• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

More 2 cycle oil stories

if i have heard one person say "ULSD stinks" or "it smells different"......than i've heard 10 people say it...since i have NO experience with it...i thought i'd ask.

I think number 2 home heating fuel still has sulphur in it, and it smells stronger? Not too many natural things on the earth as smelly as sulphur. Come to think about it, ever been in a place with sulphur water? I was at a car wash the other day, and when I pulled the trigger, what a smell, atomized sulphur water! Edited by flman

Not really sure how ULSD compares with LSD, think it might be a little stronger. I know that one drop of biodiesel seems to make the entire tank smell like french fries. Either way I would rather smell diesel than a gasser exhaust that makes me gag.

Just about everyone I know is biased on which smells awful. Everyone who owns a gasser gags on diesel fumes and vice versa. I really can't stand it though, all you see on gassers is white smoke and water pouring out the exhaust like some chemical plant. ULSD burns my eyes a little, we run B5 LSD in our tractor and that is truly some good smelling stuff, doesn't burn my eyes either.

Just about everyone I know is biased on which smells awful. Everyone who owns a gasser gags on diesel fumes and vice versa. I really can't stand it though, all you see on gassers is white smoke and water pouring out the exhaust like some chemical plant. ULSD burns my eyes a little, we run B5 LSD in our tractor and that is truly some good smelling stuff, doesn't burn my eyes either.

I don't care for the smell of either my self, but the diesel is usually consistent and cleaner burning, because it burns all the fuel, and if it is old and burning oil due to wear, it will burn that away as well.

• 2 weeks later...

That's funny... :lmao2: I remember day of driving gasser and always though the smell of diesel was nasty... Now gasser really stinks and burns your eyes compared to diesel.

Same here Mike, but now... there is nothing like the smell of diesel in the morning!! lol .... ;)

Hey guys just thought I'd let you know that KTM (the dirt bike company) makes a 100:1 premix oil for there bikes i haven't used it, but by the sounds of the label it should increase lubricity at low oil/fuel 's mixtures thus allowing a better burn. Probably be good for a diesel premix, i don't know what's in it though:shrug:

Might be good stuff, but it's hard enough to find the dirt bike, let alone oil for it. Yes I ride a KTM :lol: I think the oil would be pretty pricey too. They do like to run pretty lean on the oil though, they load up if you run a ratio that all the other dirt bikes run on. It might be really good stuff but it would be so hard to get. You would have to order it and have them UPS it to you or something, most of us anyways. That's the basic reason why the walmart supertech is so sought after, it is everywhere.

My take on the smell is that the old diesel smelled, the LSD smelled less and there is little smell to ULSD. Also I have seen NO cloud in the tank on ULSD like the old diesel when the temps dropped below 20F on summer fuel - might be running 400:1 2cycle on a Detroit.

• 4 months later...

I looked into that KTM oil it's $20 a quart and there's a local store who sells it about 10min away from my house, although that doesn't mean it's readily available. as soon as I'm no longer broke I'm going to give it a shot and she how she does!

I think number 2 home heating fuel still has sulphur in it, and it smells stronger? Not too many natural things on the earth as smelly as sulphur. Come to think about it, ever been in a place with sulphur water? I was at a car wash the other day, and when I pulled the trigger, what a smell, atomized sulphur water!

Sulphur, OK is the smelliest place. you can smell it in the air(and stuck to the back of my mouth). the first time i went thru there, it made me sick. why would people settle around that?:cookoo:

--- Update to the previous post...

Isn't that just a bit expensive? I normally buy 2 cycle oil for $11 bucks a gallon.

walmart has 2 stroke for $11 a gallon. haven't used it in a while, since i've been buying B5 fuel

• 2 years later...