• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Does anyone have a way to make a switch to not be able to start the truck? It would meed to disable the VP and the starter, because the truck can be bump started. It needs to be put on a switch in the cab, that way it is easy to operate for the owner, and not the thief. Stodg

Does anyone have a way to make a switch to not be able to start the truck? It would meed to disable the VP and the starter, because the truck can be bump started. It needs to be put on a switch in the cab, that way it is easy to operate for the owner, and not the thief. Stodg

subscribed Want to know when I leave my truck for 5 weeks a good way to deter/prevent theft. Was thinking there might be away to trigger the fuel shutoff solenoid ?? :shrug: Not sure what else would be easy.

Since the VP44 has it's own fuel pump... truck can be driven a fair distance (think I drove 40 miles before mine shut off)... just disabling the lift pump seems to be a non-starter. Something which disables the VP44 or ECM would seem to be better to me. There are advantages & disadvantages to parking somewhere hard to tow out of. A place I worked at used big floor jacks with the wheels to move cradled 40' yachts... I saw it again when I bought a small pickup that was stored indoors between 2 pillars... Lift item, twist jack walks item sideways several inches, repeat as necessary. Once there's room, lift differential, roll truck diagonal. We did it on concrete floors indoors, outdoors used 1/8" steel sheets (had rope handles to drag) overlapped as shingles to get length. Outdoors, we used a WW2 surplus powerwagon with winch for locomotion.

I would be slick about it and tap in the PDC for the relay... Then take the time and hide the wire going back into the cab so no one figures it out. Then stash a rocker switch under the dash or else where and hook it all up.

How do you 'tap' a relay.

• Owner

How do you 'tap' a relay.

Pull the PDC loose from the fender and open up the bottom of the PDC and then you'll see all the wiring going to and from relays you can just snip into the wire and add a switch as wanted. But once again you MUST make it look factory. Because you never know if the thief will get smart and open the hood and look. Depends on conditions for the thief... If you truck is covered rather well he/she might take his time. The only thing that saved my 73 Charger from being stolen was the dummy kicked out my stereo first and ripped the wiring out. Well on the bottom of the stereo was a trio gauge set (temp, Amps, oil pressure) When the amp gauge was yanked loose the whole car went black. Now there is now way to steal it. So in the same principal you want to disable something but don't be obovious about what your doing for a disabling switch or device like I said make sure everything is covered / hidden.
  • Like 1

How easy do you need to be able to disable it? I got a smarty and the older software had a program that prevented the truck from starting. I also had one that would kill the engine with a load on it. It would start fine and idle but the minute you put it in gear it would die. I imagine it wouldn't be to effective on a manual. Could also tie it into another accessory. Like you have to push up on the window switch in order to activate the relay.

http://www.madselectronics.com/DownloadS03A.html Yes smarty has anti theft. The #5 ecm wire also works with a toggle switch. My truck runs with the fuel relay unpluged.

these updates sound interesting but can someone explain how this anti-theft workds if for example i have set on something other then SW0? Also anyone see the 3rd ione down Smarty S-03. Ver. 1.22B Data 2.07A Same as version 1 but with the TSB for extreme cold climates and driveablity enhancements for winter fuel. ( For automatic trans. only )

You got a VP44 right? :shrug:

Yes i have a vp44.Yes it will run without the relay.I put 50 miles on with no lift pump at all.Now i do have a hellmanns sump and maybe that helped it get fuel.I even hit the freeway doing 70mph.I had a friend help me and he unpluged the relay from my fass.I was about 30 miles into my trip and looked down at my fuel pressure and:stuned:I just wanted to get home.

--- Update to the previous post...

these updates sound interesting but can someone explain how this anti-theft workds if for example i have set on something other then SW0?

Also anyone see the 3rd ione down

Smarty S-03. Ver. 1.22B Data 2.07A

Same as version 1 but with the TSB

for extreme cold climates and

driveablity enhancements for winter

fuel. ( For automatic trans. only )

Well this may sound like a bummer.The anti theft has to be turned on and off every time you use the truck.

• Owner

Yes i have a vp44.Yes it will run without the relay.I put 50 miles on with no lift pump at all.Now i do have a hellmanns sump and maybe that helped it get fuel.I even hit the freeway doing 70mph.I had a friend help me and he unpluged the relay from my fass.I was about 30 miles into my trip and looked down at my fuel pressure and:stuned:I just wanted to get home.

:duh: Dude! Not that relay... The Fuel Pump relay in the PDC box not the FASS/AirDog relay... The fuel pump relay in the PDC (Power Distribution Center) should kill it dead...

Yes the smarty has to be reloaded everytime. I used it when parking it at the airport over the weekend. I saw the cold autotranny update but didnt live in WA at the time and forgot about it since then. What is the TSB? What about the fuse for the ignition? Not sure of the wiring dont have my FSM in front of me. When you saw fuel relay, I am thinking of a vp running with no pressure. Do we have a ASD relay or is that only gassers? Gotta look in the morning now. Got a idea for a new smiley. one scratching his chin as in deep thought. LOL

• Owner

Yes the smarty has to be reloaded everytime. I used it when parking it at the airport over the weekend.

I saw the cold autotranny update but didnt live in WA at the time and forgot about it since then. What is the TSB?

What about the fuse for the ignition? Fuses can be use from other locations to get it started.

Not sure of the wiring dont have my FSM in front of me. When you saw fuel relay, I am thinking of a vp running with no pressure. No... It would have fuel pressure but no power to the VP44 it would be dead. (Red / Lt Green wire)

Do we have a ASD relay or is that only gassers? Gotta look in the morning now. Yes and no... Yes there is on there but no I don't thing it effects the run of the engine.

Got a idea for a new smiley. one scratching his chin as in deep thought. LOL

Comments in blue...

If you find the smiley and bring it he I'll upload it to the system...:smart:

My 68 RoadRunner was stolen from a local mall around 1970. It was recovered with engine damage & body scratches and the punks who stole it arrested. Probably got a slap on the wrist. The dash lock was missing. The cop showed me they kids had a junkyard switch hot wired & a lead to touch the starter. Almost as fast to start that way as with the key. When I street parked in Boston, I left the wires hanging & took the dash lock in with me... impossible to keep folks out even with smooth door knobs... and they always hummed my lock. I grew tired of supporting Ma-Mopar.

I had fog lights mounted behind the cut out grill (all lights were off road Hella & Carrello H1s). Anyway I installed a padlock behind the grill... easy to undo if they had not tried to pop the hood... and I took the rotor in with me. They flattened my tires but I could refill from my SCUBA tank. At least the car stayed put.

Posted Image