• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Emmisions strattegy

The emission issue with running any fuel supplement is I expect the powers that be pronounced a prohibition of ANY additive that has not been tested & proved to not put the emmisions out of limits. There's no way a 2 cycle refiner is going to spend the cash for this... so we're on our own. That does not mean it will worsen emmisions... just that it's untested. That being the case, I'm thinking of shutting up about what I put in the tank. I've had pump jockies eye ball me & even question it. If I had a container from a known additive, no one would blink an eye. Maybe I'll just magac marker the outboard marked container or find a motor oil quart. (I keep one in the door pocket, handy to reach.)

Dumpster dive for a proper size additive container, who ever you would want to 'advertise' for.Or cut the label from a soda bottle and make up a label - since it is not 'for sale' you can make some really good claims like - increases fuel mileage by 20 mpg, adds 80 hp at minimum mix, use this product and only have to change the differential lube every 250,000 miles.... Slick 1 L bottles are probably the best - might preprice for $175 a L. :)unfortunatly I think that you are right. I may need to find some 1 L bottles.keydl

• Owner

Yeah you right as emmission testing becomes a issue in your areas it will get tougher and tougher... so far out here it still rather quiet and nothing being said as far as emssion testing. The larger cities like Boise, ID does testing but I'm luck and live nearly 200 miles away... But as for 2 cycle oil usuage here I get weird look anyways... LOL

The size of the quart oil bottle is just right to fit in the door pocket of my 01. I ussually carry 2, refilled about 3/4 off a gallon jug. So it doesn't splash out. The bottle has to be squeezed a touch & I do so before screwing the cap down. I have to turn the neck back on the front bottle to the rear so it doesn't bump the power seat control. Lucky for me, I have oversize alum steps... With my leg problems, I'd not be able to get in the truck without them & it still isn't easy... but running the seat back that last 1" really helps. The reason I bring this up is, once I'm in I have to reach that seat button to reach the GO pedal!Until I come up with something better, I'm just gonna magic marker the bottles I have "deisel treat" or some other BS.Russ

The 2cycle had no negative effect on my 03' 6.0 Ford powerstroke during the WA. state emissions test I had to have earlier last year. Heres the results all while running tcw3 2cycle at 1oz per gal. HarryTest Results Test Type: Diesel Snap Prescribed Type: DIESEL SNAP Overall Diesel Snap Result: PASS Number of Snaps: 3 Exhaust Pipe 1 Exhaust Pipe 2 Opacity Limit (%): 40.0 N/A Opacity Reading (%): 3.0 N/A RPM: 0 N/A Opacity Result: PASS

• Owner

The 2cycle had no negative effect on my 03' 6.0 Ford powerstroke during the WA. state emissions test I had to have earlier last year. Heres the results all while running tcw3 2cycle at 1oz per gal. Harry Test Results Test Type: Diesel Snap Prescribed Type: DIESEL SNAP Overall Diesel Snap Result: PASS Number of Snaps: 3 Exhaust Pipe 1 Exhaust Pipe 2 Opacity Limit (%): 40.0 N/A Opacity Reading (%): 3.0 N/A RPM: 0 N/A Opacity Result: PASS

That's awesome to know... Most of the time I get asked about this and so far you and few other now are starting to leak out information of emmission testing with 2 cycle oil... :thumbsup

I put my 2 stroke oil in old "Marvel Mystery Oil" containers. They have the built in funnel spout, so it's real handy to dump in the tank. They're just a pain to fill with the 2 stroke oil!!! :mad A few years ago, Evinrude (OMC Corp.) developed a whole new line of 2 cycle outboard motors. Can't remember what they called it though. Emissions etc. were reduced to almost 4 stroke levels!!! However, many states had already outlawed 2 cycle motors on lakes, rivers etc. so there was no chance in getting that reversed. So I've not heard much recently. Heck, most outboards you see now arre 4stroke!! That said, I love my Evinrude 50hp. It's started down to 5 degrees!!! It's sad that people that don't know anything about most things are in charge of everything!!! :smart

