• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remote Keyless Entry

New member, new owner, first post. Picked up a '99 3500 quad yesterday. Been reading the owner's manual and it seems the truck may be equipped with the remote keyless entry system, but I have no transmitters. Reasons I believe the truck is equipped with the system is that the doors automatically locked shortly after pulling out of the parking lot, and the interior lights stay lit for aprox 30 seconds after the door is closed. The truck also has many other options like power windows, power seat with lumbar adj, overhead console with compass/trip computer, auto dimming mirror, etc., so RKE would seem like a logical option in this truck. I'd like to get a transmitter (or two) - are they strictly a dealer item?Thanks for your time and patience,Joe in St Louis

On my 99 it had a little green light on the rear view mirror that indicated the security was armed when you locked it with the remote. There is a receiver that you could look for but I can not remember right off where it is. You can get the key fobs from other sources but MOPAR has a little thing that will only allow for the programming of IIRC 2 FOBS, if there have already been 2 more programmed other than the 2 it came with I think the dealer then has to reset things. Found this out the hard way with an 03 Jeep Liberty we bought and only got 1 FOB then the wife lost one and we could only get 1 more programmed as we found out the previous owner already did one then the dealer would charge a lot more for a reset.

I too have a 99, on the bottom of my overhead consol there is a little red light. When I lock my doors that red light will start flashing to show that the security system has been activated. As for the doors locking, they will do that when you reach 15 mph or more, it is an automatic thing on my truck and has nothing to do with keyless entry. I also have a green light on my mirror, but that is for the auto darkening feature. There is a way to program more fob's, but you need one working fob to program more, so your best bet I think would be to go to the dealership and if your truck is equipted with a keyless entry they would be able to program one or two for you. Also you might be able to check if you have a security system, sit in the truck and lock the doors with the door lock switch. Watch the light on the bottom of the overhead consol until it flashes at regular interval, about 20 seconds I think. Then open your door and the horn should sound. Might give that a try first before going to the dealership???

Thanks for the helpful recommendations. I did call a dealer, he did a VIN look-up & told me it was equipped with keyless entry - forgot to ask about the security system. I ordered a transmitter ($60) & had them program it for me ($29.99). Have not determined if it has the security system yet. Jut got the title transferred, paid taxes, & licensed today - check book took a hit alpha!Appreciate the help!Joe in St Louis

• 3 months later...
I just tried to have two FOBs I bought off ebay yesterday. The dealer couldn't program them because they weren't the same model/type/part number that came with the truck originally. New FOB at the dealer is $96 after tax. The first link posted are actually the ones I bought for my truck. Small world.:lol:

I just tried to have two FOBs I bought off ebay yesterday. The dealer couldn't program them because they weren't the same model/type/part number that came with the truck originally. New FOB at the dealer is $96 after tax.

I was able to buy the correct key fobs for my truck and they programmed up according to the enclosed instructions. Did you check to ensure the fobs you ordered were the correct fobs for your year and model truck or email the seller about verifying the correct fobs? Here is another link to a key fob you may want to look into. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ram-Dakota-Durango-Keyless-Entry-Remote-56045497-/170612496440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3ARam+2500%7CYear%3A2002&hash=item27b94c1838

I was able to buy the correct key fobs for my truck and they programmed up according to the enclosed instructions. Did you check to ensure the fobs you ordered were the correct fobs for your year and model truck or email the seller about verifying the correct fobs? Here is another link to a key fob you may want to look into. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ram-Dakota-Durango-Keyless-Entry-Remote-56045497-/170612496440?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3ARam+2500%7CYear%3A2002&hash=item27b94c1838

Thanks for the link. The two that I bought were supposed to be compatible with my truck but apparently either Dodge has more tricks up its sleeve with that stuff or the seller had no idea and I didn't research them enough before buying. :banghead:

This is all good, but is there a way to add remote keyless entry to my truck that did not come with it?

Sparky, yes it can be done, and fairly easily..

The main deal is, do you already have power door locks? If so, a basic RKE system is about 30 minutes to wire..

IGN

12V

GND

PARK LT

LOCK

UNLOCK

The OE doorlocks are 5-wire reversing polarity. Most aftermarket KE systems are negative or positive trigger for L/U signals.

A 5wire requires the use of 2 SPDT relays, if the KE doesn't have built-in relays. so you'd wire it as so:

Posted Image

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...