• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The moment you've all been waiting for "SPORT/QUAD HEADLIGHT CONVERSION"

Not sure I'm up to this project myself? I'll study some more. Anyone around here interested in building me a harness? If you've been through the process it would be easier than going the learning curve. Heck of a way to start here on the forum for my first post. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guy's.."The moment you've all been waiting for" Here is a complete start to finish Details on Converting Standard 2-headlight system to a Sport Quad headlight sys. i did a few months ago

Let me tell you it was a P.I.T.A...i had nothing to go on as none of the threads i found on any of the forums involved building your own from scratch "w/Heavy Duty Stuff" ..most of the write ups were people who had bought a pre-wired harness..like the ones for example suvlights.com or others..all reported problems either "fog lights staying on..lights would not turn off, lights would not come on or lights were dimm on bright, etc...

So not finding any information in relation to a possiable wiring diagram i purchased a HD "pre-made harness w/relays from LMC..What a piece of shi$$..i mean lets totally forget that it did not work,{ lights went out or "almost out on Dimm}...this was chineese junk a frigg'n fire hazzard.:cookoo:.cheap light gauge wire i could bite into. connectors that "pulled out after unplugged a time or two..and last but not least.."NO SOLDERED CONNECTIONS, ALL CRIMPPED AND "NO HEAT SHRINK:spend:

SO..after tryin to get around it..I started designing & building my own system. and with much help from..MICHAEL "MOPAR MAN" i eventually completed my own system.."NOW..Im passing this information on to you guys because the lights on these trucks "SUCK"..and this is an Awesome improvment that....well :stuned:..you will have to see for your self.....AND....................I DONT WANT NO ONE TO GO THRU WHAT I WENT THRU BUILDING MINE ..L.M.A.O.:smart::broke:

thanks Michael:thumb1:

Check out link below:

Slideshow

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/rburks1/Dodge%20Sport%20Quad%20Headlight%20Conversion/?albumview=slideshow

Pictures

http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc389/rburks1/Dodge%20Sport%20Quad%20Headlight%20Conversion/

O.K Guys..Here is a Parts list complete with part numbers & prices. except for the fuse holders, I got all my parts from "Susquehanna Motorsports" http://www.rallylights.com phone# 1-610-944-3233

[*]1-male headlight connector (same as bulb)...............................................#CP9004CM..............7.49ea.

[*]4-Ceramic female 9004/9007 Connectors.......................................................#CP9004CFC.............7.49ea.

[*]4-HELLA Relays, 40A, Dual 87 outs, with Diode.............................................#HL87453...............13.22ea. Option" 4-HELLA Relays, 40A, Dual 87 outs, without Diode.............................#HL87453.................8.00ea.

[*]4-Relay Holders, complete with terminals....................................................#HL87123.................3.77ea.

I got the fuse holders from Advance Auto....."Bussmann INline, 12ga. wires............#BP/HUU...................5.49ea.

In all of this i forget to mention," I soldered all my connections & used heatshrink tubing to make a moisture free system. I also harnessed all the wires in split wire loom conduit that can be found im most electrical stores and some parts stores such as Autozone and NAPA..

well..thats about it..Good Luck and remember "HAVE FUN WITH IT":thumbup2:

Richie

i have the lmc headlight harness on my truck. and what a peice of chinese junk! high beems will not dimm up or down. anyway i'm thinking of taking the lmc harness back off and replace it with this system. have a question i found all the other parts needed except the relays. i can't seem to find the 4-HELLA Relays, 40A, Dual 87 outs, with Diode #HL87453 Option" 4-HELLA Relays, 40A, Dual 87 outs, without Diode #HL87453 i can't find the part numbers for the relays on that website? is there any other relay that will work?

I've been studying the drawings and will attempt the harness myself. I have the same concern about the relay availability with diode.

- - - Updated - - -

If it goes well, I may offer harnesses for sale with heavy gauge wire, soldered connections and good relays. Seems nobody is happy with what's out there.

I've been studying the drawings and will attempt the harness myself. I have the same concern about the relay availability with diode.

- - - Updated - - -

If it goes well, I may offer harnesses for sale with heavy gauge wire, soldered connections and good relays. Seems nobody is happy with what's out there.

Let us know how it goes!

- - - Updated - - -

ok i found the relay at amazon i typed in IMPERIAL 87453 relay. they are expensive at $40 each. does anyone else know if there is any other kind of relay that i can use in this relays place? :wow::pray:

ok i found the relay at amazon i typed in IMPERIAL 87453 relay. they are expensive at $40 each. does anyone else know if there is any other kind of relay that i can use in this relays place? :wow::pray:

WTF???

Why not use a damned Bosch 30/40A relay (330-073), available most anywhere, for like $5-8 each? It's just a standard SPDT 40A relay.

I mean, here's a set of 5 Bosch-type 40A relays, with pigtails, for $15 free shipping..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-12V-BOSCH-STYLE-RELAYS-40A-SPDT-5-5-WIRE-SOCKETS-/300570729695?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4708639855196558952%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D380518193546%26

It'll take a little different wiring up, but it'll save a helluva lot of money. And if a relay goes bad, replace it for a couple bucks.

