• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

After 295,000 miles I finally ponied up the cash to replace my steering shaft and gearbox on my 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. The stock units had worn to the point that it was like driving a truck in a cheap video game. Now it feels like my Viper! Well, almost. But what a major improvement mainly with the Borgeson steering box with one full less turn lock to lock. I definetly recommend this swap for anyone with the Gen II trucks. Well worth the money. Green Moose

• Like 2

my steering box got real bad last year. i ended up buying a CARDONE reman(as thats all the local part stores carried). it was AWESOME for the 1st 6 months, but slow yet surely the wander is back. it came with a lifetime warrenty. i have not had the time to replace it yet. but had i had the money, i would have with the borgeson box. i think you also have to replace the steering shaft to use it. the deal breaker was the local reman was $169 and the borgeson is $395 + $270 for the shaft. :spend:, BUT had i even been close to having the money i would have waited and saved for it.

my steering box got real bad last year. i ended up buying a CARDONE reman(as thats all the local part stores carried). it was AWESOME for the 1st 6 months, but slow yet surely the wander is back. it came with a lifetime warrenty. i have not had the time to replace it yet. but had i had the money, i would have with the borgeson box. i think you also have to replace the steering shaft to use it. the deal breaker was the local reman was $169 and the borgeson is $395 + $270 for the shaft. :spend:, BUT had i even been close to having the money i would have waited and saved for it.

You can use your stock steering shaft, but you have to modify the steering box input shaft by filing a flat spot on it to accomodate the stock end of the shaft. My stock shaft actually seemed tight, especially given the miles on it, so you could save some money by using your stock shaft. Also shop around for the steering box; I got lucky and bought the box and the shaft on sale from AutoPartsDealers.com before Christmas and saved about $90 bucks, plus they had free shipping.:) Green Moose
  • Like 1

I also have a lifetime Cardone going bad. My intent is to exchange for another Cardone which will be sold to get some of my $$ back. I'll send the crappy AGR core that is currently laying on the shop floor to Redhead and hopefully have good steering again.

YEP, I have been telling everyone that with all the 2nd gen steering improvements the one that is the best of all is the 3.3 turn box versus the 4.25 turn factory box. Its even easier now that companies finally after 13 years realized this and finally stepped up with more options other than the GM saginaw box which is no longer made and supplies are gone. Which is what I have. Did mine a couple years ago and was by far the best upgrade ever for the entire pickup. Wish I would have done it before spending money on the other pluthera of steering upgrades.

So am I correct in assuming that if the front end is tight and in alignment and the tires are good ,that the steering box and shaft is the last place to look for bad wander? I looked at the Borgesen boxes before but just couldn't see shelling out that kind of money on a hope that is my problem. I added the DSS which helped a bit, but still not the most pleasant thing to drive on a long trip:shrug:

So am I correct in assuming that if the front end is tight and in alignment and the tires are good ,that the steering box and shaft is the last place to look for bad wander? I looked at the Borgesen boxes before but just couldn't see shelling out that kind of money on a hope that is my problem. I added the DSS which helped a bit, but still not the most pleasant thing to drive on a long trip:shrug:

well looking at Wild and Free's post i think he is suggesting that it should be your first. I'm thinking: borgeson box third gen track bar psc pump.

I wouldn't swap out a pump unless the factory one dies. But yes 3.3 turn gear box and 3rd gen track bar convert for sure. DSS would be #3 just for piece of mind.

Is the Borgeson box the only 3.3 turn box out there? I want to do this upgrade as soon as the $ permit so I want to start shopping. Seems to me I saw one somewhere that was maybe 12:1 ratio and the Borgeson is 14:1 right?

--- Update to the previous post...

Is the Borgeson box the only 3.3 turn box out there? I want to do this upgrade as soon as the $ permit so I want to start shopping. Seems to me I saw one somewhere that was maybe 12:1 ratio and the Borgeson is 14:1 right?

Can anybody help me out here?

--- Update to the previous post...

Can anybody help me out here?

Check on the Geno's Garage site; I believe that the information you are looking for is listed in the description of the Borgeson box.:cool:

Green Moose

carsteering.com has two listed:82-0023382-00233-QR (quick ratio)Prices are $195/100core and $285/$75core for the QR unit.I don't know the brand(s), as they aren't listed. 12 month warranty.PSC Motorsports offers one for $459.KLM Performance lists the Borgeson box for $350, and the 950 shaft for an additional $250.Summit offers an AGR Performance box (Super Box 2, pn#284452) with 16:1 ratio for $369.They also have a SB2, pn# 284352 with variable ratio (13-16:1) for same price, but it's listed as 'gas motor only'..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...