• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blue Smoke During Cold Starts

Hey its just recently gotten cold here and Ive noticed when it has set over night and is cold when it first starts up is blows some blue smoke. I was wondering if this is normal or not. It does it when it gets less than 20 degrees and goes away after a few minutes. I have a basically stock truck just wondering if this is normal or not and what causes it. Thanks

Is your volt gauge still swaying? If the grid isn't doing it's thing it might smoke a little more than usual. Otherwise I don't think I would worry about a little smoke. When it doesn't clear up after a minute is when I would be concerned.

Yea the grid heaters are working fine and goes away in a few minutes. Thanks What causes this anyone know?

Engine is cold so the fuel isn't burning very good since combustion temps are so cold. Gets worse as the engine wears since compression is what heats it up, so as you lose compression, you lose that initial heat. But I have 330k and it still clears up after a few minutes.

what about some white smoke and a slight stumble after a cold start? is this normal also once it starts even after the first stumble everyone once in a while it stumbles again but picks right up and idles great this is of course when i am leavin work and its sat all day.

what about some white smoke and a slight stumble after a cold start? is this normal also once it starts even after the first stumble everyone once in a while it stumbles again but picks right up and idles great this is of course when i am leavin work and its sat all day.

Once it starts it will get all the cylinders up to temp pretty instantly and smooth out. If it stumbled every now and then after that, then something is wrong. Sensor might be dirty, might be a tiny air leak that is purging itself out..

• Owner

20*F might show a bit of hazy blue smoke... Even mine does it on cold morning when unplugged and left out in the cold. It might stumble a few beats but typically straightens out... But you'll notice a very light blue haze of smoke. But like I said before if the smoke is heavy and looks like ISX video then there is a pump issue... :spend:

Yea it is just mostly a blue haze the lasts for a few minutes until the egt's get warmed up. Also I have put a hotrod injection pump on mine this summer after my old one went out. It has advanced timing could that have something to do with it?

That youtube video was smoking because I advanced the timing.. It injects the fuel too early before enough heat is present so it doesn't burn the fuel very good and just blows it out as smoke.

Hey its just recently gotten cold here and Ive noticed when it has set over night and is cold when it first starts up is blows some blue smoke. I was wondering if this is normal or not. It does it when it gets less than 20 degrees and goes away after a few minutes. I have a basically stock truck just wondering if this is normal or not and what causes it. Thanks

The blue smoke means unburned fuel. A light transparent Haze is normal especially 20F, not plugged up and Hot-Rod Pump..If this is a Cloud that lastest for..O..say 3-5min... I would have to say you have an injector dripping overnight or when the truck is parked for 10hrs.+..the fuel pressure in tha injector &line leaks off due to a week spring or particialy stuck open check valve in the nozzle itself...fuel gathers on top of the piston..when you start the engine the next time it smokes till it burns off the excess fuel on top of the piston.."IF THIS IS THE CASE..BE WARNED THAT OVER A PERIOD OF TIME THIS PROBLEM WILL RESULT IN WHATS CALLED CYLINDER WASH DOWN & WILL RESULT TO EXCESSIVE WEAR OR SCAR'S ON CYL. WALLS, WEAR OR BROK RINGS, PISTONS ETC...:cel:

Richie

• 4 weeks later...

So mine gets plugged in when the outside temp is fifteen or less anything warmer than that it will fire on the first try everytime its got 280k on it and I noticed for the first time that when it doesnt have its two stroke oil added to the fuel it will smoke for 3 to five minutes in a blue smokey haze and it'll make anyones eyes tear up if you walk through it thus making me think I have excessive fueling... I am worried that a fuel system component may not be functioning properly because the two stroke oil appears to be covering up a problem or am i just being paranoid on a side note this summer it had excessive black smoke issue which was cured with a new ecm are these at all related and this truck starts better than any other truck I have had no joke it barely sounds like it even turns over before it fires even at twenty with no plug in and after sitting overnight. :shrug: