• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6.0 PS Vs. 5.9 Cummins

ISX

Before I retired, I bought a 2005 Ford SuperDuty with the 6.0 Diesel. I got one heck of a good deal using the company's discount and suppler. After 6 months and at 20,000 miles (exact), it died. Now this might be somewhat of an inconvenience to some, but to us, it was in the middle of the summer, in the middle of the California desert, in the middle of the day with no shade. Nothing when you turn the key. I mean nothing.After an 1 1/2 hour waiting for the tow truck, it was a trip to the dealer, 100 miles away. They had it for 2 weeks and then they called for me to pick it up. So a trip to the dealer and a simple question: "What was the root cause and / or part that cause this to happen ?" After reviewing a 2 page computer printout of parts changed out and their explanation came to one simple thought, 'They Did Not Know' ! Just keep dumping in parts until it worked again. So before I left, I made sure I owed nothing, and listen to them explaining they will tow me in and repair it for a guaranteed year, not matter where I was at. Yea ... sure.So on the way home, I figured the root cause and I knew I could correct it to NEVER happen again. I stopped by my Dodge dealer, traded in the Ford, bought my truck, and I have VERY happy since.Unless they have change in a major positive way, buying a cummins is the only way to go. That was the biggest pain in the A%& I ever did maintenance on and I never ran into a dealership that did not know what was the root cause. And that was only 20k miles.Don't change the belt, sell the Ford ! They'll be happier for it in the long run.

I really have nothing against the truck. It drives very nice, shifts very nice, has lots of power. But when you get to the specifics you see it is at 20psi boost the entire time and cannot be worked on by a DIYer. If I was rich, I would have no problem buying one. I wouldn't care if I had to wait for a tow truck if it meant a smooth running truck at all other times. I used to drive an 01' duramax at a place for a while. It was veryyyyyyyy smooth and had the same acceleration unloaded as loaded with 20k lbs, and this was stock. I don't think it could damage itself in the least bit as smooth as it was. It all just comes down to the "if" part. If something breaks, then what. There goes my chance at buying a new dirt bike, a house, anything. The if part on my truck is so small it's barely legible. Gotta love the cummins.

A rancher I do a lot of repair work for has a 06 I think, 6.0 and he was hauling 3 bulls when the turbo went out. So he takes it to Ford and they fix at it and 4k later he gets a call to come get it. Check this out though, the truck only has 10k on it. He only used it to haul loads with. So 10k worth of hauling and what 35k new.:lmao:I told him to get Dodge.Oh yea he asked Ford if they would work with him due to it still smells new on the inside.:lmao::lmao:

That Serp brings back memories when I had a 92 E-350 with the old 7.3. I was going up I84 at the 3 corners of NY, NJ, and PA. Taking that big grade with the pedal to the metal, and that belt fell off and whipped around like a whip taking out hoses and wiring. So I had to call a wrecker, he said, "Where do you wanna go, Ford dealer?" I said, "No, to the nearest auto parts store." He took me there and luckily I had a helper with me who ran and got the parts while I did the surgery. I later changed the idler assembly that was always screwy on that van. Oh well, end of story.............:moon:

I wanna play! Ford Bashing! :ahhh:At home, my dad bought a new 1997 F-350 7.3L powerstroke, auto, 4 door, long bed... Huge truck. It ran great for the first 50k. Then, it started getting wimpy. We ended up trading it in after the truck couldn't get out of its own way in the mountains. We took it hunting after it had about 70k on it and it got stuck on a 6" root and didn't have the torque to get a wheel over it outside of low range. Pathetic. Turns out on the early Powerstrokes, they had a faulty air filter design that would allow dust into the engine, killing the compression and allowing tons of blowby. Ford should have replaced the engine, but instead told us that at 79,000 mi, it was out of warranty and not their problem, but it "drove fine" when they looked at it. My dad has since seen the light, and now has a CR 5.9. When I worked at the same dealership that sold my dad his ford, my lube bay was next to the diesel bay. That poor mechanic had to pull the entire cab off the truck to work on certain parts of the engine. It was normal to see him spend days pulling the cabs off new trucks to change stupid little stuff it would take a couple hours to change on a Cummins or Cat engine. I always figured if they wanted a damn cabover, they should have made the cab flip like a Cabover should!

I respect everyones opinions and what they own. I hope they do mine choice. Saying this, as i said earlier in this thread, I once bought an 05 Ford. Well, I just got a phone call from a close friend who bought an 05 the same month I bought mine. (He's a die hard ... only will own a Ford owner. I admit, he also maintains his vehicles better than the factory says to. He buys the best and does it all himself, if possible. But he also takes it in once a year to the dealer for a once over to make sure it's perfect.)Seems around 2,500 miles after the last dealer check, the engine died while on vacation. It was towed to a dealer. It showed 88k and change on the speedo. The mechanics told him the next day he had an issue. The engine needed to be replaced. Now he was talking fast and it sounded as if he was spitting in the phone between cuss words while telling me the story, but he had it towed home, which was just over 200 miles away. Then to his mechanic friend who rechecked the diagnosis. It needed an engine transplant. Cost: with all done, slightly over $10,000.00. I would have loved to see the insides of the old block and parts. He's now thinking it out, keep it with all this money in it, or trade and change vehicle, like I've been saying, Go Cummins. (no matter whoever has it in the vehicles). I just feel very sorry that my friend had experience this. Reminds me of the vehicles in the 60's and 70's, rebuild every 80K as a norm.