• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pump replacement (in tank)

• Staff

My 92 that I had for 23 years never had an in tank pump, ran off the cam,  mounted on the side of the block. Later on I changed the original mechanical pump, lasted 250 k, so I thought it time to change. Never had the newer version go more than 100k miles. When comparing new to old, bought from Cummins, the newer was built cheaply. I would go for one on the frame with a prefilter.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Only you don't want those screens in the bottom if they are there.  Remove those and provide a nice water separating prefilter before the lift pump then a high micron factory filter before the injection pump. In my opinion the 12 valve high micron factory filters under near the intake are way too dinky.

Forgive me if I am repeating what you probably already know... need emoticon that has the whole crowd rolling their eyes at me. :lol:

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
34 minutes ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

Thanks...now I have to remember that!  :)  Fuel system plumbing will be next summer/fall likley.

Forgot to say that it's good to have shut off ball valves on the fuel line before and after the prefilter. I helps prevent priming loss, fuel drain back. Also use them to shut off fuel in bad neighborhoods to prevent theft. I think there may be a way to put a lock on any of the two shut off valves. Haven't figured how. Mike knows a good way for security. I wouldn't want a truck like yours to get taken since it is an eye catcher.

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Forgot to say that it's good to have shut off ball valves on the fuel line before and after the prefilter. I helps prevent priming loss, fuel drain back. Also use them to shut off fuel in bad neighborhoods to prevent theft. I think there may be a way to put a lock on any of the two shut off valves. Haven't figured how. Mike knows a good way for security. I wouldn't want a truck like yours to get taken since it is an eye catcher.

yah I was planning on some ball valves...I have several things going for me for anti theft...its a manual, and its starting method will be...non standard!

• Like 1