• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installed the Edge w/Attitude today

Just spent the afternoon installing most of the Edge w/Attitude on my 2002 Dodge.Most of it was pretty easy but getting to some of the sensor plugs was not real easy, and one of them was hidden under the LP pump.I did not hook up the sensors for the VP-44, transmission temp and EGT. Ran out of time to drill the exhaust manifold for the EGT and will do it later. I have a 6 speed manual tranny so not real worried about the transmission temps. As well I never tow anything (yet) so feel that the temps are fine. As for the VP-44 wire, want to drive it in the #1 setting for a while and see how it does. As I do not tow am not looking for lots more power and the wire to the VP is what gives you the extra power levels.Drove the truck and left it on the #1 power setting. Did not buy this rig for extra power but for the information that it give me like the LP fuel pressure and other engine reading that you do not get with the stock gauges. After the temps came up (very nice having a digital temp gauge) gave it a bit of boost and the gauge reads it just fine. Only got up to about 18 psi boost but on level pavement could not hold my foot into it very long either. The LP pressure was ok (not OK) and reads 10-12 most of the time. At WOT it does go down to 7-8 for a bit then recovers. Main reason for the post is, with my LP pump pressure where I feel is right on the bottom border of where it needs to be to keep the VP-44 properly lubed, anyone have any suggestions on how long I am safe driving it like this? Would like to get a FASS or other better pump/filter system but did not win the lotto last weekend, so still being a bit Scottish (otherwise known as thrifty) with my funds. Thanks, FT

Thought that as long as I am seeing 10 psi or higher that its ok? A momentary dip below 10 with WOT is going to hurt it that much? Am using your "two stroke oil" when I refuel, so hope that I can keep this from shelling out the VP-44 for a while. As long as I keep my foot out of it and the LP pressure at 10 psi think that I can put this next mod off for a while? Options as I see it are to either go with an upgraded stock system or save my pennies and get a FASS or AirDog system. Am kinda put off of the AD systems as I do not want to be pulling the bed off to install things, so leaning towards the FASS. That said, am absolutely not going to "hot rod" the truck, just want it reliable and not strand me on the side of the road somewhere.Thx,TF

Check out Michael's results buy just adding a Big Line Vulcan Kit. He originally had a factory LP & only added a kit. :thumbsup It should help to keep the VP44 out of trouble till the money comes in for an LP upgrade. I know I'm going to do it.Dave

• Owner

Check out Michael's results buy just adding a Big Line Vulcan Kit. He originally had a factory LP & only added a kit. :thumbsup It should help to keep the VP44 out of trouble till the money comes in for an LP upgrade. I know I'm going to do it. Dave

I tend to forget about that... LOL http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/vulcan/vulcan.htm

Hey Joe, I am with you on the not hot roding it, but man after a bout a week Iam here to tell you you cant help but stick your foot in it LOL Then get readdy to smile ear to ear. Because there is more to come. When I sidned on to these boards I was looking for a better lift pump. I didnt have any plans on buying a 500.00 Airdog. Now I ride around going to job after job looking for a 4x4 to build a pull truck out of, and then dont see any then say to my self my truck will do all I need is a front dif. I need a new truck anyway right. LOL Man when you hear one of these trucks turning 600hp it makes me wont to go to the bank and 8| oh I am getting carried away here. :smart

• Owner

Oh... I remember the days of adding my Edge Comp and trying to restrain from using 5x5. Oh when I did turn it up and stick my foot in it... It was a wonderful feeling of power and accomplishment for me. What made me feel even better was getting up on the rollers and fine out how much HP/TQ I was making.But now 4 years later it just a normal truck again. But it nice to known that when I step on the throttle to pass someone or heading to a fire... I've got the juice to pass anyone and more when I need to move!

Well it was nice for a while!Drove the truck a couple of times and it worked fine. Then drove it a couple of times and the "Attitude display" did not power up when I started the truck.Had to pick up a friend at the airport last night and same thing, no power to the display. Once I restarted the engine the yellow "check engine" display came on and nothing on the Attitude display. :mad Guess its now back to check all of the wiring, fuses and call Edge. Hope I do not have to go to the dealer to get the "check engine" light reset!FT

• Owner

FlatTwin... Here is the error dump for you... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/obd2-error-codes/obd2-error-codes.htm Then here is a valuable tool you could buy... http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/scangauge2/scangauge2.htm It's nice to be able to Scan for codes while your driving and also see live data from the computers...

Got the codes and they are:P1693P0238P0236Called Edge and they were somewhat baffled. The Attitude display is blank, but there is good (12.7) power at both fusebox connections, so I yanked everything out and it will be on the way to Utah this afternoon! They were saying that the codes shown usually reflect no input at one of the sensors, so am returning the wiring harness along with everything.Back to stock again!Thx,FT

I cannot tell much of a difference in the power but then was not looking for more power when I installed the unit. I did not add the wire to the VP-44 yet (ran out of time) so it defaulted to level 1 I believe. The Edge guys said that this alone is something like 40hp additional. For me the big deal was that it appears that I was getting about 2-3 mpg more than stock. Like I said, it was only a couple of days before it puked so this is not a scientific reading but the mpg readings did go back down after I pulled the unit out.FT

• Owner

What is the diff. between the comp. and the juice? What kind of mileage is it telling you?

Edge Juice and Edge Comp are exactly the same software... Same abilities... The only thing is different is the Edge Comp doesn't have the pretty little digital gauges and doesn't wig out like FlatTwin's did... LOL This is one of the main reasons I held to the Edge Comp. Because if something fails it fails as a complete uint and you lose the whole thing... So if my Comp fails I still got separate gauges. :thumbsup As for the Comp for MPG...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq0XG5qRLsM

P1693 - Companion code P0238 - MAP Sensor voltage too high P0236 - Boost too high too long

I would clear the codes and see if it comes back. If not then the Edge Juice was to blame...

Mike,Nice video and almost the same readings I am getting from my truck. Have cleared the codes and have driven twice with no codes popping up, so life is good. After talking with the guys at Edge really believe that the reason why this is happening is either an issue in the box or problem with one or two of the connectors in the wiring harness. Remember this was a used unit and not sure how gently the previous owner removed it from his truck. At least now it will return from Edge in good shape and we can start over again.Putting the Edge in the first time was a bit of a hassle (am NOT a diesel mechanic... yet!) so getting used to new stuff. Took about 90 minutes to put the harness in the first time. Now bet I could do it in 10 minutes now that I know where everything is and how to get to it, and the learning curve is coming down.

• 1 month later...

Well guys, got the new Edge back and it works excellent. Latest software, new harness and so on, FOR FREE! Hard to beat customer service like this, so they have made a new customer.Next thing to go is that I am still seeing low LP pump pressures so its time to change it out before I shell the VP44. Pressures are fine unless I put my foot in it, then they go down to 8 psi or so, and thats not helping the VP so its time to upgrade. Normal running is 10-11 psi but dammit, 10 psi is the bottom limit and thats not going to work. Have been looking at the FASS direct replacement geared pump. Its about $240 or so and about half or a bit more than half cost of the full blown FASS system. I simply cannot hack $600 right now but if I do not change it will cost me $1200, so something has to be done. Was thinking that if I put the new direct replacement geared pump and possibly a big line kit, that it would keep the LP pressures "in the green" and keep the VP happy. I am not planning on hot rodding the truck and even though the Edge is on it now, still have not hooked up the VP wire nor the exhaust temp thermocouple yet. Important for me is the LP pressure reading out of the Edge. Besides the truck is sitting right now and I am out on the road on a 20 day trip. Thx for the help!FT