• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filter Minder

jlwelding

I installed a new air filter when I bought the truck about 3 months ago and noticed the filter minder was pulled down some so I released it and found it pulled down again. This was a federated air filter with the extra media for heavy dust, anyway I changed to a Wix filter and so far it has not pulled down. Is this normal for it to pull down when it's clean? I know I may have got on it a little and was just wondering what is going on there.

I agree with Michael, it could have been to dense.Food for thought. When I worked, we had differential pressure gauges indicating condition of media. On one one air filter system, we took the media out and check for efficiency, and found out it was actually 'very' effective, more than estimated by the engineers. When air was blown backwards through the media, there was a dust cloud emitting from the filter and collected in the test chamber. Shorter filter life than expected, but best for the $1.4m machine. Was the removed filter check for possible debris ?

Agree. But does this mean you discount checking the media entirely ? If the media was designed for this individual vehicle, it should have a service life considered by the manufacture.I'm just suggesting checking the media for possible concerns.Also, the indicator could be of question.

• Staff

This was also an issues with the original 2" OEM filter, but the new 4" filter is not an issue. Mine doesn't even budge with my Home Depot CAI, cam and turbo WOT at 400+ rwhp. I have read about multiple fitment issues with the WIX, and just stick with OEM.

Just a little info, the federated filter was just slightly discolored (white when new) only 2k miles. I thought the fit on the wix was pretty good, it has a soft rubber that seemed to mold to the box lid. When you say oem are you buying from dodge?I am just looking for the best flow, it could have something to do with the bad fuel mileage. How would you find test results on the filters? I have serched and come up with nothing.

Mine only moves if I have a "heavy foot"!!! That only happens a few times a year, so I essentially don't pay any mind to it. Sometimes when I pull a long grade while towing and she'll suck down (I wish) and sometimes she won't. I just wind up cleaing my air filter once per year. I run the Fram Boost 2 filter(AEM knockoff) with a filter cover/condom on it. So far so good.

• Staff

If you are concerned about flow issues you may want to look into an intake system from someone like AFE with a dry media. I had one on my '96 and it worked well in all conditions, rain snow dust turbo stayed clean.

Honestly unless you are over 450 rwhp, or more, the stock setup can be made to preform better than aftermarket for less money.

• 2 weeks later...

This was also an issues with the original 2" OEM filter, but the new 4" filter is not an issue. Mine doesn't even budge with my Home Depot CAI, cam and turbo WOT at 400+ rwhp. I have read about multiple fitment issues with the WIX, and just stick with OEM.

The Amsoil EAA189 was discontinued becuase it lacks in the flow department, supposedly they are working on a new 4" filter to meet or beat OEM flow.

:thumb1:I just installed a 4" thick Wix 49946 air filter from amsoil last night and the fitment was perfect actually better than the amsoil I took out, it replaced the amsoil filter which has served its purpose so we will see how this new one performs. I drive a lot of gravel roads and was surprised to find how much sand was inside the filter box this time around that I had to vacuum out, I too have the cold air intake mod to the stock box. I had not checked it in a while.:doh:

Well got 150 miles of towing my pontoon to the lake and back and this is the first time in 4 years of owning this rig that it didn't peg the restriction gauge heck it didn't even move. Under normal driving with no trailer in tow it would pull it half way down so to do a heavy pull through hills for 150 miles and not have it move is great, I did notice conciderable less black smoke also.:thumb1: