• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Valve Lash

• Staff

My dad is bringing his 06 to town in a few weeks for some goody installs and I think we are going to adjust the vavles on both of our rigs. I plan to use 8/18 on mine, and since his in an 06 (10/26 stock) I am not sure what I am going to do, probably 8 on intake but ?? on exhaust.

• Staff

Say for instance I rig up my boost gauge to check drive pressure... So how could I adjust a Jacobs brake? Hmm.. Thinking I've got a 0 - 100 PSI water pressure gauge I could rig up in the pyrometer hole for testing purpose... So how would I??? :shrug:

If your jake is like mine the rod that actuates the butterfly valve is threaded. You would simply pop the ball and socket apart and turn the socket end. But I wouldn't go more than a turn or two, or you may hinder flow when the EB is off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

I adjusted the valves on my dad's 06 last weekend. The intake valves were all about .012, and we set them for .010. I thought about .008, but as it's his truck and not mine I went with .010. The 2006+ trucks have .026 as the exhaust, but if you look the ESN up with Cummins it says .020. I did some reseach as to why, and came up with nothing. The valves are different for 06, but it's unkown if they expand more. The best guess is that they needed to tighten up the shot group on the emissions just a little and the additional .006 of seat time combined with .006 less lift would reduce the emissions just enough, this is supported by the .020 from Cummins. We decided to play it safe and not ignore Dodge 100%. We set them at .023 which splits the difference and is in the safe level for both Dodge and Cummins. We also installed an intake horn from GDP. The day after the mod my dad towed his 5K lb 16' stock trailer from Boise to Seattle. He said his peak boost was up 2-3#, which is not what I expected. With more intake lift/duration and the lower restricted intake horn I expected peak boost to drop 2-3#. When I moved my boost reference line from the OEM horn to the intake manifold I lost 2-3# because the restriction in the OEM horn adds boost. So we figure the added air from the horn, and tighter exhaust valves is more than the lower restriction from the tighter intake valves.