• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re stock or not?

My transmission has lived ALOT longer than it should under my foot with the comp on and up. I drove it heavily on 5X5 for several years before learning the possible weakness of the tranny :pray:. I did buy it used and the comp was on it when i bought it but that was all for mods when purchased. just wondering if there is any way i can find out if there was any performance upgrades done without me having to tear it apart completely? i did pull the dust cover which didnt tell me squat and the torque converter does engage in third regardless if the OD is on or not....6 changes in rpm speed through 4 gears (TC engage in 3rd, unlock, shift to OD, reengage). i just h ope somebody here has some insight. thanks

2 of the local dearlerships who have done the filter replacement said that the VB looks stock as well. I wonder, can a 47re last longer with abuse with fluid and filter change every 15000 miles (every other oil change)?

Does sound like a funny shift schedule (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd+TC lock, o/d with TC unlock, o/d + TC lock). Is this schedule common with aftermarket shift kits/valve bodies? Just trying to get smart on 47RE transmission upgrades prior to pulling the trigger.Thanks,Joe in St Louis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I know it has been a couple of years since this thread was opened, but wanted to give an update. I did actually run into the previous owner (and also found out that I have a cousin who was an engineer for the 47re project who talked to me at length about this transmission) and found a few things out about the truck. I now have right at 200,000 miles on the old girl and it is in fact a stock transmission. The later model 47s were set from factory to go into lockup in direct drive regardless of whether or not the O/D on/off switch was activated. the valve body in my truck did have the pressures set higher along with having that BD pressure "thingy" put on it. The TC was the factory TC but had been taken apart and modified as well. I had the pleasure of torque twisting my transfer case off of the back of the OD section (picture is in the latest Diesel Power magazine)(I will come back to this in a moment). Finding out from my cousin that they do in fact use a from of hydrostatic fluid in the transmissions during the break in period at the factory, what he told me was astonishing. they use this fluid because it show "zero wear on the clutch packs and on the sun gears" during the break in and pressure testing procedures (I am sure that I will get the third degree on that one). I have been running with HYgard since he suggested this to me back in 2011. now back to the OD section issue...while it was at the shop, I had them tear the transmission all down and measure the thicknesses of all the clutches and steels and hear is what they found. none were worn past 50%, meaning that I am only half way through the material. this is with 15000 mile fluid flush interval then switching fluid all together. so...how week is the 47re? It isn't!! just take care of it