• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Transfer case blow up

viclynn78

I have a dodge 2005, 3500, 4x4, automatic, 5.9- Transfer case blow up nothing left. Took driveshaft off & got it home. Fuel mileage jump to 22mpg. Think I would like to not put 4 wheel drive back, save on fuel. How do I do this. I've already replaced trans & injectors done this year. Need to go cheapest route posible.Vickie:ahhh:

Converting it to "no transfer case" is probably a lot of work & new parts as well. You could leave the driveshaft off... (cheapest)You could eventually install the hub conversion to "manual hubs" like the old 4X4s & reinstall the drive shaft. I think the manual hubs get the best mpgs.

The vacume activated Center Section Disconnect (front axle) proved troublesome. My 01.5 has it. Later trucks do not. With out the CSD, the truck motion drives the front diff all the time. There was nothing wrong with the older still way with unlocking hubs... except people had to get out (BooHoo). I think converting the truck in question to locking hubs would get the most mpg gain. If I wanted a 2WD truck, I think I'd trade for one.

• Owner

I've got both styles here... The 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 has the CAD system and the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 has the solid axles. As for the CAD system if you loose vacuum the axles will not lock. Some convert to a manual pull cable setup so you get 2WD LO range. As for my solid axle Dodge the spinning axle really doesn't effect MPG's too much but I able to reach 21-22 MPG normally and high mark 25.3 MPG...

• 1 year later...

I've got a free spin kit on mine with Warn locking hubs. When the unit bearing BOTH went out, it only cost me a little bit more to upgrade to this and 35 spline axles! I gained the 2 low aspect, and now bearings will only cost me $40, not to mention less wear on the front driveshaft joints! I gained about 1.5 MPG with the kit. Not a whole lot of difference. Unless you have the money or need to replace both unit bearings, its a pretty pricey way to gain 1.5 MPG.

• Like 1

I've got a free spin kit on mine with Warn locking hubs. When the unit bearing BOTH went out, it only cost me a little bit more to upgrade to this and 35 spline axles! I gained the 2 low aspect, and now bearings will only cost me $40, not to mention less wear on the front driveshaft joints! I gained about 1.5 MPG with the kit. Not a whole lot of difference. Unless you have the money or need to replace both unit bearings, its a pretty pricey way to gain 1.5 MPG.

I've got the SpynTec version of the "free spin" hub kits. Installed it in July, and have almost 9000 miles on her now. I've picked up around 1mpg easily. That said; in regard to the OP, my Bud with an '03 had his transfer case go away also. No particular reason, except he had about 250,000 miles on it at the time!!!!

• 2 months later...

Good information, in the middle of Transfer case rebuild, may just go with the Warn free spin kit at the same time. Did you install yourself? What was the cost?

Good information, in the middle of Transfer case rebuild, may just go with the Warn free spin kit at the same time. Did you install yourself? What was the cost?

Pepe, I've got the SpynTec free spin hub kit on my '04.5. Installed it in July with the help of a Bud of mine. Not hard, just time consuming due to the size of the parts involved. My kit has Mile Marker hubs. They've been great so far; I've put almost 14,000 miles on since the install. The kit I got cost $1550+tax+shipping IIRC.

Pepe, I've got the SpynTec free spin hub kit on my '04.5. Installed it in July with the help of a Bud of mine. Not hard, just time consuming due to the size of the parts involved. My kit has Mile Marker hubs. They've been great so far; I've put almost 14,000 miles on since the install. The kit I got cost $1550+tax+shipping IIRC.

Dorkweed, thanks, I also have a '04.5. Looks like this is the way I should go. Heard a noise at about the Transfer case, rebuilt the front drive shaft, put it back on and still a noise coming out of the Transfer case, off with the front driveshaft and ready to rebuild the Transfer Case.

• 2 weeks later...