"It's sad that people that don't know anything about most things are in charge of everything!!! "Dorkweed, isn't that the truth. Especially when it comes to making laws like the EPA does. DPF is a perfect example of bureaucratic stupity, lets burn more fuel in order to clean the air. All the new DPF equipped trucks get significantly terrible fuel mileage, like 20-25% on average. Example, a Ford 6.0 like mine can easily get 18-20 mpg. On the newer 6.4 Fords with DPF, most owners report, they will only get an average of 12 mpg, or worse if its needing more DPF regeneration clean out cycles. Some have reported better mileage results, but very few. Harry

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading that acetone would make anything pass emissions.. Its only like, a cup per tank, not sure how it would make any difference with such a little amount. I dont have emissions here either so I couldn't say if it worked or not.

Well they say it is supposed to clean up the exhaust somehow. I never used it for the same reasons but that dont mean if i did have emissions that i wouldnt add a little acetone on a low tank of diesel to pass the test, then fill it back up with diesel to thin it out and add a bunch of stroke.. Anything to let me keep my straight pipe LOL

I'm still lookin for some "disguise" containers... I've still got (2) 1 quart 2 stroke oil containers in the door pocket. I can't remember the amount of oil... I figured it out once... I fill at the same approx fuel level each time. An almost full quart does it. (1 oz / gallon) There is enough of a spout on the container to get it in the tank then add fuel. I refill the quart containers (from my gallon at home) to my mark with a funnel... there's a viewing strip on one side. After refilling I squeeze some of the air out so it fits better in the door. Wipe off any drips with a paper napkin from The Middle of Nowhere Diner. Russ

I do about the same thing, I use 16 oz 2cycle bottles ( got them at a yardsale ) and use the odometer and a calculator to figure the amount. Twenty mpg bobtail and 17 loaded, I try to fill at 16 oz. Unless I know the fuel sales locations I run the top 1/2 or less.I can see the attitudes that would question any deviation from the norm, so printing and laminating some labels to fit the containers that you like to use sounds like a plan to me. Don't forget to fair trade price th labels :) - maybe $49 a pint - people respect high prices.keydl

• 1 month later...

I have a clear 30 oz bottle that has measuring marks on it. I got it from work, originally was for A/C oil, so it has all the increments for measurement, makes a perfect 2cycle container, and its dark blue as can be with the 2cycle tcw3 in it. Very rarely will anyone ask what it is I am putting into my fuel tank at the pump, and its usually the guy filling his diesel next to me. In general I don't think anyone cares around these parts. But yea, if the EPA gets really serious about enforcement, we may have to stealth our 2cycle addiction. It would be very hard though to enforce what people want to add to there fuel. Even with the cameras like some of the larger stations in big cities have, they would have to prove by fuel sampling that what your adding is illegal. One way, would be to fuel sample during an emmisions test, but that would be unlikely as it would be extremely costly and what would it prove, we have the right amount of lubricity? The 2cycle tcw3 burns very very clean. I don't see any problem other than possibly the darker tint color it makes the fuel when 2cycle is present in diesel. Harry

• Owner

Shoot... I'm normally passing my WalMart jug to the guy on the other pump asking if he wants some... LOL As for me I just pour it from my gallon jug into my quart oil container and add to the tank right there at the pump I don't hide it. Never been asked or anything. But up here in Idaho I've seen guys pulling out Wesson Oil guy and pouring WVO in the tank... :confused: But the difference if I pull out a jug of PS or a gallon jug of Mineral spirits/Xylene/Naptha??? There the same... Just the label is different... LOL

• 5 months later...

I could see being sneaky in California maybe but anywhere I go I usually add the 2-stroke oil straight from a quart container only when I'm not pouring in vegetable oil through a funnel and hose (with some help from a friend - it's a 2-person operation) from a restaurant cubie. Hey maybe that's why the Highway Patrol followed me out of that truck stop in Utah! Didn't stop me though.