• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What type of engine is this?

jonathan1950

post-10349-138698176974_thumb.jpgA friend of mine gave me a diesel engine out of a refridgeration unit, I am thinking about putting it in an 81 Toyota pickup, but have a few questions. Just wondering if any one know what kind of engine this is and how hard it would be to mate a transmission to it. I am thinking that the Toyota would get better milage with a diesel, but just not sure if this engine would work for this application?

post-10349-138698176988_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698176996_thumb.jpg

post-10349-138698177001_thumb.jpg

Yep injection system and glow plug setup is definately same style as Kubota. I would say that what you got. Yanmar is similar but it looks to be kubota as the color is kubota too. looks to be an older engine though but they are excellent very durable engines.

• Like 1

Be aware that coming out of a reefer or most any other industrial app, a mechanical engine should have an RPM governor not a load governor - meaning accelerator position will give you a set RPM rather than a set fueling level.Most of the time this can be switched out without changing the whole IP but it's something you should be aware of.

Well, I was thinking about putting the engine in an 80 Toyota pickup, but looking at the horsepower rating of the Kubota engine is only about 25 horse, and the engine in the pickup now is about 100 horse, I guess that I may look into just trying to sell the engine since I am thinking that it will not be big enough to be any good to me. Thanks all of you for helping me out to find out what engine I had and giving me an idea where to look to find out more information about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was thinking about putting the engine in an 80 Toyota pickup, but looking at the horsepower rating of the Kubota engine is only about 25 horse, and the engine in the pickup now is about 100 horse, I guess that I may look into just trying to sell the engine since I am thinking that it will not be big enough to be any good to me. Thanks all of you for helping me out to find out what engine I had and giving me an idea where to look to find out more information about it.

Any idea of what you might want for it?

Any idea of what you might want for it?

I am not sure, I am open to offers. I do not have any idea what it is worth? Looking on the internet new engines are over $1000, but that is for newer engines so I am not looking for nearly that much. I do not need it so if I get an offer I will probably let it go.

So you must have found it was a Kubota engine for sure then?

Yes, after looking at the Kubota website I found out that it is a K1, it is stamped on the block and has a K1B on the head. I am thinking that it is around 20 horse power, but not positive on that. All that I found on the engine was through tractors and most where about 20 horse power.