• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok here's the scoop, About a couple weeks ago my 98' 24 valve started stumbling and cutting out, now today she just up and died. It was as if I reached down and turned the key off. Brought it to a garage and he pulled up the following codes: P1688, P0237, P1693, & P1388. I have no clue what's goin on with it, getting married in 18 days and didn't need this :ahhh:Any ideas??Lucky

• Owner

Well the injection pump is dead... Why? Because the fuel pressure was most likely too low and could keep it properly cooled and lubed... So this means the lift pump is most likely the cause of the VP44 failure... Why? I know that these truck don't come with a fuel pressure gauge but should have... But strangly enough a simple $40 dollar fuel pressure gauge could of saved you $1,500 bucks worth of repairs bill now (VP44 replacement and lift pump replacement). http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/2ndgen24v/fuel-pressure/fuel-pressure.htm

I'm pretty sure I toasted my pump last winter when I was having trouble with my airdog system. Airdog has since sent me a new pump but obviously the damage was already done.Any suggestions of where to get the best deal on a vp44?

OK, ordered my vp44 pump and a fuel pressure gauge(tired of not knowing my fuel pressure) from DAP last night. Now I'm wondering how hard it is for the installation? I am hearing that the pump needs to be calibrated after it's put in, is this true and if so what is involved?

the installation is not difficult at all. there are some good instructions here for that. Blue chip diesel also has some good instructions. those are the ones i used to install mine. my son and i did the job in 4.5 hours form start to finish. i know of no calibration necessary for the pump after install. there is a keyway in the pump shaft that has to be installed just right for the timing i believe. that is covered in the installation instructions. Mine was good to go right after install. just take your time and follow the intructions. read them over a couple of times before you start. once you read them over you will understand the importance of the keyway and they care you need to take when installing it. a dropped keyway can cause a lot of extra work

• Like 1