• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine block heater timer

• Owner

Great for people with a fixed schedule that leave for work at a exact time and etc... When I worked the fire dept I had to keep it plugged in all the time to keep the truck ready to roll. But now that I'm no longer doing that as much I don't even worry about plugging in... I just set the high idle allow it to come up to 100*F before I roll... Even if I'm in a hurry I'd just start and roll but drive nice and easy till the coolant reaches the 160 (lower limit)...

Yep bought mine last year from Lowe's and it works great. It's rated at like 15 amps and I have a nice 12 gauge extension cord so everything should be safe. That away in the morning it will come on for a couple of hours before I leave for school. My batteries are old enough that if it isn't plugged in and got too cold that night, I won't get it started b/c the grid heaters will pull them down too much!:doh: They are next on my list of things to buy, just hope they hold out for a while.:pray:

My truck is parked in the garage at night. It usually doesn't get below 50 in there. Even so, with it plugged in for two hours before I leave, I get heat much faster than waiting for the truck to warm up from 50 degrees. Plugged in it usually is about 110 when I start the truck.:2cents:

• 1 month later...

My truck is parked in the garage at night. It usually doesn't get below 50 in there. Even so, with it plugged in for two hours before I leave, I get heat much faster than waiting for the truck to warm up from 50 degrees. Plugged in it usually is about 110 when I start the truck. :2cents:

So I still park outside, but usually plug it in between about 42 and lower. I know it is easier on the engine, but it is also nice to get heat faster. I only drive about four miles to work in the morning, so I easily make it to 190.

• Owner

So I still park outside, but usually plug it in between about 42 and lower. I know it is easier on the engine, but it is also nice to get heat faster. I only drive about four miles to work in the morning, so I easily make it to 190.

Well that is a important factor to make sure you reach operation temp before you get to your destination... Yea if I was only ot drive you distance I would for sure keep it plugged in too. :smart: