• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Troubleshooting dead end on dead pedal. Apologize for a long thread in advance

• 4 months later...

Hey ya'll,i am back with an update.:banghead: So after a year of having no symptoms, i am having symptoms again. Not really sure what is going on. I have not gone thru any of the routine troubleshooting steps just yet. I am back for some more schooling!!!! So now the situation is that i am having dead pedal above 70 MPH. I can punch the gas on the highway, tranny goes thru its automatic gear shifts, than if i try to accelerate above 70, nothing.:wtf:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='

So now the situation is that i am having dead pedal above 70 MPH. I can punch the gas on the highway, tranny goes thru its automatic gear shifts, than if i try to accelerate above 70, nothing.:wtf:[/quote']

Okay, so i checked the lift pump by performing the lift pump diagnostic (TSB 14-002-03 Diesel Transfer Pump Diagnosis) procedure. This procedure tests the "Flow" capability of the transfer pump. It states that if sufficient fuel reaches the injection pump from the low-pressure system, then the cause of the engine performance problem(s) lies elsewhere.

The results are as follows:

I bumped the starter and the transfer pump was activated, which resulted in more than 45 fluid ounces, therefore low-pressure fuel system was okay.

I observed foam within the container. Is this the bubbles that the procedure is refering to? If not, any ideas?

I tried to use the cruise control, but noticed that there was some fuel delivery issues. Has anybody out there run into problems with cruise control immediately after replacing VP44? Can this be the root cause of my fuel delivery to VP44? If i were disable cruise control by means of removing fuse, do any of you foresee a problem with that? Any thoughts?

What do you mean by fuel delivery problems with cruise control? Cruise control is vacuum operated on your truck.

Not necessarily. According to this article posted here, www.allpar.com/model/ram/1994-ram.html, it seems that electronic cruise control was added and i quote, "Finally, in 2001, the company added electronic cruise control to the manual-transmission diesel, made four-wheel antilock disk brakes (with dual-piston rear calipers and electronic variable brake proportioning) standard on Ram 2500 and Ram 3500."

How can i find out if i have the vacuum or the electronic version?

Mine is an automatic. I did not know that about the manuals. I just didn't think you were describing a dead pedal issue. It only happens over 70? Mine happens in the 60's. Also mine comes and goes and isn't predictable. If you can't turn a big gear it is more likely a fuel delivery problem and not a dead pedal. I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Mine is an automatic. I did not know that about the manuals. I just didn't think you were describing a dead pedal issue. It only happens over 70? Mine happens in the 60's. Also mine comes and goes and isn't predictable. If you can't turn a big gear it is more likely a fuel delivery problem and not a dead pedal. I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

I have an automatic as well. I guess i read too fast and didn't catch the manual transmission part:doh:. Aren't the transmissions the same? i don't have an HO, therefore the tranny's should be the same, correct? It started at over 70, but now it seems that it happens within 30 and 70 and at sporadic intervals as well. I am definitely not describing a dead-pedal issue. Did this issue arise as soon as you switched out the vp44? I tried setting the cruise control and it did not want to work. I tried a few more times and then it worked. When i pressed on the brake to disengage, the engine rev'd up as if i was pushing on the gas pedal, btw cruise control has not yet disengaged, i pressed the brake even harder and then finally the cruise control disengaged. Does cruise control work on your truck?

I don't know about the rest but the rear discs were a mid-year change... My truck has rear discs: 2001 1/2...

Do You have rear discs?

Not necessarily. According to this article posted here, www.allpar.com/model/ram/1994-ram.html, it seems that electronic cruise control was added and i quote, "Finally, in 2001, the company added electronic cruise control to the manual-transmission diesel, made four-wheel antilock disk brakes (with dual-piston rear calipers and electronic variable brake proportioning) standard on Ram 2500 and Ram 3500."

How can i find out if i have the vacuum or the electronic version?

I don't know about the rest but the rear discs were a mid-year change... My truck has rear discs: 2001 1/2...

Do You have rear discs?

No, i have drums.

--- Update to the previous post...

yes, i have already reset the apps on various occasions. I think i am going to diagnose the apps just to eliminate that area.

As for the cruise control, it was working fine prior to replacing vp44 and APPS.

I just took it out for a drive at lunch and noticed something. At take-off as the transmission starts to go thru its shift changes, it shifts three times without any hiccups, than after the final transmission shift the truck starts to miss, like if it is being starved of fuel. I think if it was dead pedal, it would happen at the beginning when i am initially accelerating and not at the last transmission shift. CAJFLYNN - is this what happens to your truck? please explain your symptoms. It seems that you live with the same problem. Have you figured it out?

• 3 weeks later...

It's been two days since the fix and all is well. thank you all for your valuable input. this exercise has given me the opportunity to get to know the fuel system up close and personal. I think we can put this thread to rest. I know if i have any other problems, it's sure not going to be the fuel system, at least for a couple of years. So let's go over my original post. Symptoms:White smoke & Dead pedalDiagnosis 1:Replaced stock lift pump with new OEM Carter Pump and new filter.Result:No sign of White smoke & Dead pedal for a little over a year. Diagnosis 2:Replaced stock lift pump with new OEM Carter Pump.Result:No sign of White smoke & Dead pedal for about less than a year. Diagnosis 3:Replaced stock VP44 with new OEM VP44. Result:No sign of White smoke, but i did have Dead pedal issues for more than a year. Diagnosis 4:Replaced stock APPS with new TIMBO Apps. Result:No sign of White smoke, but i did have Dead pedal issues for more than a year. I don't think truck liked this so set off ABS and BRAKE light:doh:. Took it to mechanic and found ABS module failure:mad:. Mechanic cleared ECM with DRB III and all is well for awhile. Truck died with a 1/4 tank full:mad:. Diagnosis 5: Replaced stock clips from black hose nipple with worm gear type that hold together fuel line from fuel cannister and fuel line from VP44. I stumbled into this one. I tried to determine if i had air in the system, therefore attaching a clear hose that was smaller than the black hose nipple, which resulted in a tight fit. took truck out for a drive to see if had any air bubbles(none detected). noticed that clips could be removed with hands and not pliers:stuned:. re-installed black hose nipple, cleared out air from system.Result:No sign of White smoke, Dead pedal issues gone. Power back to normal. Symptoms:ABS and BRAKE light: Diagnosis 1:Replaced ABS module with one found in the junk yard with same year and manufactured at same plantResult:Took it to dealer and had them reprogram. My lights are still on. Mechanic finally threw in the towel. At start-up lights are off, but once i get going, they turn on:mad:. Symptoms:Truck died at 1/4 tank: Diagnosis 1: Under review.Result: TBD Hope this helps someone out there. Word of advice. Beware of the wooden nickels!