• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

transmission troubles......again

ok need some help here please ......I replaced the clutch and flywheel this past april on my beast ......put in a south bend ....and everything went great until yesterday ....now the truck acts as if the throw out bearing is not completly disengaging the clutch ...ie synchros raking ....stick hard to push into various gears especially 3 rd and reverse.....any ideas other than tearing the whole tranny back out?

ok need some help here please ......I replaced the clutch and flywheel this past april on my beast ......put in a south bend ....and everything went great until yesterday ....now the truck acts as if the throw out bearing is not completly disengaging the clutch ...ie synchros raking ....stick hard to push into various gears especially 3 rd and reverse.....any ideas other than tearing the whole tranny back out?

Clutch disengage cylinder messed up maybe? How does the clutch pedal feel

--- Update to the previous post...

Clutch disengage cylinder messed up maybe? How does the clutch pedal feel

Jack up the rear end end and put it on stands then get in your truck and push in the clutch and start the beast up. Leave the clutch pedal in (clutch disengaged) and see if your rear tires are rotating. That would tell you real quick if you have a clutch disengage problem. If they don't spin with your foot to the floor on the clutch pedal, then you might have a transmission problem of some sort. Check fluid level and condition.

ok small update drove the truck about thirty miles to work yesterday morning with temps about freezing ...let the truck idle for about 25 min before leaving ....only proble was third gear grind a little ..which has been that way since i got the truck......today comeing home from work temps were only slightly warmer ...about 38 degrees ..no warm up on the truck and it did horrible had to double clutch and force the stick into every gear then to reverse into the parking spot at home had to wait for ten min at idle trying to force into reverse before it went ..........tomorrow is the jack test day due to to many things happening with the fire dept today .....used the wifes car the rest of today

havent called sb yet ...but i have been driving the truck ...found the gear box to be leaking /low on fluid refilled it and it seemed to do better for a about 200 miles .....the slave cylinder may also b an issue due to non bleeding of the line ....my fault new /first time changeing a clutch didnt know the slave cyclnder needed bleed out.hope to call sb on monday.

• 2 weeks later...

called south bend ,,,of course their recomendation was taking the tranny back down and bleeding the slave cylinder and replacing the fluid in it ......:banghead: so i decided that i would get several cans of engine degresser and pretty everything up in anticipation of dropping the tranny and doing some work .. while i was under there spraying everything down i got the bright idea to look in the inspection slot at the teeth hopeing i wouldnt need to call an order another clutch and flex plate ....much to my amazement i see a a bolt head laying at the bottom of the tranny looks to be about a 12 or 14 mm head ..no threads ....my best guess is this is a flex plate bolt ? ....next question is does any one know if this will affect how the truck shifts and also found that my truck had been stuck in four wheel drive high range ....(just got the front drive shaft back and installed )

called south bend ,,,of course their recomendation was taking the tranny back down and bleeding the slave cylinder and replacing the fluid in it ......:banghead: so i decided that i would get several cans of engine degresser and pretty everything up in anticipation of dropping the tranny and doing some work .. while i was under there spraying everything down i got the bright idea to look in the inspection slot at the teeth hopeing i wouldnt need to call an order another clutch and flex plate ....much to my amazement i see a a bolt head laying at the bottom of the tranny looks to be about a 12 or 14 mm head ..no threads ....my best guess is this is a flex plate bolt ? ....next question is does any one know if this will affect how the truck shifts and also found that my truck had been stuck in four wheel drive high range ....(just got the front drive shaft back and installed )

Well first I would try bleeding the clutch disengage cylinder. Easy to do and you don't have to remove the transmission. It really sounds like it is an issue with the clutch not being disengaged completely by the disengage cylinder or there are some broken fingers on the pressure plate. NOW, as far as the bolt you can see lying in your bell housing, that will need to be addressed for sure.. Try to grab it with a magnet, I can tell you where it goes by looking at it, but it sounds like one of the flywheel-to-crankshaft securing bolts or a bolt to secure the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel. Either way, if one fell out it is more than likely there are others that weren't properly installed and torqued. Sucks I know......

Good to hear about not having to drop the tyranny on the slave cylinder bleeding process I was under the impression that you had to in order to bleed it ...if I can get the time on Wednesday to drop the tranny meaning if I can find enough ppl around willing to help now that its turned chilly outside I will snapping a few pics an let ya see wich bolt it is ....maybe then I will figure out how to post the pics of the body work that I did to the truck along withe new paint

When you replaced the clutch did you Replace the slave cylinder also or is it still just the stock slave. If not, even rebleeding my not help. I had to replace the slave with a new SB HD slave it comes already bled and it actually has some adjustment to it. Just my experience.Thanks Rob

• Like 1

yes the slave clyinder is mounted to the bellhousing on the drivers side of the tranny it is held on with two 13 mm bolts/studs. and the bolt in the bellhousing i would agree with smokey that it is most likely a pressure plate bolt. for that the tranny will need to come back out.:banghead:

• Like 1

I have the same problem my clutch crap out on my 98 dodge 1 ton 5 speed and i put a south bend ok13 inch clutch and since then its being hard to shift .I torqued and lock tight the flywheel bolts so thats not the problem i tryed a new hyd clutch from dodge and no improvement im wondering if a person needs the extra stroke hyd clutch cyl from south bend ?