• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering wheel loose & making popping noise?

Lately my steering wheel has developed some movement in it up & down & a popping noise. If you press on top or bottom of steering wheel it makes a pop & moves slightly up and down. It's even gotten so loose that the steering column & wheel seem to rattle when you hit a bump in the road. Is there anything common that gets worn out in these steering columns that causes the steering wheel to have movement in it like that & a popping sound. The popping sounds like it's coming in the area directly beind the steering wheel....Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Check this out, may be what your truck needs :shrug:http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

I'm not real sure that the bushing is going to help any in this situation....I took it apart last night trying to find out where the popping noise is coming from & it's immediately beind the steering wheel under the plastic cover part & buried inside the steering column....when you put pressure on the wheel on top or bottom you can feel the column pop right here....I didn't really want to dig into the column that far so I stopped & put it back together...I was wondering if it could be a bearing or bushing that could be worn or loose in that area....

If you have the time to wait I'll talk with one of the guys in the quality/repair shop at the plant where your column was built (I work there). The issue you describe is a known issue and if I remember it is the upper bushing/bearing assembly. But I will check to make sure and find out what parts are needed for the repair.DonPrinted the TSB off at the plant but then put it in my tool box and then forgot it SORRY :banghead: .Basically you grasp the wheel at 12 and 6 and note any up and down movement. You should have zero to +/- .010 up or down movement. If you have more then that or any noise like a clicking, clunking or ticking you will need to adjust the tilt wheel section of the column. Again I left the instructions on how to adjust it at work but will tie a string my finger or wherever to remember them.

• Like 1

I'm not real sure that the bushing is going to help any in this situation....I took it apart last night trying to find out where the popping noise is coming from & it's immediately beind the steering wheel under the plastic cover part & buried inside the steering column....when you put pressure on the wheel on top or bottom you can feel the column pop right here....I didn't really want to dig into the column that far so I stopped & put it back together...I was wondering if it could be a bearing or bushing that could be worn or loose in that area....

Hello Cumminspower: Just reading your comment about column noise, I followed the link back from our site, www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com, that dobienut posted. I'm hoping a few observations that I've learned over these past 5 years about our Ram's steering column & related issues (wander & steering play) may be of help to you or others. Keep in mind that column noise can telegraph very well, with the steering wheel acting as a 'monitor speaker' for even a looose lower bearing 'slap, clunk, rattle or scrape' (all various desc of noises manifested). I'm not disagreeing that it could be the upper bearing, it may very well be. I think checking the info on the TSB that Perrysburg DodgeBoy found about the tilt wheel adjustment would be a great lead to follow. Here's some characteristics & checks that suggest a lower bearing issue could be the cause: - clunk is felt, not just heard - felt in steering wheel and in pedals / floorboard - spring the encircles shaft and shaft are loose when pushed side to side or up & down - if doing that last check - push / pulling the spring / shaft all of the sudden changes the noise (temporarily) The upper bearing assy in the column seems to be trouble-free. In the 5 years we've offered our kit, I've not had even a couple of guys say it was causing them trouble. Incidentally, is yours Auto or Manual tranny ? - The columns differ, but both manage to have the same 'lower bearing wears out' issue. Come to think of it, the one upper column trouble sometimes seen on Auto trucks (very rarely), the upper tabs that locate the rotating shifter tube, within the larger outer column tube, can break or fail (due to collision impact), and then the upper end of that rotating shifter tube bangs around at the top, which is pretty close to the area you're describing. Our upgrade bushing fits in the lower end of this same rotating shifter tube, but won't make up for the shifter tube detachment at the opposite (upper) end, if that is what has occurred. Of course, this last part only applies if you're an Auto trans Ram. I'd love to hear your reflections and observations... Best Regards, David Alan :)
  • Like 1