• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help! Return fuel line to the tank is broken at the top of the sending unit.

Well everyone, wondered why my fuel level has been going down so fast lately. Got out of the truck only to see a puddle of fuel leaking on the driveway. Got underneath it and as best as I could find the return line to the top of the fuel tank/sending unit was loose. Went to a friendly garage and got the truck up in the air and confirmed it. We put a draw straw along with a Raptor 100 pump in about a year ago and its been running fine since that time. Now this happens and of course it has to be 108 degrees and humid out there this week, so getting under the puppy for hours at a time to get the sending unit out just is not going to happen, at least right now. My problem so far is that NO one has a new "sending unit" part for the top of the fuel tank. They all want to sell me the fuel pump assy which would have this but I do not need the fuel pump, only the top of the part so I can put the draw-straw in it. Anyone have any ideas on where to get something like this? Have tried a couple of wrecking yards but so far everyone only has gas versions of the RAM and not sure that this is the same part. As well hoping not to have to go to Dodge and get bent over there... Ideas or suggestions? Thx,Joe

• Owner

Ekkkk...:stuned: I don't know... :shrug: All I can say is that the stock modules are like gold if you do find one you going to pay for it. I know you don't want a new intank pump either... :duh: You might consider talking to Eric at VulcanPerformance.com and ask him if there is a module to be had or a way to modify around the issue... :shrug:

If it's just the nipple that's broken, why not modify the housing top by drilling/inserting a push-lock nipple fitting in place with some plastic-welding (I've plastic-welded may things with a soldering iron and a zip tie) if you use a plastic/nylon one. Or go with a brass one.

like using this on top:

Posted Image

and this one, inside..

Posted Image

Or one of these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Rogan,

You and I think alike! I really did not want to pull the tank (or tilt the bed) but now looks like I have no choice.

Have been to a couple of wrecking yards this morning and one good diesel shop here in Phoenix (Strictly Diesel by Deer Valley Airport) and there are no used sending units for sale and the diesel shop did one of these last week for "only" $800! They were nice enough about it but the part that needs to be replaced comes ONLY from Dodge and ONLY with a fuel pump in it for $500. We would then have to yank the new fuel pump assy out and install the draw straw, which is silly.

Sorry, been an aircraft mechanic too long to spend that kind of $$ on something like this, so its yank the tank time. My only concern is that the return line, at least at the tank, is the hard plastic kind and not rubber and wondering how a bayonet fitting is going to work with this, but guess we will find out! The nipple is the "dodge push on" type and not a simple one where a fuel hose is inserted on as shown in your illustrations. It takes a special plastic fitting to make work and I am going to have to work around that and use something else.

Will report back in and see how this goes!

Thx,

FT

--- Update to the previous post...

Fuel line has the type of fittings like on this photo, except that the broken nipple is plastic:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/user_gallery/displayimage.php?&photoid=26371&width=0

Here is another suggestion: you can lift the bed to access the top of the fuel tank module and clean up the top of the module. Get an epoxy type fuel/gas tank repair kit and epoxy the place where it is leaking. The modules are VERY expensive for what you get. A couple of years ago I got one for another truck and they were $323!!

Hopefully making a bit of headway.post-52-138698179384_thumb.jpgTwo photos of the same thing, just from a different angle. The wire connector on the left is for the fuel gauge. The rubber "nipple" that is a cap is on the right side of everything and in the foreground is the drawstraw from Vulcan for the main fuel feed.In the middle is the black hose that uses that damm special clip that Dodge uses for fuel lines and where this clips on is whats cracked or broken. This is the fuel injection return line.First question is, does anyone know if the "capped off" part to the right of the return line could be used for the return fuel? Its pointing directly at you in the second photo.Second question is in the foreground on the left side is another nipple but I am guessing that this is a vent and not able to use it for return fuel. Anyone know for sure? Its the ground grey thing on top of the light colored plastic piece on the left.Thx,Joe

post-52-138698179375_thumb.jpg

Well gents, I believe that the problem is solved!Got under the truck again this morning after studying the above photos and removed the "nipple" that was blocking the second port next to the one that broke. Its best seen in the second photo above, with the rubber nipple cover on it. Unfortunately it was the next size larger, so the return fuel line would not slip on. You know, for almost $1000 I am not going to let this slow me down too much.Finally gave up and took the "quick disconnect" end on the return fuel line and with a small hobby saw, cut the quick disconnect bit off. No going back now! This left me with the hard plastic line but also with the hard plastic portion of the quick disconnect fitting still inside the plastic line, which made it lots stiffer. Then took a 3" piece of fuel hose that I found around the shop and slipped it onto the fuel return line, then tightening it with some hose clamps that I was lucky enough to have on hand. Then put the hose on the larger plastic fitting that was not broken and using the screw clamp tightened it snugly. Have to be careful on these as these are nothing but plastic molded fittings, so do not want to crank down too hard here.Started the truck up and its dry as a bone on top of the truck! Problem fixed and for less than a buck! How just hope it holds but should and if not then will pull the bed off or drop the tank and put a fitting on the puppy!Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it leaks again and you gotta pull it, NAPA sells a erpair line that has the quick connect fittings on about an 18" long tube. I would jb weld that into the top of the fuel module and they also sell a quick connect to a barb fitting in a 90 degree. Glad you got it fixed for now. :thumb1:

• Like 1