• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering box brace

So I ordered a steering box brace from Spohn Performance. It arrived a couple days later, and I will say, seems to be a pretty class A piece.Well, it won't fit. sorta. It's the right part, and is made properly. HOWEVER, I also run a plow in the winter. The truck-side bracketry (spreader bar, torque arms, etc.) are all kinds of interfering with the installation of the new bracket... I'll investigate more this evening, and see if I can slightly 'mod' something to gain the clearance I need..Otherwise, the new steering brace will be up for sale... :doh:

I did the same thing about a month ago. I called the manuafacturer and told them that what happened. They were very nice and offered my money back but I kept it thinking that I may modify it later to fit. If any truck needed one of these things installed, it would be a truck with the added weight of a plow.One would think that the company that sells these things would print a warning regarding plow equipped trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, update. I got the thing installed Sunday. I had to trim a little off of the snow plow brackets, but I don't feel it will be structurally degrading for the plow assembly. I also had to shim the spindle nut (pitman arm retainer nut) ~ 1/4" out, to compensate for the plow mount thickness. This was done by using the OE lock-washer in addition to the new washer. This still leaves plenty of thread for the locator nut on the steering box output shaft (pictures will follow, soon.)I also removed the swaybar in the front, as the end links were gassed and needed replacing.First Impressions: Holy ____! The truck steers and rides 10 times better. It actually steers sooo much better than before. Bear in mind the output shaft on my steering box would move laterally a little, and required a tad more steering input than normally needed. It's all gone, now. I have to say that this is the 2nd biggest improvement, behind the Edge Juice w/Attitude, that I've done to the truck.The brace, coupled with the sway bar removal and new L/F ball joints, has made it so much more enjoyable to drive.

• Like 2

Ok, update. I got the thing installed Sunday. I had to trim a little off of the snow plow brackets, but I don't feel it will be structurally degrading for the plow assembly. I also had to shim the spindle nut (pitman arm retainer nut) ~ 1/4" out, to compensate for the plow mount thickness. This was done by using the OE lock-washer in addition to the new washer. This still leaves plenty of thread for the locator nut on the steering box output shaft (pictures will follow, soon.) I also removed the swaybar in the front, as the end links were gassed and needed replacing. First Impressions: Holy ____! The truck steers and rides 10 times better. It actually steers sooo much better than before. Bear in mind the output shaft on my steering box would move laterally a little, and required a tad more steering input than normally needed. It's all gone, now. I have to say that this is the 2nd biggest improvement, behind the Edge Juice w/Attitude, that I've done to the truck. The brace, coupled with the sway bar removal and new L/F ball joints, has made it so much more enjoyable to drive.

i am curious about that swaybar removal just like RJC2 is.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999-Dodge-Ram-4x4/Steering-Box-Stabilizer-Brace-1994-2002-Dodge-Ram-4x4-1500-2500-3500.html ? I had heard these are really worth the money Direct fit on stock truck without snowplow ?

That's the one. You can order it in red or black. I got mine in red, because I didn't state which, so that's what they sent me. It is a direct bolt-on w/o a plow. My bearing assembly was pressed in crooked, so I had to realign the bearing within the housing (no big deal.) WELL WORTH the money.

Rogan, I was wondering if taking the sway bar off was okay to do, and what the effects are on the drivability.

i am curious about that swaybar removal just like RJC2 is.

Drivability (a week, now) seems really unaffected. It actually feels a little smoother in ride quality. However, I haven't pulled the trailer yet. I will this weekend, and update you all on the drivability. I ran my Jeep Cherokee with 35s and 10" lift with removed sway bars, with no ill effects.

It's apple harvest time in Winchester Va. He may be busy.:ahhh:

that, it is :) But I stay busy with two jobs, anyway. I'll be glad when it slows down a bit.

I have installed every steering mod there is on my 02 and the best one of all was going to a 3.3 turn steering gear. Hands down the one steering mod that should be made for improved steering on every 2nd gen Dodge period.:2cents::thumb1:

I plan to do that, as well.. Just won't happen this year.. :(

The manufacturers have them for both 2wd and 4wd. It appears that there is a little difference in the way they are made from looking at them. The steering weakness would be the same with either version. The 4wd has a bit more weight on the front end so that could have an effect.

Nice, the things we learn on this site!

Thanks,

Dave

--- Update to the previous post...

i always thought the 4X4's were the ones with the problem. do te 2wd have it also?

I don't really know, that was sorta my question.

Since I put all 4 new ball joints & had the front end aligned, it's much better.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to tell if you would be better off withA) steering brace B) steering box C) new links and tie rods ? How to tell if you steering box is loose ... I got under truck and pulling on it felt tight but my steering is loose .... No play in steering shaft column tho ... Just loose when steering