• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP Power Loss When....?.....

• Staff

New to the forum, but been on the sidelines as a reader for some time now.

I drive a 2001 24 valve NV5600 cab & chassis with HO 5.9.  I have an issue that seems to show up as the temperature drops, but not always when cooler.  The truck starts fine and takes off fine then all of a sudden power loss.  No throttle response until speed drops to 35 mph (in sixth gear, different in other gears) then power kicks back in and we are going again for a bit until power loss repeats.  

Have also noticed when this is happening I have no operating temperature increase on the temp gauge.  Can say the gauge is true due to no heat while the event is happening.  

Over the time I have owned the truck I have changed the crank position sensor, throttle position sensor, speed sensor, MAP sensor, new rebuilt NV 5600 and  I'm sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.  

Codes have shown injection pump bad, however, with discussion with Blue Chip pumps I find it hard to think this pump has been going bad for a couple years now with this being my daily driver.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Your description of the engine power loss indicates the engine is going into "limp mode".  The ECM will reduce fueling to a specific level when certain parameters are not met.   If you are getting codes pointing to the VP44, this could be the cause of triggering the limp mode. 

What are all of the codes you are showing?  These  DTC's are important as they are a good source of information to help diagnose whatever is going on.

25 minutes ago, hdph1957 said:

Have also noticed when this is happening I have no operating temperature increase on the temp gauge.  Can say the gauge is true due to no heat while the event is happening.

This could be normal.  The engine will not produce much heat while in the limp mode.

I drove my truck for one year (over 20,000 miles) with a P0216 code (timing issue) that would force the engine into limp mode on a regular basis.  I just learned how to drive the truck to avoid the limp mode until I replaced the VP44.

- John

• Owner

P0234 Boost pressure is too high. Wastegate issue on the turbo. Possibly you running bigger injectors without a tuner to manage boost pressure.

P0216 VP44 can't set timing as commanded. VP44 needs replaced.

P0380 and P0382 are grid heater solenoids are no longer receiving signal from the ECM. Might need to replace the solenoids.

P1693 is just a flag code. Typically only seen on the odometer to alert you that the other module has codes. ECM <---> PCM

• Staff
16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

P0234 Boost pressure is too high. Wastegate issue on the turbo. Possibly you running bigger injectors without a tuner to manage boost pressure.

P0216 VP44 can't set timing as commanded. VP44 needs replaced.

P0380 and P0382 are grid heater solenoids are no longer receiving signal from the ECM. Might need to replace the solenoids.

P1693 is just a flag code. Typically only seen on the odometer to alert you that the other module has codes. ECM <---> PCM

Running stock injectors, I was afraid the pump needs replaced, solenoids have been replaced - seems the codes keep popping up though.?

Any suggestions on where to get a pump at a good price?  Lost job of 20 plus yrs due to covid convictions and have yet to replace it.  So need to find something I can afford.  

Did replace the turbo soon after buying this truck with BladeRunner GT Series Turbocharger from aFe.  Don't know if that is the "wastegate issue" or not.  

Thx for the help really do appreciate it!  

• Staff
51 minutes ago, Doubletrouble said:

Not familiar with that turbo but do you drive the truck hard enough to work the waste gate? I recently discovered that I don't work mine hard enough to open the waste gate and it can cause a build up and eventually the gate gets stuck closed.

I now occasionally run her hard to clear it out. 

I run her pretty hard.  Towing heavy loads over open roads, hurry hurry hurry it seems all the time.  I wouldn't think this would be a waste gate problem?

• Owner
20 hours ago, hdph1957 said:

solenoids have been replaced - seems the codes keep popping up though.?

So you need to verify the solenoids are hooked up properly and that the wiring is in good order. There should be a black and tan per solenoid which is the ground wire. You might measure the ohms of the solenoid and the test your wiring between the solenoid and the ECM. Basically the ECM is trying to see a particulatr voltage drop and know the ECM has control over the solenoids but if there is improper solenoids used with improper ohm values its possible to trip the codes again. Wiring issues have to be verified too.

20 hours ago, hdph1957 said:

Did replace the turbo soon after buying this truck with BladeRunner GT Series Turbocharger from aFe.  Don't know if that is the "wastegate issue" or not.

Most likely because you have no tuner that handles the boost values for you. So if you capable of 20 PSI or greater the P0234 code will be thrown. If the turbo has a wastegate find out if you can reduce you max presssure to 18-19 PSI max then the P0234 code will not trip. Also if you trip the code the ECM will defuel pretty hard and power will remain low till the code is reset every time. If you still have the stock turbo I would reinstall it till you have the funds for a Quadzilla tuner.