• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

weighing my options and troubleshooting.......

my current truck has been having some problems and ive been thinking about the truck ive been fixing up for my uncle as my new DD. its 1997 2500 5spd 2x4 std cab 166xxx bone stock jsut noticed to that its a 215hp motor......for now :thumb1: he told me because im his favorite nephew he would sell it to me for a price of 3300. not ot shabby im thinking for a p pumper. i could finally make my first gen ive been driving for 5 years my project, a dream come true. THE DOWN SIDE...the truck NEEDS TLC to say the least. here are the current problems im dealing with and have been doing some book work on before i attack (not to mention it hasnt been over 25 in the past few days in PA and theres still snow under the truck:lol:) -the brakes are basically gone. popped the master and there was NO fluid in the first resivior, i think thats the rear? and low fluid in the back res. so i obviously have to fill and bleed the system like a son of a gun. but not to big of a deal. the only question i have is how do you bleed the abs system? -the ABS light and BRAKE light are on. im thinking because theres probably massive amounts of air in the lines, but i also read that a vaccum leak can affect brakes and make those lights come on. so i will be doing a vac, check. any other ideas im open to. -the parking lights are always on when the keys on...im guessing headlight switch???? -the powersteering was also BONE dry when i got it. so im going to fill it. is there any particular procedure to doing so on a dry unit? do you have to bleed in any way? there are no visible leaks brake wise or power steering under the truck. could this be because it sat for 3 years?? MOST OF ALL what do you guys think is it a deal???? **admins. i know i probably should have broken this book down into drivetrain and non drivetrain questions, my appologies

All easy stuff. Bleeding is just filling the reservoir, pumping the brakes and relieving the pressure out of the bleeders on the brakes. It is a hell of a deal. I would jump on it. Just make sure and change everything out (all the fluids) if it has been used as a farm truck, who knows how long they have been in there.

• Owner

Being the brake system went dry for some reason I would check all the wheel cylinders and calipers... I mean actually take them apart and inspect the seals, pucks, cylinders, etc... Then bleed the system out till clean fluid is seen. As for the power steering I would flush that system out as well... Just like AH64ID does here... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/3rdgen/ps-flush/ps-flush.htm As for the rest of the fluids... Get them changed out... Coolant, Engine Oil, Trans Fluid, Axle Lube, etc.

:thumb1:all the info is great keep it coming! mopar1973man- this site is really nice, kudos. im not sure but i thought there was a fellow over on DTR who had a similar handle wouldnt have happened to be you would it?? im leaning in the direction of fixing up my car and selling it to buy this truck. but im still up in the air......but EVERYTIME i jump in the driver seat that 12 valve puts a BIG OL smile on my young face:)

• Owner

:thumb1:all the info is great keep it coming! mopar1973man- this site is really nice, kudos. im not sure but i thought there was a fellow over on DTR who had a similar handle wouldnt have happened to be you would it?? im leaning in the direction of fixing up my car and selling it to buy this truck. but im still up in the air......but EVERYTIME i jump in the driver seat that 12 valve puts a BIG OL smile on my young face:)