• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HY35 to HX35 swap

Think I am going to do this.Found this turbo - its a reman off a FEDEX truck.I am 99% sure its a HX35WJust wanna see if anyone knows if it will fit -> looks like it might be missing the part from the exhaust turbine back to the downpipe ???? If so - does it have a name and where can I get one - or can I used my existing one ?? :shrug:Basically will this work.post-10132-138698173468_thumb.jpg

By looking at the pic it loks like you could swap the pipe flange from a clamp style to the flared style by swapping with your old turbo. so then your down pipe would hook up...

Lost me..... I don't get where the downpipe hooks into the back of exhaust turbine housing (back of turbo to exhaust) Heres a "comlete" one .....post-10132-138698173485_thumb.jpg So the part betwen the downpipe and the exhaust backing of the turbo is on this one - right ...... So you think my existing one will work ......... with the HY .......... and how does it attach the back of the turbo in the pics above ??? :shrug:

Lost me.....

I don't get where the downpipe hooks into the back of exhaust turbine housing (back of turbo to exhaust)

Heres a "comlete" one .....[ATTACH=CONFIG]2224[/ATTACH]

So the part betwen the downpipe and the exhaust backing of the turbo is on this one - right ......

So you think my existing one will work ......... with the HY .......... and how does it attach the back of the turbo in the pics above ??? :shrug:

I think there was another thread a while back on here regarding this same issue that i responded to.

Basicly any turbo you go with other than another HY35 will require you to replace the downpipe or some serious modification to yours..

LOOK AT THE FIRST PHOTO OF THE HX35..LOOK AT THE REAR AND SEE THE GROOVED FLANGE ..THE DOWNPIPE IS THE SAME AS THIS AND IT BUTS UP AGAINS...THERE IS A "v" BAND CLAMP THAT GOES AROUND BOTH AND PULLS THE 2-TOGETHER TO FORM A SEAL

Richie:thumbup2:

I think there was another thread a while back on here regarding this same issue that i responded to.

Basicly any turbo you go with other than another HY35 will require you to replace the downpipe or some serious modification to yours..

LOOK AT THE FIRST PHOTO OF THE HX35..LOOK AT THE REAR AND SEE THE GROOVED FLANGE ..THE DOWNPIPE IS THE SAME AS THIS AND IT BUTS UP AGAINS...THERE IS A "v" BAND CLAMP THAT GOES AROUND BOTH AND PULLS THE 2-TOGETHER TO FORM A SEAL

Richie:thumbup2:

Dunno - kinda lost me. I understand thats required for anything above a hx35/hx40 - but everything I've read says a HX35 and hx35/40 is pretty much a direct port.

I messaged a few turbo guys and dealers on CF and they confirmed this. So :shrug:

The 2 issues I see with this turbo are

1) Has no rear elbow from back of exhaust housing to mate to the downpipe - looks like my existing one of HY should work ..... but hard to tell exactly

2) The compression outlet (and oil outlet) is pointing teh wrong way ..... appraently this can be rotated with no big drama - was just done this way for the fedex/buses they were on .....

LIke I said - not 100% sure - but thats what a few guys have told me :thumbup2:

Well I bought it so we will find out :)

thx man

John..after lookin at Mopars thread, it looks like Its possiable you can swap you elbo from the HY35 to the HX35 {didn't no the HX had same bolt patteren}..but thats going to be spliting hairs i think IMHO.. I think that what you gain in exhaust wheel & housing size of the HX35 your giving most of it back by reusing the elbo from the HY35 IMHO

Richie

ok...soooo..i can get a hx35 and remove the flanged 5 bolted part off of mine.since it is a hy35..and bolt it to a hx35..and then bolt it to the manifold and hook it back up to the exhaust down pipe???am i unstanding this correctly?:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

--- Update to the previous post...

mopar..i know you are reading this...if this is true..what will i see ,feel,notice,etc etc..on my truck??:drool::drool::drool::drool:

John..after lookin at Mopars thread, it looks like Its possiable you can swap you elbo from the HY35 to the HX35 {didn't no the HX had same bolt patteren}..but thats going to be spliting hairs i think IMHO.. I think that what you gain in exhaust wheel & housing size of the HX35 your giving most of it back by reusing the elbo from the HY35 IMHO

Richie

Hey Richie. No thats ok - I just wasn't sure if I was following what you were saying - as it wasn't what I understood - but having never touched a turbo before - couldn't be 100%.

So what do you mean regarding the elbow ? Aren't the elbows basically the same also between HY35 and H35 (and thats why they are interchangeable) ?? :shrug: The only real difference should be the exhaust side housing right ?? And thats what gives the EGT gain ........ allowing exhaust gasses to escape quicker with less backlash ??

ok...soooo..i can get a hx35 and remove the flanged 5 bolted part off of mine.since it is a hy35..and bolt it to a hx35..and then bolt it to the manifold and hook it back up to the exhaust down pipe???am i unstanding this correctly?:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

mopar..i know you are reading this...if this is true..what will i see ,feel,notice,etc etc..on my truck??:drool::drool::drool::drool:

White :) As I understand it they are interchangeable - see what Mike and Richie come back with on my last post. The only difference is the 12cm exhaust housing over the 9cm for HY. So only difference should be

1) Slightly more lag at bottom end .....slower spool up ........ but most people say not really noticeable.

2) Lower EGT's -> from 100-200* based on what some guys have told me.

Thats all.

The confusion with this particular turbo was it was from a FEDEX truck. So it was coupled differently. I *think* mike is saying the flange on back/exhaust of it is also slightly different from normal HX35 like his - but will still work. But sounds like once I clock the turbo around to normal 5.9 cummins config it should port directly in ..... just gotta check on the elbow thing richie mentioned :shrug:

I have a guy selling that 'used' HX for $250 shipped - pm me if your interested and I will pass on the details. I would have bought that except I found this NEW remanufactured one for $350 - and for the extra $100 seemed worth to get new build (they go for $1100 from cummins) but its still just a HX35W.

Lets see what mike/richie say .........

(I am only doing this for EGT white :) I bought for $350 and if no mods - I can sell my HY for $175 and the swap is only $175. Only $75 if I bought the $250 one.

If you want more spoolup and handle bigger sticks/power - a Super B/s300 is probably the way to go ....... but its like $1200-$1500 - but man it kicks you hard in the top end with 100HP sticks).:thumbup2:

Oh - and thinks Jim for some of the info/confirmation offline - helped :tease:

thats nice..get rid of the silencing ring and cap off the wastegate!!:thumbup2:

Thats not going to be wise advice with his new 75 hp injectors. New turbo won't last long when he starts pulling hard not to mention high egts he is trying not to deal with by installing a h2o meth system already.

i have always done it..gotta use your head and your right foot and use it wisely....if he was sledpullin i could see that... d.d. why not for the extra boost in playin around..passin someone...if ya have it done you wont have to says..next time i am gunna do that!!:smart: