• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gov. press. solenoid changed

Hopefully you adjusted your bands while you were at it? I had my dealer change the solenoid when they flushed the transmission, since they had the pan off anyway. Not worth me dropping the pan to do it and then trying to re-use the fluid or worse yet, buying 4 or 5 quarts of ATF-4. But, they still charged me $175 to do it.

I could do a write up but I just used a cut-n-paste from manual I found on CF. The tranny was serviced by the dealer when I bought the truck > 10k miles ago, they bands should have been done then. I had everything to do the bands but opted to leave them alone. I've never felt anything that even resembles a slip....even with 12k of trailer behind me. If it's not broke, don't fix it:cool:. I ordered the solenoid from transmissionpartsusa.com, it was around $45. Don't know who makes it but it didn't look like the one I took out, the actual solenoid part looked different.

• 1 month later...

your link is not working.

Posted Image Gov. press. solenoid changed

I need to change my solenoid also would love to find out what part you used (OEM or the GM upgrade) also didn't I read somewhere that there is another part that should get changed at the same time?

Mike do you have a write up for adjusting the bands on the 48RE?

Don

Just found it the OD solenoid.

Some say change the o.d. solenoid, some say change the pressure transducer. I only changed the governor pressure solenoid and my trans now shifts like butter. I got mine from transmissionpartsusa. It looks different than OEM but I don't believe it's the Borg Warner.

Band adjustment is needed (recommended) @ 100,000 miles.ADJUSTMENTSADJUSTMENT - BANDSFRONT BANDThe front (kickdown) band adjusting screw islocated on the left side of the transmission caseabove the manual valve and throttle valve levers.(1) Raise vehicle.(2) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut (Fig. 72).Then back locknut off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjustingscrew turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screwthreads if necessary.(3) Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in.lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.CAUTION: If Adapter C-3705 is needed to reach theadjusting screw, tighten the screw to only 5 N·m(47-50 in. lbs.) torque.(4) Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4turns.(5) Hold adjuster screw in position and tightenlocknut to 41 N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.(6) Lower vehicle.REAR BANDThe transmission oil pan must be removed foraccess to the rear band adjusting screw.(1) Raise vehicle.(2) Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.(3) Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns.Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.(4) Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.)torque (Fig. 73).(5) Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.(6) Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknutto 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.(7) Position new gasket on oil pan and install panon transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft.lbs.) torque.(8) Lower vehicle and refill transmission withMopart ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.Fig. 72 Front Band Adjustment Screw Location1 - LOCK-NUT2 - FRONT BAND ADJUSTERFig. 73 Rear Band Adjustment Screw Location1 - LOW-REVERSE BAND ADJUSTMENTDR AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 48RE 21 - 195

• Like 2