallon) on the towing 300 miles so around £170 for that bit

Might get over 20 for the 450 or so miles not towing so at 20mpg that might be around £200 ish so if it cost me £370 in fuel I'd be happy at that.

I thought I'd overquoted @ £900 but he bit my arm off

Worst thing is it's South and part of the tow is around the M25 which is pants and it's 5000kg, my own bumper pull was 6500kg and my truck managed that ok, we'll see

• Staff
57 minutes ago, wil440 said:

I thought I'd overquoted @ £900 but he bit my arm off

"bit my arm of" British slang meaning overly excited to get something.  Next time add 10% and call it a 'Fuel Surcharge".  You can always go down in price.  

1 hour ago, wil440 said:

part of the tow is around the M25 which is pants

"which is pants" British slang meaning rubbish; something worthless.  Your tax money at work.

40 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

"bit my arm of" British slang meaning overly excited to get something.  Next time add 10% and call it a 'Fuel Surcharge".  You can always go down in price.  

"which is pants" British slang meaning rubbish; something worthless.  Your tax money at work.

@IBMobile  bang on, you'd fit right in here :)

think in all the M25 and everything inside it (London) and everything within a 60 mile radius is the very worst of the UK 

Well got it all moved 

768 miles round trip,  300 towing the trailer which turned out to be probably the worst 300 miles ever as the trailer brakes weren't working and Cornwall gets rather hilly, steepest was 11% up not bad, down not so good,  only good thing motorway the whole way except for first and last mile or so.

The trailer had been towed before by a Scania truck so all the bulbs were 24v so lights were like candles 

Glad it's done

truck used £350 in diesel 

And can someone turn the picture the right way up 

fixed.jpg

Edited by Me78569

22 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

done,  sucks that the brakes were not working.

Thanks, not sure why most if not all of my pictures come out upside down on here, they are right on my mobile, laptop etc, thing is if I rotate them first so they are upside down on my stuff they still come out upside down on here, same outcome if I post from Mobile or laptop too

15 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Is 24 volt truck the reason brakes don’t work?

My truck lights and brake are on UK 13 pin plug, my truck also has a UK 7 pin  but the brake controller wire isn't fitted into that one as there wasn't a spare pin hence why I went 13 pin

This trailer had 7 pin plug, I took a quick look but couldn't see the brake wire, thinking about it now (after the event) it had a 12v battery on the front with a couple of relays along side it wired into what I figured was the brake control, I wonder if it was actually 24v control hooked to a relay to operate the 12v brakes.

The Scania that was used to tow it was HGV so brakes wouldn't have been an issue anyway as it would weigh around 18k kg or more

• 2 weeks later...