I'm (personally) not one to spend 10x as much to have a dual out relay..

• Like 1

WTF???

Why not use a damned Bosch 30/40A relay (330-073), available most anywhere, for like $5-8 each? It's just a standard SPDT 40A relay.

I mean, here's a set of 5 Bosch-type 40A relays, with pigtails, for $15 free shipping..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-12V-BOSCH-STYLE-RELAYS-40A-SPDT-5-5-WIRE-SOCKETS-/300570729695?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4708639855196558952%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D380518193546%26

It'll take a little different wiring up, but it'll save a helluva lot of money. And if a relay goes bad, replace it for a couple bucks.

I'm (personally) not one to spend 10x as much to have a dual out relay..

that is why i have not bought that one. i did find a 30 amp duel 87 pin relay at the local oreilly auto parts for like $5.00 each. witch i can live with. i got the inline fuse and the wiring and ordered the rest of the special wiring componets last night. please forgive me as i have never done any wiring like this before. i'm still learning. but i will check out that link you gave me. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for that link. i just looked at it and thats just what i was looking for and bought a set.

has the duel 87 pin even. i can live with $14 that includes 5 relays with relay plug ins. that sure beats the other relays that were $40 each. now all i have to do is wait till all the parts to show up so i can start putiing the wiring harness togather.

that is why i have not bought that one. i did find a 30 amp duel 87 pin relay at the local oreilly auto parts for like $5.00 each. witch i can live with. i got the inline fuse and the wiring and ordered the rest of the special wiring componets last night. please forgive me as i have never done any wiring like this before. i'm still learning. but i will check out that link you gave me. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for that link. i just looked at it and thats just what i was looking for and bought a set.

has the duel 87 pin even. i can live with $14 that includes 5 relays with relay plug ins. that sure beats the other relays that were $40 each. now all i have to do is wait till all the parts to show up so i can start putiing the wiring harness togather.

Yes, they do have (2) 87 terminals, but they're not the same as the Imperial $40 relay.

The Imp relay is a SPST (single pole, single throw) with the same output coming out on both 87 pins at the same time.

The Bosch-type, like the 5-pack, are SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw). They, too, have (2) 87 pins, but they're 87 and 87a. How it works is that whatever is on pin 30 (be it GND or PWR) will be present on 87a when the relay is NOT energized. Once the relay is energized (12v on 85, gnd on 86, the presence will switch from 87a to 87.

So you'll need to compensate for that in the wiring diagram, which won't be hard.

Basically, ignore 87a. Use 87 as your input (fused 12V from source[battery]) and 30 as your output to the low and/or high beam lights. You can tag both low beam wires to the one relay pin.

If I were to make these for you guys, it would most-likely have to be a "pre-paid" thing, as I am a single income family, and spare change is about non-existant.

But I'd be happy to make them. It would give me something to do these winter evenings.

I wouldn't charge much for my time. I'll price the current parts out, and factor in time, and give you a rough pricing for a harness kit, hopefully this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, you're looking at 'roughly' $110 in materials (connectors, wire, relays, fuses, etc.)

So about $140-150 shipped, depending on time involved..

Depending on pre-ordered quantity, I could roughly have these out (parts ordered to assembled/shipped date) in about 5-7 days. that's really almost free labor, once you factor in parts shipping to me, and assembled units shipped out..

Tips accepted LOL

• Like 1

Yes, they do have (2) 87 terminals, but they're not the same as the Imperial $40 relay.

The Imp relay is a SPST (single pole, single throw) with the same output coming out on both 87 pins at the same time.

The Bosch-type, like the 5-pack, are SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw). They, too, have (2) 87 pins, but they're 87 and 87a. How it works is that whatever is on pin 30 (be it GND or PWR) will be present on 87a when the relay is NOT energized. Once the relay is energized (12v on 85, gnd on 86, the presence will switch from 87a to 87.

So you'll need to compensate for that in the wiring diagram, which won't be hard.

Basically, ignore 87a. Use 87 as your input (fused 12V from source[battery]) and 30 as your output to the low and/or high beam lights. You can tag both low beam wires to the one relay pin.

don't think i understand for this dummy. me being the dummy. still waiting for the sockets to show up from rallylights.com. been week and a half so far. they have not shipped it out no tracking number????? may call them to see whats up. can you make a wiring diagram for these relays? otherwise may just buy those other relays i'm not good with wiring. other option pay you to make up a wiring harness for me????

- - - Updated - - -

how about this one then?

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=948

don't think i understand for this dummy. me being the dummy. still waiting for the sockets to show up from rallylights.com. been week and a half so far. they have not shipped it out no tracking number????? may call them to see whats up. can you make a wiring diagram for these relays? otherwise may just buy those other relays i'm not good with wiring. other option pay you to make up a wiring harness for me????

- - - Updated - - -

how about this one then?

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=948

that's the one to use, if you need to save some wiring headache. :)
  • Like 1

that's the one to use, if you need to save some wiring headache. :)

thanks rogan i did not know there was a differance between a spdt and spst relay. i learned somthing. i think i will go that route to make things easyer. as my wiring skills are limited. looks pretty simple enough just the relays were little confusing to me till you explained it. thanks for the help.