• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stupid Question #29: Batttery Disconnect

OK, I have all the bits together to install my 2nd hand Juice w Attitude. First step in the instructions is to disconnect the batteries (remove both neg terminals). I'm a bit spooked to do that - am I going to wipe out programs in my ECM/PCM? Will I have to reprogram the throttle position sensor? Will my auto trans start to do flaky things after I reconnect the batteries? Or will it be like most other vehicles, no big deal, no worries.Sorry for the stupid question, just want to be prepared. Thanks for your patience.Joe in St Louis

OK, I have all the bits together to install my 2nd hand Juice w Attitude. First step in the instructions is to disconnect the batteries (remove both neg terminals). I'm a bit spooked to do that - am I going to wipe out programs in my ECM/PCM? Will I have to reprogram the throttle position sensor? Will my auto trans start to do flaky things after I reconnect the batteries? Or will it be like most other vehicles, no big deal, no worries. Sorry for the stupid question, just want to be prepared. Thanks for your patience. Joe in St Louis

i have had mine off countless times and the only thing you have to is reset your apps or tps whichever. connect the batteries, turn on the swicth, not the engine, depress the throttle slowly down, release it slowly, then turn the switch off. i dont have an auto, but would not think it makes a differance. i am sure someone will corect me if i am wrong on the auto.
  • Like 1

i have had mine off countless times and the only thing you have to is reset your apps or tps whichever. connect the batteries, turn on the swicth, not the engine, depress the throttle slowly down, release it slowly, then turn the switch off. i dont have an auto, but would not think it makes a differance. i am sure someone will corect me if i am wrong on the auto.

Thanks for all the quick replies. Just to clarify, I WILL have to reset the APPS/TPS using your procedure, or I MAY have to? If the latter, what is the indication that it needs to be done? Should I expect to see a CEL? Do I really need to disconnect the batteries or could I hook everything up before installing the fuses?

I'm asking all these questions because I believe the computers are the most fragile part of these trucks & I don't trust all will be well if I disconnect the batteries. Maybe I just need to get over it - God hates a coward!

Thanks for your help,

Joe in St Louis

• Owner

First take a deep breathe... Relax... Exhale... :) Now just go ahead and pull the cable its best to CYA (Cover Your Arse) than to create more problems. As for reset just follow the APPS reset and move on... http://articles.mopar1973man.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:apps-sensor-replacement-procedure&catid=26&Itemid=107 (Bottom of the page) See now was that easy or what... :)

• Like 2

its when you dont disconnect the batteries and start shorting things that those computers can get hurt. once you do it you will see how simple it is and if you do other things later you will not to worry about it. there have been times i have disconnected mine and forgot to reset the apps. this too wil not hurt any thing, youmight get a code or she might not act right. if so just disconnect the negatives again let it sit for 30 minutes and do the reset. no harm will come to anything if you forget.

What happens if I don't reset it, I just leave the battery cables off, then put them on, then jump in the truck and go..?

what you talking about boss - you did this yourself at least 3 times on my 24 v :lmao2: That's what I love about MM73 !! Noone gives you a hard time - and no big deal on asking basic qustions - if you look though my posts you will see the majority of them fit that category - but I learnt EVERYTHING of this forum ..... great site and bunch of guys !!! For your question - I have done it 10+ times without resetting tps. One time I did have to pull to side of road and do it due to some surging - and that fixed the issue. So maybe safe to do anyway - but no bigdeal. I love the juice BTW - don't do what I did and experiment with 10 different programmers - I reckon juice or powerpuck for us 24v'rs.

Thanks for all your help guys. Your experience gives me the confidence to go on. Without your help I'd rather do the valve adjustment on a twin cam 8 valve desmo than disconnect the batteries on my truck.:lol:Joe in St louis

what you talking about boss - you did this yourself at least 3 times on my 24 v :lmao2: That's what I love about MM73 !! Noone gives you a hard time - and no big deal on asking basic qustions - if you look though my posts you will see the majority of them fit that category - but I learnt EVERYTHING of this forum ..... great site and bunch of guys !!! For your question - I have done it 10+ times without resetting tps. One time I did have to pull to side of road and do it due to some surging - and that fixed the issue. So maybe safe to do anyway - but no bigdeal. I love the juice BTW - don't do what I did and experiment with 10 different programmers - I reckon juice or powerpuck for us 24v'rs.

If I did then I don't remember it. I usually work on everything hot because I hate messing with battery terminals. Every time you touch them they stretch a little more and then they don't grip as tight so then you gotta spread them and file them so they will grip tight again.... If it were me I would reset it but only go to half throttle so then you don't gotta push as much to get full fuel :smart: I still want more details on why exactly I have to do this. If you reset the pedal, then disconnect the batteries, then hook it back up, your telling me that the limits will be screwed up like the ECM can't remember anything? I don't see why it would ever have to be reset in the first place, not like the pedal travel ever changes, unless you smash it into the carpet I guess.

i have forgotten to reset mine before. i think i had a problem with it a couple of times but dont remember what. so if you froget to and drive off and everthing is working right just keep on driving. again no harm no foul. i might reset mine tomorrow with that half throttle thing you said just to see what happens. i think iam going to have to file on that battery cable. my oe on the passanger side doesnt tighten as well as it used to.