• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

FP sender location - snubber won't fit! Help...

Hi there, I've searched Google, this forum, Cummins forum, and TDR without luck - if this is a dumb or repeat question I apologize in advance!

The previous owner of my Dodge put the Autometer FP sender between the fuel filter and the line to the VP. The sender failed, I ordered a new one plus the snubber to prevent the premature wear on that part.

Problem: the FP sender is angled such that the back butts up against the drain valve and the snubber definitely will not fit. I'm pretty scared of messing up the VP and don't want to tinker around without the advice/recommendations from more experienced folks!

Can I rotate the sender/fitting so it doesn't stick out into the drain valve? Or is it fitting threaded such that this angle is necessary to achieve a tight seal?

Thanks in advance!!

-Tiffany

you can cut into and install a fitting with a tap for your sender in the fuel line between the filter and vp. that is what i have done with mine though it is a mechanical gauge. talk to eric at vlucan performance and he could fix you up with whatever you need. that is vulcanperformance.com. still have not figured out how to post a link. maybe one day i will take the time to learn.

• Like 1

you can cut into and install a fitting with a tap for your sender in the fuel line between the filter and vp.

Thxy for the link! I'll definitely contact Vulcan and see what's available. I'll also send some pics of the current set-up because my explanations aren't super great sometimes. I hoped to reuse the current tap fitting somehow because I'm in a time-crunch, the fixer-up and clean-er-up list keeps growing, and I'm rather slow and these repairs and things!! (looking up everything before I do it, going slowly, double checking, you get the idea :duh: )

The fp averaged 15-17 psi, 11 psi WOT. Autometer gauges, I'm generally happy with them. They were installed before they were aware of the problem with the senders going out prematurely due to the fp spikes on start up. My gauge totally went out a few weeks ago - this big dummy didn't fix it until now.This week I'm going over the truck with a fine tooth comb before I move. Yesterday I went under the bed to check on things... and there's the stock, rusty old Carter politely sitting on the frame :ahhh: I refuse to drive it until the new fp sender is in. Shame on me for assuming the lp was replaced when the ex installed the reloc kit when we started dating (I adopted truck in 2007 after we split). I've taken care of it, added to it, watched my fp like a hawk, randomly checked codes for p0216, etc. like a responsible owner of a vp. I haven't made any further fuel mods or inspections because pressure is good, I don't tow/haul a lot, and the crappy Carter was already replaced, right?I pretty much feel like a huge (insert colorful words here) dummy for driving a modded truck on a stock lp @ 222k without a working fp gauge for several weeks :(

the idle pressure isnt bad, but the wot is a low. you need at least 14 to 15 to insure plenty of fuel is circulating to keep your vp cool. the fuel also keeps your pump lubricated. 2 stroke oil added to your fuel will help that alot. about 1oz per gallon.whats killing your sender is not just a spike at start up, but the water hammering effect the vp produces when the engine is running. the crappy carter you speak of, is just that crappy. i had an intank replacement curtosey of dodge which deliver even less pressure than you have. installed a carter booster pump on the frame rail which got mine up considerably. i was fine with that and no fp gauge untill i really started looking into the fuel systems on our trucks. after several articles and some time on other forums, i found mikes site here and found more help here than all of them put together. ditch the carter and upgrade to a raptor, fass, or and air dog. you will be glad you did. replacing a vp is not difficult but paying for one is. i have not gone into any great detail here due to the fact that Mike has some very good and helpful write ups on all of the above( fuel pressue, water hammer, lift pumps and many other things). Just go to the home page and look under 24valve section and read. then you can form your own opinions on which way to go. if you have more question after you read just post them and we will try and answer them for you. by the way, when you see a 216 code it wil probably be to late

after several articles and some time on other forums, i found mikes site here and found more help here than all of them put together.

:hyper: I cannot agree with you more! I read many of Mike's posts on the cumminsforum.com, was very impressed with his knowledge, and made my way to his forum. The diagrams and detailed explanations are perfect for my needs. Varying information on other sites has me sixteen kinds of confused. For example, the Cummins shop suggested I simply add a second Carter to my existing Carter. Another diesel shop said my only option is a the $600 complete AirDog kit. I'm lost and do not like feeling this way. Mike's forum (so far!) has the most even keeled sensible approach to repairs and things. I haven't finished all of his articles yet, not many more to go. I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions when I am done. Definitely appreciate the members at this forum, and Mike of course for his time and efforts! I emailed Vulcan and the gentleman responded within 24 hours, excellent service! He suggested adding another washer (part SW12) to the fitting under the filter so it will index at a different angle (hopefully one which will work for my snubber!). ~Here~ is a link to the mobile gallery w/ a pic. I'm optimistic about this fix! :)

i did put an air dog II165 on mine. i dont have all the mods you do but i just put in what would handle any thing else i might want to do or wish to do. at least i want have to worry about fuel pressure any more. the raptor is a good way to go at about $350 i think. that would be better than another carter. i pretty much did the same thingfor a while. i put a new vp on from blu chip diesel and at $1700, the air dog is great insurance even at $650. ther are good vp's out there for around $1000, but to loose it to fuel pressure sucks no matter what you paid for it.

The sealing ring indexed the fitting at a different angle and snubber/sender fit! The gauge is clearly receiving steady info :thumb1:

But... the needle tries to move counter-clockwise :mad:

New gauge as well I suppose. Was originally installed 2005 so not out of line for it to be bad. Perhaps working with the faulty sender messed it up or the new sender has different wiring than the original one. This stinks :broke:

--- Update to the previous post...

Guys, I went with the raptor series pump, thank you for your input :hyper::)

The fuel sys isn't re-priming and I've followed the posted instructions by Mike. New thread for this problem here :shrug:

I pretty much feel like a dumb-butt and want to cry :cry: