• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone using their laptop as OBD2 Scanner?

yes i have a cheapie...it is a chinese nock-off elm 327 "v1.5" but simple HyperTerminal commands revealed it is a v1.3a...the problem i have run into is:the elm327 has a default order it uses to select the "language" to "talk" to the OBD2. i think mine has 11. some are faster than others. so for live data...you can only get so much data in 1 sec. the more PIDs that you monitor the slower they refresh. the slower ones are on top of that "default order". perfect for getting OBD2 codes and monitoring 1-2 PIDs. some cars can talk multiple "languages" but you have to use hyperterminal,zterminal,etc to send the command to use the language you want to TRY to use and decipher ASCII realtime...free software is OLD and no support, and my dodge is not fully OBD2 compliant, battery on my laptop is toast...don't have an extension cord long enough for a highway run to show conditions under load. it has worked very well for every gasser that i have used it on.i payed less than $22 to my door...it came from hong kong. as a hobbyist, i would do it all over!:thumbup2:hope this helps

Buy a cheap inverter to plug the laptop into... Problem fixed... Or Sell me the software and cord... Problem fixed...

OBD2 cords with usb connectors are cheap. Linux & some Linux obd2 software is free. I expect that much more information is available than simple list of codes. I'm hoping to take some of the guess work out of the diagnosis & change from guessing to well...diagnosing.

• 1 month later...