• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Navigating Website's New Format

IBMobile

• Staff

The old website format I had down pat but with this new format I'm having a heck of a time finding where things are now.  Two examples that I cannot find are the article section and the personal messenger area.    I use my laptop for 99.9% of the communications I do here. Michel has tweaked the format to be more phone friendly but has that now made it unfriendly to other users?

21 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

The old website format I had down pat but with this new format I'm having a heck of a time finding where things are now.  Two examples that I cannot find are the article section and the personal messenger area.    I use my laptop for 99.9% of the communications I do here. Michel has tweaked the format to be more phone friendly but has that now made it unfriendly to other users?

Do you not have a theme option at the bottom of the page on a computer?

I only use my phone and am a creature of habit. Once I learn something,  I don't like change. I'm running the old version on my phone for as long as it's available. 

I will however add, the new version looks really nice, but it's different,  so old version for me.

Edited by Max Tune

14 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Tried that and all it did was change the background from black to white.  The format is still the same with a bigger font, can find things.

Ya, I guess you're right. Went and tried it and it is the same, only black. That was for less cell phone battery drain.

Other than that, I am unaware of any change to the site. Everything is the same on mobile.  Sorry I couldn't help.

• Owner
On 1/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, IBMobile said:

Not exactly. I been doing custom themes for years every time there is a software update I would have to go all back through and fix all my custom coding. Being that like 80 to 85% of the traffiic mobile phones. This is a paid for theme that a 3rd party is providing and keeping all the code up to date for me. It was getting to time intense to manage the theme skin every time a update would wipe out all my code work every time. 

On 1/14/2023 at 3:28 PM, Max Tune said:

Do you not have a theme option at the bottom of the page on a computer?

The Invision factory theme is available but I'm not keeping it up to date at all. Now to manage two themes and keep code up to date was getting crazy so only paying members can use the the factory theme. Again no code is being update on that theme. I'm only keeping the Animate theme up to date. This factory theme is not offered to guest or non-paying. 

Just like this bit of code... Part of the ad banners but this doesn't layout correctly so I've got to modify the code... 

{{if $rowCount == 1 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}

To...

{{if $rowCount == 5 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}
		{{if $rowCount == 10 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}
		{{if $rowCount == 15 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}
		{{if $rowCount == 20 AND $advertisement = \IPS\core\Advertisement::loadByLocation( 'ad_forum_listing' )}}
			<li class="ipsDataItem">
				{$advertisement|raw}
			</li>
		{{endif}}

So I had to go back every time I was updating software and hunt down each and every modification and copy and paste in my code work. Then sometimes it would train wreck the site because now my custom code no longer works and I must contact the software provider (Invision Power Board) and get help on reworking the code to function correctly. Then sometimes they provide changes to give options and find out things are duplicated because now there is a option switch for the custom code I've been doing for years. :duh: 

Example signatures in the mobile view (not available back last year) so custom code need to be inserted. There is much more... So the custom theme saves me ton of time having to keep everything up to date and recreating every time I get software updates. 

https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/animate/

• Owner
1 hour ago, Max Tune said:

post-92663-0-12189000-1421243255.jpg.68f881aa49e7a9de885f5d0b1480cf55.jpg

🤣😂🤣😂

Sure am happy you know what all that means because it's Chinese to me...

Yeah this is what I deal with behind the scenes... Actual screenshot of the internal code of the website. Now you all understand I'm responsible for all the software myself. Anything I need I have to build myself to make the website work and display way we need it to display. This is why I dumped the custom theme skin because the code work was just eating way too much time to keep the site up to date. 

Make everything worse my server is NOT here at my house in Idaho. Actually its in Michigan. I have to work all this remotely from my PC to Michigan and do it on the same language as the server (CentOS 7 Linux) vs my PC here at home (Ubuntu 22.04 Linux). Then having to test everything for mobile. tablet and for desktop displays every time I made a code change.

Here is that very same code as posted above but actually looking at the spot where its at on the website. 

image.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 3 weeks later...