• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Thinking of selling my Gen 2...help me!

Hutch24v

Fellow Gen2 owners. Just curious on some comments from those on this forum. I've seen similar questions posed on CF over the years. I've been looking at  purchasing a Gen 4/2018+ 3500 Ram.  Mostly i just need more cabin space than my 02 for the family/dogs/gear and some better creature comforts etc. I also have a truck camper so I need the leaf springs of the 1 ton and I'd like to get the Aisin transmission which comes as an option with the 3500. I've found a reasonably priced 2021 3500 close to me in the Tradesman trim. Quite a lot of truck. Am I mad here?  I've poured a lot of $$ and time into my 02 over the last 4 years. I may have buyers remorse if I part with it. Just curious friends on some comments. 

I tow with both, there’s no question the 4th gen is “better” but my 2nd gen is still my favorite. I’d never tow as much with my 2nd gen though mainly because mine doesn’t have an exhaust brake. In your case, it seems like you need more room, so a 4th gen or a 3rd gen mega cab is your best bet. Probably should see if the 21’ has had the CP4 recall done yet, looks like it’s turned into a hassle and long wait to get it done.

• Staff

I agree with @Mopar1973Man, I like the ease of reapirs on the 2nd gens. Parts are way cheaper as well. This is my first diesel pick up so I may be biased :whistle2: but towing and hauling with this truck compared to my previous half tons is night and day. I suppose one could make the same comparison for a 4th gen to a 2nd gen. 

If more space and gadgets is what you want/need then go for it. Maybe keep the '02 for a while until your 100% sure you want to part with it.

Keep in mind the 2nd gen trucks are getting premium money right now so don't take a big hit on it as a trade in.

I would never trade it in to a dealer. And I agree i like the ease of repairs except I've been doing too many lately! Why just the other day I was putting my headliner back in and had to loosen the A-pillar with the grab handle and it just disintegrated into a million pieces of plastic. Its crap like this just kills me on these 2nd Gens! 

• Staff

I like the 1st gens to, I'm a rather nostalgic person when it comes to cars/trucks. 

My grandpa had an old Dodge stake bed truck here on the farm when I was real young. I remember playing in it in the garage. Don't know what year it was but it had the narrow hood and fat front fenders. Guessing from the 40's maybe. It didn't run, never seen or heard it running but I enjoyed it. Lol

I dont know what more a man needs as far as towing I just pulled 22880 load and trailer. If I stick my foot in it it will start breaking stuff and I hadnt even hooked up my Quadzilla yet. But even if it was hooked up it wouldnt be turned up but for fuel (and timing coming soon I hope).