Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big Bad Blizzard on Its' Way...

JAG1

• Staff

Is everyone ready? Out west where we do not get so cold due to influence from the Pacific Ocean, we are supposed to get some snow with a bigger threat of an ice storm. Two years ago we had one knocked out the power for ten days. This time right around Christmas is when they saying it will show, I have two generators. I need to fill used laundry soap bottles with water, fill up the RV and de winterize and get more fuel for the generators, I'll be set.

You folks in the Midwest, upper plains supposed to get hammered as well as the East coast.

• Owner

I'm heading to Seattle WA tomorrow. Not looking forward to the haul but hopefully we can make it before the storm. I'm going to be hauling my girlfriend's youngest son back with me and all his personal stuff. I'm renting a Uhaul trailer and going to use Beast to do the trip back and forth. Let's see if I can at least do good on the MPG's there and back. Still 5.589 here for diesel. Ugh..

• Staff

Here in ohio they have issued winter storm watches. Saying we could see Blizzard conditions Friday. 

I'm going to work a short day on Wednesday and take Thursday and Friday off I think.

I need to get gas for the tractors and generator, fix my daughter's car and get wifey to the store. Then we should be good 

• Like 1

• Staff
6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

We are supposed to be flying out friday morning :lol:   might not be able to make it to the airport.

Don't know if it's possible but, need a snowmobile to run down the frozen river of yours. :thumb1:

• Staff

Nick you could do a wood stove insert to the fireplace. Stops all the warm air from escaping up the chimney due to the build in kit that goes with it and when the brick gets warm, stays warm for a long time.

Yep, that's the plan for the summer.   Gonna just burn cords and cords of wood this winter.    

Trying to decide between a stove or a fireplace insert.   The stove is cheaper and more efficient, but the wife really likes the fireplace look.   comes down to happier wife vs cost and efficiency.  

Short list is the Drolet Escape 1800 or a 36 ELITE from fireplacex  

Dunno.  the added cost of the full fireplace doesn't seem worth it to me, but wife.

• Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Yep, that's the plan for the summer.   Gonna just burn cords and cords of wood this winter.    

Trying to decide between a stove or a fireplace insert.   The stove is cheaper and more efficient, but the wife really likes the fireplace look.   comes down to happier wife vs cost and efficiency.  

Short list is the Drolet Escape 1800 or a 36 ELITE from fireplacex  

Dunno.  the added cost of the full fireplace doesn't seem worth it to me, but wife.

Isn't it like a wood stove that is partway in the fireplace but, sticks out enough for added heat like a free standing wood stove? It blocks off the heat loss, to some extent, going up the chimney? I have only had a glance at them a couple times. My experience is only with 3 places I have owned with wood stoves in which I installed all. Another option is the glass door front allowing the fireplace look.

Why not extend the brick or stone hearth to allow a free standing wood stove to stand out front of a blocked off chimney? That way its up higher, easier to see easier to load! I always have to get down on my knees to get it going or load mine on the floor. Took till 71 before my knees started acting up so can't complain but, blocking off the fireplace using it for the flue has everyone tolling me was the best thing they ever did for heat. That's of course those that did it.

Edited by JAG1