Fuel pump replacement (in tank)

• Board Of Directors

My 92 that I had for 23 years never had an in tank pump, ran off the cam,  mounted on the side of the block. Later on I changed the original mechanical pump, lasted 250 k, so I thought it time to change. Never had the newer version go more than 100k miles. When comparing new to old, bought from Cummins, the newer was built cheaply. I would go for one on the frame with a prefilter.

Edited by JAG1

• Board Of Directors

Only you don't want those screens in the bottom if they are there.  Remove those and provide a nice water separating prefilter before the lift pump then a high micron factory filter before the injection pump. In my opinion the 12 valve high micron factory filters under near the intake are way too dinky.

Forgive me if I am repeating what you probably already know... need emoticon that has the whole crowd rolling their eyes at me. :lol:

Edited by JAG1

• Board Of Directors
34 minutes ago, PilotHouse2500 said:

Thanks...now I have to remember that!  :)  Fuel system plumbing will be next summer/fall likley.

Forgot to say that it's good to have shut off ball valves on the fuel line before and after the prefilter. I helps prevent priming loss, fuel drain back. Also use them to shut off fuel in bad neighborhoods to prevent theft. I think there may be a way to put a lock on any of the two shut off valves. Haven't figured how. Mike knows a good way for security. I wouldn't want a truck like yours to get taken since it is an eye catcher.

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Forgot to say that it's good to have shut off ball valves on the fuel line before and after the prefilter. I helps prevent priming loss, fuel drain back. Also use them to shut off fuel in bad neighborhoods to prevent theft. I think there may be a way to put a lock on any of the two shut off valves. Haven't figured how. Mike knows a good way for security. I wouldn't want a truck like yours to get taken since it is an eye catcher.

yah I was planning on some ball valves...I have several things going for me for anti theft...its a manual, and its starting method will be...non standard!

• Like 1