• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

I know there are a lot of guys out here that love their oversized tires and I will admit they look super cool. Now to make it all come together and make it a rocket ship on rails you need the proper final ratio. Optimal for most daily drivers that are here optimal final ratio to the ground is 3.73:1 after the tires. The problem is any size larger than a factory 265's on 3.55 gears is going to lower the ratio. I created a chart of the final ratio with some tire sizes to see the results. 

Subscribing members only... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

• Staff

Good info if you thinking about larger tires. There is a lot to consider if you want the truck to pull the same as it did on stock size and just behave the same while not towing. Keeps your EGT's down and keep the engine in the power band without stressing the drive train to the point of failures.

• Like 1

On your chart how does it work with the different transmissions? ie Automatics you definitely want smaller tires or go with 4.10s sooner than you would with a NV4500 or NV 5600.

I do like bigger tires and I'm right on the cusp of crossing over into the "red zone."  I have a G56 (later version) in my short box 4x2 98.5 Ram, 3.54 axle with 275/55R20 tires.  Being a lighter truck (scales right at 6000) and lower ride height I think I can get away with it.  EGTs are fine, it's snappy on the highway.  I have my speedo corrected and show about 2020 RPM at 70 mph  I generally get 22 on the highway doing 70-75.  I had two tanks right at 24 mpg driving to Wisconsin last fall.   Running just under 80 across S. Idaho and Utah netted 21.  Running some 75hp injectors Weston Shupe modified and Smarty CO3, as well as Colt Stage 3 cam and exhaust header with ball bearing 63mm turbo.

Towing my 24' Airstream Argosy I get 13.5 to 16 mpg.   Swapping over to the G56 from the auto sure made it nice for towing!