• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Submerging your axles results

I came across this and I think everyone should see it just in case some people are unaware of the effects of submerging their axle. I know a lot of people just worry about the engine sucking in water but the axle can get filled with mud/water as well. Not as catastrophic as the engine seizing but definitely something to be aware of if you happen to submerge the axle. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/337867-what-your-diff-oil-should-not-look-like.html

I got my Road Runner in deep water many years ago... water was up to the seat inside but not up to the carberator. There was water in the engine, transmission rear end, gas tank... carpets & trunk. At least it was FRESH water when rain flooded an underpass on I95.

• Owner

Couple things I spoted about that picture...

First take notice that a normally loaded differential holds about 3 quarts of gear fluid. Your lucky if there was a quart in the picture. The the other thing is if this person was really taking care of his vehicle he would be doing monthly inspections of the fluids and would caught it before it did cause problems like myself...

Caught it early the rust just barely started...

post-2-138698172394_thumb.jpg

This is about 2" deep in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket...

post-2-138698172384_thumb.jpg

So in his pic...

Posted Image

Posted Image

That just pure abuse... :nono:

Lack of inspections checking fluid levels and condition... :rolleyes:

If you read the thread you would have seen that he was going to change it as he always does when he goes out bogging but he got caught up doing something else and forgot to change it. Nevertheless I just wanted to show what happens since a lot of people only worry about the engine sucking in water.

I just got in both the front and read Mag Hytec differential covers to install on my truck. I am coming up on 69,000 miles and plane to change the diff. oil and install both covers at the same time. Got a real nice deal on a Mag Hytec Dana 80 and Dana 60 vented diff. covers for $453.15 delivered from Diesel Power Products. :thumbup2: The magnetic dipstick makes frequent checking of the diff. oil MUCH more convenient. The magnetic drain plug makes changing diff. MUCH MUCH easier as well PROVIDED you catch it BEFORE the diff. oil gets fowled. :smart:

Couple things I spoted about that picture...

First take notice that a normally loaded differential holds about 3 quarts of gear fluid. Your lucky if there was a quart in the picture. The the other thing is if this person was really taking care of his vehicle he would be doing monthly inspections of the fluids and would caught it before it did cause problems like myself...

Caught it early the rust just barely started...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2117[/ATTACH]

This is about 2" deep in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2116[/ATTACH]

So in his pic...

Posted Image

Posted Image

That just pure abuse... :nono:

Lack of inspections checking fluid levels and condition... :rolleyes:

I agree that is pure abuse. That is also the kind of person that complains about all the factory sealed parts being junk, well of course when they are sealed and greased from the factory and you contaminate them with water they will eventually fail. Premature failure and wear can be caused by operator error not just manufacturing flaws. Even on parts that are still grease able you have done a lot of damage by the time you replace the grease.

Why anyone would destroy their diff by submerging it is beyond me, but to each their own I suppose.

Amazing amount of mud in there! Did he pour it in with a funnel? I've never seen anything like it. I did find a Ford based V8 I/O marine engine that got towed in dead. Sea water cooled. I couldn't get / did not understand the dipstick... got coffee colored stuff on the stick. After I pulled the engine, I dropped the pan... just to see whatsup. It was full of coffee colored cottage cheese! Engine had started running crappy so the guy turned it up a little in a vain attempt to make it home. It did not make sense until I found a threaded plug in the head under the valve cover with a square driver indent... that had rusted through. The raw water pump kept the cooling pressurized spitting salt water into the oil. Engine kept running until it filled up completely turning the oil into cream of crap... until it got to the breather & swallowed it. Cost the guy a new motor.Never thought to take pictures of it. Glad we opened it over a plastic tarp as the oil catch tray didn't hold all the glog.