• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Common Rail Issues

ISX

Our service truck is a 2007 CR automatic and there are several issues I am wondering if anyone else has ran into. It has 150k. Completely stock.First is the windshield wipers. When on the slowest setting, they will wipe one, then again with time in between like normal, then it will wipe twice without stopping, then it will act normal for 3 wipes or so, then it will wipe 3 times in a row or 2 in a row. Not sure what the issue is with that.The ignition now thinks the key is still in it when you take the key out as all the dings are still going along with whatever light stays on, on the instrument panel when the key is in the ignition. It takes a long time to start, like 2 full seconds. Is that normal? Sometimes it takes 3 seconds. Just curious on all this, not really an issue of mine but I am wondering why it does all those things.

Our service truck is a 2007 CR automatic and there are several issues I am wondering if anyone else has ran into. It has 150k. Completely stock. First is the windshield wipers. When on the slowest setting, they will wipe one, then again with time in between like normal, then it will wipe twice without stopping, then it will act normal for 3 wipes or so, then it will wipe 3 times in a row or 2 in a row. Not sure what the issue is with that. The ignition now thinks the key is still in it when you take the key out as all the dings are still going along with whatever light stays on, on the instrument panel when the key is in the ignition. It takes a long time to start, like 2 full seconds. Is that normal? Sometimes it takes 3 seconds. Just curious on all this, not really an issue of mine but I am wondering why it does all those things.

I've had the wiper issue since the truck was just over a year old. It's a module on/in/near the wiper motor and is a PITA to change and not cheap $$$$wise at that either. I could've had it fixed under warranty, but back then I didn't have time.:( I've not had any problems with the ignition..........I probably just jinxed myself!!!!! Thanks ISX!!!:pray: The CR's don't fire up the same as the 1st and 2nd gens for the simple fact that they need to build pressure in the rail. Longer than 3 seconds would be a concern to me. Could be the injectors are leaking/shot, or the RPRV is shot, or the LP is weak, or CP3 could be weak, or fuel filter getting plugged. My '99 would start with barely turning and holding the key. My 04.5 takes a second, sometimes two. Hope that helps.:smart:
  • Like 1

I didn't know the windshield wiper issue was common. Interesting. Forgot about the rail having to pressurize, makes sense. Ignition is probably from him beating it to death, just wondered if it was something common. Thanks Dorkweed.

This one is pretty well held to the floor all day long. Not sure why it hasn't blown up yet other than being a cummins. How exactly do you turn the high idle on using the cruise? Do you just turn the cruise on and hit accel while you are idling? I don't know if it has the flash for it or not but I would know if I knew what to do to make it idle up.

The "high idle" should be in there already........it's an '07. My '04.5 has had the "high idle" enabled from the time I bought it. An '07 without it should be taken to the "stealership" to have it enabled, if it not!!! It's in the programming!!! Maybe they were thinking that "Missoury/Missery" wasn't "cold" enough to have it enabled!!! That's what I'd do!!!:smart::thumbup2: Good luck!!!:thumbup2:

There are 2 kinds of fast idle. One is automatic, and can't be turned off. Thats the one that goes on ambient and coolant temp. The other is the cruise control version, which up until '10 needed to be enabled at the dealership.

I thought that the "cruise control" version was only available for the '03-'04 trucks.........and that the "automatic" was only available after the '04.5 versions came out. And at that, both had to be enabled by the stealership, if not done so from the factory!!! Not arguing, just saying!!:smart:

• Staff

The cold weather one is standard, and can't be turned off, on all HPCR's. It works as such..~32*F and below: after 2 minutes of idle and coolant below 180*F the idle will ramp up to 1,000. ~15*F and below: rpms will ramp up to 1,000 as soon as the truck starts, then after being shut-off by brake, drive, etc, it will re-ramp up to 1,000 after 2 minutes below 180*. 04-current can have the cruise control fast idle enabled, some 03's can but they are rare and all seem to be late 03's. This was done for PTO use, and doesn't take any mods on an auto, but takes grounding the #22 pin on the ECM for manuals (tells the ECM a PTO is in use). This feature was not turned on as a standard until 2010, and I still haven't read how to make it work on the manual trucks in 2010+. I have both enabled, and the #22 pin grounded and use the manual one very often. The automatic one kicks on when it needs to, but usually I have it at 1,100 rpms anyhow and supersede the automatic one.If you haven't grounded the #22 pin on yours you just have the automatic version, even thou Smarty has enabled the manual fast idle.

I thought that the "cruise control" version was only available for the '03-'04 trucks.........and that the "automatic" was only available after the '04.5 versions came out. And at that, both had to be enabled by the stealership, if not done so from the factory!!! Not arguing, just saying!!:smart:

Actually backwards. The 03 was ecm controlled temp activated only just the same as the 2nd gens and do not have the cruise control option. Diference is that it will ramp up even if the engine temp is already warm if the intake temp is cold enough, I have 2 friend with 03's and they will automatically ramp up in cold conditions even after its been warmed up to operating temps. 04 and newer have both temp activated and cruise control activated modes.

• Staff

Not to steal the thread but any better infp on grounding the #22 pin for the manuals. My 05 is a lonestar edition that I bought in Texas so it's not set up for cold weather. I had to add the block heater to it.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/35010-high-idle-3.html http://picasaweb.google.com/OC0788/HighIdlePinConfig# http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/343338-post21.html
  • Like 1

Thanks for the search work. As much as I'm on CF I never thought to even look there for the tech info. Thanks again.

Hence my avatar!!!! :thumbup2: There was some great guys and gals there, but the administrators and moderators (you know who) went stupid/omnipotent over there. And I was one of the first 200 or so members. That's all. Heck, that's the most I've thought of "that place" for a long time. :lmao::lmao2:

Hence my avatar!!!! :thumbup2: There was some great guys and gals there, but the administrators and moderators (you know who) went stupid/omnipotent over there. And I was one of the first 200 or so members. That's all. Heck, that's the most I've thought of "that place" for a long time. :lmao::lmao2:

Thats interesting how it all turned out and how the originals all split from there. You were 200 Mike was like 619, I was 1075. Now they got like 120,000.

Never looked to see what # I am but there are some strange things that happen there amongst mods and admin now. Kind of a high school mini click now. I haven't personally had any problems yet but I mind my own until I get to pissed....

In all honesty, it's been "clickish" for a long time now!!!:cookoo::cookoo::banghead: