• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Day Dreaming... Maybe Changing my DD??

flagmanruss

I'm thinking of swapping my faithful Cirus for something 4X4 or AWD. Must have easy entry because of my disability. Must be automatic, same reason. With all the problem pushing snow... even considering something with a plow. I'm thinking budget used... So far I've spotted 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, 1989 Dodge Raider (which I believe is the same rebranded vehicle)... an older CJ7 but I'm concerned about the entry... Years ago I had a Dodge (rebranded Mitsubishi) Challenger which was a very nice vehicle in it's own right, if you could get over the reuse of the nameplate. What would you look at? Russ

honestly Russ if i was in the market for something easy to get into and drive with 4wd i would go with a early 90's toyota pickup they came with either a 22re (4cyl) or a 3.0 v6 and you can get them in either a manual tranny or an automatic. They are easy to drive and are very very reliable. just my :2cents: good hunting.

I tried getting into a CJ type... think it was a Wrangler model... The entry height is too high & door opening too narrow (same problem on wife's Subaru). Grandson came over yesterday. I'd had the block heater pluged in on the JD410 (backhoe/loader with tire chains)... I testyed the starter & danged if it didn't light right off! I rocked it to free it from the snow bank... but my weak left leg was not able to get on the industrial clutch. I let the grandson do it. He enjoyed pushing the snow banks back... WAY back!! I like the way he was using my machine... respectful, I would say. Maybe we can plan to use ATV to open up initially then get get help to push banks back. Wifee sees ok with plowing with ATV.I still am thinking on a DD replacement... Cirus is getting old.Russ

the easiest thing I've ever owned to get in and out of, russ, is my wife's Nissan Quest mini-van (2004+). The doors open nearly 90*, and the seat (at my 5'9" height") are near butt-level. It's literally a step-in/step-out. Plenty of room, otherwise, and does great in the snow, as any FWD vehicle. Ours has the 3.5L (2007 model) and gets mid-high 20s on the highway. We averaged 25.7mpg round trip to Texas; about 1400mi each way, at 75-80mph..It's quiet as a church mouse, and plenty of power, with a 0-60mph in the 8.6sec. range. Never ever ever thought I'd say I liked a minivan, until this one.

What about something by Subaru??! They've gotten their AWD/4x4 systems down pretty well now. Plus they make/made the SRX or some alphabet soup like that..............that would do about 180mph with 4wd capabilities!! One of my Buds had one and loved it!! He wasn't a "truck" guy. If he needed a truck, he called me and bought beer!!!:pant::lmao2:

Wife's Subaru is Outback "Wagon". I find the car tighter than a dry scuba wet suit... I have a hell of a time getting my foot up & in the door. I actually turn the cane over & get the hook under the weak knee to lift... still a struggle. I didn't pick out the Cirus, inherited from my mother. (5 years old with 8,000 miles!!) But I've gotten pretty used to the size of it.

:whistle::lmao:

You mean the SVX? I had one. Actually wish I still did. BUT, given Russ' situation, he'd have to move in to it, because once he got in the seat, he'd be stuck there forever! LOL

It was also an H-6 with tons of power and traction, but heavy as an personnel carrier!

My Impreza WRX and Legacy Outback were both a PITA to get in/out of, as well. But my goodness.. Point them and they'll go that direction.

I was just "saying", I wasn't "arguing"!!!!!:nono::smart:

OK, it was the SVX...............I was in the passenger seat at about 130mph...............I didn't like it..............mostly because I wasn't driving, and I wasn't in control!!!!!!!!

Since Russ has ruled out Subaru...............the best 4x4 vehicle I've ever driven and driven off road has been a '94 Toyota 4Runner hands down, no comparison!!!!!! I took that bad boy elk hunting to where I wouldn't consider taking my '99 or my '04.5!!!!!! But they're harder to get in and out of than both of my Rams!!!

I totally agree with the Toyotas. 4Runners and/or Land Cruisers. Additionally, Russ, look into the Land Rover Discovery Series IIs.. You can pick them up fairly cheap, and theyre quite reliable. They do require some tinkering here and there, but overall, they're pretty good. The V8s, ensure the head gaskets have been done, as that's a common issue with them. A close friend of mine has 3, and loves them, once the expensive HG replacement has been done. He picked up his last one, a 2001 model, for 1200$, and it's clean as a pin. It needed an O2 sensor, tires, and one window switch. The back seats/doors are a PITA to get in an out of, for anyone bigger than 50 lbs and 4' tall, but the front seats are easily accessible, and the doors open wide; two pluses in my book.

I've been window shopping the For Sale sites... More confused than ever! I've not been keeping up with the Makes & Models. One divide is the CrossOver SUVs on a unibody type platform VS the traditional Body on Frame (truck based) construction. Even though I'm only planning to plow our own drive, it's a fairly big drive & I'm thinking I would do better to have a more rugged truck based unit. I own a quad cab long bed truck... this needs to be a shorter maneuverable vehicle. Since this is going to be USED, I'm thinking I ought to buy a common popular make that I can get serviced anywhere... it would be a gasser... Sheila's brother owns a used car dealership... So we can get a deal. EVERY used car needs something. Just about anything can be fixed... given time & money. A year ago, Son in Law needed a good car... Sheila borrowed cars & drove them for several days on dealer plates until they found a good one... The rejects got repaired or sent back to the auction.As a starting point, I think I need to invest some time hitting some car lots... and getting in / out / sitting in the seats. Several years ago, my Dad bought a pair of Fords (Dad had vested retirement from Ford) got a hell of a deal... 6 months later they sold them at a loss because the seats were uncomfortable to them. Ya know with the severe rust underneath my truck... I don't know if I could buy another Chrysler product. I've basically been a Chrysler man... Sadly the only one that appeals to me so far is a 93 Blazer. But I'm still early in the process...