• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brands & tread patterns

Hi Guys,

I've noticed the rubber on my OEM Michelin's is getting down... admittedly I don't go off road except on the grass but occasionally the roads will have a crap load of snow on them. I am really NOT sold on the current trend to low sidewall tires on trucks. So what's decent snow rubber, that won't break the bank...

Russ

Yes, OEM Michelin's are the LTX 265/75R16... This truck is an contradiction... extended cab, long bed, long wheelbase just loves the open road but the 410 gearing does not. I got no complaint with the OEM Michelin... for what it is... got close to 50k miles on 'em & are still very useable. But I want to go to that snow tire... In my experience, the low sidewalls are more prone to damage... I've run 70 series lots of miles & others I know have run 60s but that was on High Performance cars. I'd be happy to stay with the 75s size... I just searched Hankook but there are no dealers in the North East, so I guess that's not an option.Russ

Russ, All I can say is you pay for what you get. The BFG T/A All Terrain KO's I have on my truck have been EXCELLENT tires ON and OFF road and they ride smooth and quiet. You can expect 50K miles or more from them especially if you use the balance beads. They come a pretty wide range of sizes.

I really like the Cooper Discoverer ATR's in the stock size that I bought over this past summer. They're quite good in the snow. Much better than the Michelins. I've put about 17,000 miles on them and it doesn't look like they're wearing at all. I got 81,000 miles off the stock Michelins.......could've gone longer, but I had a flat on one of the tires and I didn't want to patch a 4 year old tire with that many miles. When I had my '99, I got 125,000 miles off of the stock Michelins!!!

I've had good luck with Cooper Discoverer, years ago on an 83?? Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel & 4 speed stick. The tranny died & the rebuild failed. [sorry off topic: rebuilder didn't reinstall right. Tranny came loose from engine, misalignment cracked the case. Rebuilder welded case but really did't want to do any more. The job didn't last & one dark night, left me beside the road. I should have had someone knowledgeable rebuild a Madza 5 speed with the Ford output shaft but didn't know that at the time. I read about it somewhere later.] That 2.2 Natural air... Could not get out of it's own way. I ripped the new LT Cooper tires off & put them on the wifes minivan... good in snow & wore like iron. RussPS Truck w/ 2.2 only made 2 years... do not buy "unique" vehicles... hard to find parts. When I went to the Ford dealer to get new glow plugs, they'd never seen one... went outside to be sure I wasn't BSing them.

Hi Guys,

I've noticed the rubber on my OEM Michelin's is getting down... admittedly I don't go off road except on the grass but occasionally the roads will have a crap load of snow on them. I am really NOT sold on the current trend to low sidewall tires on trucks. So what's decent snow rubber, that won't break the bank...

Russ

Boy, ask a hundred people and you'll get... Tires are one of those personal preference things. I feel i've been fortunate in that almost 30 years of driving only 4x4s I've with only one exception always run BFG Tires. Be it All terrain KO (personal favorite), or mud terrain I've always been impressed. the all terrains get close to 50k with proper rotation (unless you put on a lot of miles with a goose-neck). And the new Mud terrain KM2 I'm currently running are amazingly quiet for a mud terrain tire. Like i said its a personal thing but, if it ain't let you down yet... :thumbsup

• Owner
Boy, ask a hundred people and you'll get... Tires are one of those personal preference things. I feel i've been fortunate in that almost 30 years of driving only 4x4s I've with only one exception always run BFG Tires. Be it All terrain KO (personal favorite), or mud terrain I've always been impressed. the all terrains get close to 50k with proper rotation (unless you put on a lot of miles with a goose-neck). And the new Mud terrain KM2 I'm currently running are amazingly quiet for a mud terrain tire. Like i said its a personal thing but, if it ain't let you down yet... :thumbsup
Kind of like your favorite pair of boots... You just got a personal favorite and usually stick to it... :thumbsup