• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad valve seat

jshmohr

I think the problem is much like the dodge gassers, junk castings and induction hardened seats {no inserts}The head rebuilders offer a new casting, supposedly more meat around the seats, with press in's to boot.the remans are about a grande, and the new castings about 1500... might be worth the upgrade.You can find the heads under various labels, enginequest etc. Clearwater cylinder head aka odessa cylinder head usually has the best prices.

Back when I was rebuilding engines I used to buy heads from the wrecking yards and rebuild them. It's not a big deal to install a new valve seat in a head. Bore the pocket .005/.008 under size put the seat in the freezer before you start the machine work to shrink the seat, bore the pocket, heat it with a torch (the pocket) then install it. Cut the valve angles in the seat, grind the valve, lap them together and your done. :smart: At most a half hour job if you have the tools and set up down.

They are getting $1000 to $1500 per head Posted Image man I might take the buy out at Chrysler and go back to rebuilding heads!

Just what is the issue with the seats and what years are the bad seats found in? I have a early 04 is this part of it or did this start showing up in the 04.5 trucks. Never heard of this before.

Don