• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dana 70 Problems

Rogan posted a pic of an open carrier, what you friend has is a limited slip carrier. he needs to pull the carrier out. it looks like one of 2 things, the clutch pack is fried and the plates are grinding together and binding it up or the spider gear thrust washers and or the mate shaft is bad, most likely a combonation of both. Now would be a good time to reclutch it so it is tighter but then it will grab and snap around corners all the time like a locker would act. that is how I set up all my limited slip diffs.

When ever you change oil in the limited slip you need to be sure to put in the limited slip additive or you will damage the limited slip capability. You get it from the Dodge dealer and it comes in something like 8 oz tubes.

When ever you change oil in the limited slip you need to be sure to put in the limited slip additive or you will damage the limited slip capability. You get it from the Dodge dealer and it comes in something like 8 oz tubes.

When I changed mine I never added anything.... It's been a long time ago, like 33k ago.... I think it's still working?:shrug:

You can buy spider gear cross and limited slip clutch kits from most gear vendors fairly reasonable. clutch kits are around 40 bucks last time i got one and complete spider gear cross kits are around 150 bucks give or take a few bucks. Limited slip additive is just to keep the clutches from ratcheting but running without it is not detrimential.

• Like 1

You can buy spider gear cross and limited slip clutch kits from most gear vendors fairly reasonable. clutch kits are around 40 bucks last time i got one and complete spider gear cross kits are around 150 bucks give or take a few bucks. Limited slip additive is just to keep the clutches from ratcheting but running without it is not detrimential.

Cool man, that doesn't sound too bad at all. Shouldn't be too hard to install it I don't think...:shrug:

Pretty simple project. Just watch the order of parts and stack them so the new ones go back in the same way. But its pretty simple. If you want a tighter limited slip you need to keep one friction disc from your old pack. factory stacks them so they slip easier to cure complaints of snapping and popping around corners, you will find steels stacked against steels and frictions against friction so it slips easier. to tighten it up start with steels against the side gear and alternate ending with a steel against the other side gear. There are actually bevel washers inbetween side gear and steel discs IIRC. I think you wind up with an extra steel that will not go back in and it gets replaced with a friction. Been a while since I have done one but you get the idea. This will make it act like a locker and it will snap and pop on pavement in corners regaurdless if it has ls additive in it or not. I always presoak the friction discs overnight in ls additive and gear lube mix before assembling it just so I know they are not dry on assembly.