• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My latest contemplation... DRW shortbed...

I think I'm gonna do a DRW axle swap, add flares, and dually wheels (along with whatever else needs to take place) and convert mine to a dually.. My first question is: Are there rear springpack differences between the 2500 and 3500? I was looking at my buddy's 95 3500, and the rear packs look identical..

DRW axle is 3-4" narrower. If you keep the same axle your drive tires will be out about 2" on each side vs factory DRW.Spacers bolt right on to the steer axle, no changes needed.I think the rear spring packs are the same. With your manual trans 2500 you have the D80 already so the actual axle is the same as the 3500s get. The weight rating may differ though. My '97 D80 DRW D80 is rated at 7500, I think my friend's '01 2500 SRW D80 is rated at 6800 but I don't recall. I know my friend's SRW F350 rear axle is rated at less than mine, and I think the SRW 2500 was the same as the SRW F350. That was a couple months ago that I was reading door jams between beers so it's foggy for a couple reasons...What are you going to do for flares? Why convert?

DRW axle is 3-4" narrower. If you keep the same axle your drive tires will be out about 2" on each side vs factory DRW. Spacers bolt right on to the steer axle, no changes needed. I think the rear spring packs are the same. With your manual trans 2500 you have the D80 already so the actual axle is the same as the 3500s get. The weight rating may differ though. My '97 D80 DRW D80 is rated at 7500, I think my friend's '01 2500 SRW D80 is rated at 6800 but I don't recall. I know my friend's SRW F350 rear axle is rated at less than mine, and I think the SRW 2500 was the same as the SRW F350. That was a couple months ago that I was reading door jams between beers so it's foggy for a couple reasons... What are you going to do for flares? Why convert?

thanks, mindless. As for the length, I've heard so many different measurements, I've no idea what is indeed true. I've heard DRW rears are 1", 2" and 4" WIDER. I've also heard they're 1-2" narrower.. LOL I'm converting for a couple reasons: 1: I want a dually, and funds won't allow that to take place. 2: I'd like the increase in tow capacity, if there's any gain. 3: See #1 :) As for the flares, duallyfendersusa.com has shortbed fenders for $700/pr. I am aware, that this isn't a "I don't like it, let me switch it back" conversion without buying a new bed. as for the steer axle spacers, are they interchangeable with older Ford? Just asking as to possibly broaden my junkyard search.. I considered keeping my D80, going with spacers in the rear (to retain my disc brakes on a budget), but I know spacers should not be towed with, and I do alot of that.

Dare to be different. :thumb1: Now that I think about I don't think they have short bed 3500 DRW... :shrug:

Only the MegaCab. And those flares look like ***, IMO.

thanks, mindless. As for the length, I've heard so many different measurements, I've no idea what is indeed true. I've heard DRW rears are 1", 2" and 4" WIDER. I've also heard they're 1-2" narrower.. LOL

Friend converted a SRW 2500, his outside duals stock size are about .5" OUTSIDE the dually flare. The SRW axle is without a doubt wider than the DRW axle

2: I'd like the increase in tow capacity, if there's any gain.

If anything you're reducing it since you're increasing the weight of your truck by a couple hundred pounds.... Same axle, same bearings, same brakes. It can and will increase stability though. Especially with goose/5th or slide in camper.

as for the steer axle spacers, are they interchangeable with older Ford? Just asking as to possibly broaden my junkyard search..

no idea but that'd be good to know, and would broaden my parts search as I look for a 95-97 Ford axle to swap outers with.

Friend converted a SRW 2500, his outside duals stock size are about .5" OUTSIDE the dually flare. The SRW axle is without a doubt wider than the DRW axle If anything you're reducing it since you're increasing the weight of your truck by a couple hundred pounds.... Same axle, same bearings, same brakes. It can and will increase stability though. Especially with goose/5th or slide in camper.

no idea but that'd be good to know, and would broaden my parts search as I look for a 95-97 Ford axle to swap outers with.

I'll let you all know as soon as I confirm. As for dripleys 2500 and 3500 having the same gross, then what denotes (especially if both have same springpacks) a difference in the 3/4T vs. 1T ?? Even in the SRW version of the 3500, why buy one, if it's the same as a 2500? Or am I just confused as hell..?

mine came with extra springs and a stabilizer bar on the rear and that might have made the differance. i would hate to haul my 5th with out them. i hauled my last 5th with a 2500 that did not have them. you could tell adifferance though the last one was about 3500# lighter than the one i have now. i was suprised there was no differance in gcvw of the two. i did not want a dually cause i figured the fenders would have lasted me about 6 months before i knocked them off. plus i only move my rv 3 or 4 time a year. some of the trips are pretty long, 500+ miles.

Just as an FYI, the Ford truck wheels had the same bolt pattern up until the 2000 model year. After that they use a metric pattern that does not fit the Dodge trucks.

Just as an FYI, the Ford truck wheels had the same bolt pattern up until the 2000 model year. After that they use a metric pattern that does not fit the Dodge trucks.

yeah, i think they went from 165mm to 170mm at that time.

• 4 weeks later...