• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pressure / Tach gone crazy

Man, I need a break... this morning, went out to get ready for work.. start truck for warm up. Leave about 10 min later. About 4 miles from house, look down at gauges and no oil pressure, turn around, go back to house. Check oil, ok, it was a little low (Qt & 1/2) but not enough to show no pressure. It didn't knock or run any different than normal. So I check the gauges out ( key off, push and hold trip odom. button, turn key to on) Everything checks out ok. So I figure its the oil pres. sending switch. Call Autozone... $197 bucks. No way i'm paying that, can get a aftermarket for $100. So, I drove it today, no problems: water temp ok, no engine nock, the check gauges light did come on, of course.Question is, anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to fix, or what should I check?Also, a few weeks ago, running north on I-35W towards Ft. Worth, happen to look down, and Tach shows nothing. About a mile or so, it comes back up. Only time it happened. A few days later, it happened again. Engine didn't sputter, ran fine, tach just crazy or what. Any thoughts?

oil pressure switch from my search,advance auto $17.99auto zone $24.99worth a try since i did not blow up while you were driving it.whacky tach i would think cam or crank shaft sensor. i think yours will have a crank sensor not sure when they changed over to the cam sensor like i have.

Ordered one from Geno's garage for under $100... called Auto Zone today, $197, Oreilly's $212, Dealer $257, wasn't about to pay that, can get a aftermarket gauge for $100 to $150, but then have to deal with the "Check Gauges" light. It's been a good truck, have 348,000 on her now, been through: 5 lift pumps (aftermarket soon), original clutch (southbend currently), on the 3rd VP-44 (first replacement from Dodge dealer, only lasted 14 months) on 3rd clutch master cyl., countless front pads (finally found the "Severe Duty" pads from Wagoner, tires are a different story, stay away from Interco, there too soft, 8800 miles on first set, I have ran Maxxis Bighorns and they seem to last pretty good, usually around 35 to 40 k. The best thing is, it's been paid off for 4 years....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received my packages from Geno's yesterday. I just finished installing the oil pres. sensor.... IT WORKS!!! Now all I have to do is find out were the crankshaft pos. sensor is.... been looking in the '01 Ram Service Manual, but can't find it.. shows a cam pos. sensor... more searching.... say a prayer for me!

--- Update to the previous post...

I forgot to mention the new problem, With a mechanic freind telling me about the crankshaft position sensor operates with the tach, and he also said that it affects the system charging..... last Friday when I was on my way to Texas Motor Speedway to set up the tent for the weekend race.... the volt meter was showing max'd out, 18 volts... scan gauge said anywhere from 14.0 to 18.0 volts, but mostly in the 14 to 15 range, so I'll see how it works once I replace the Crank Sensor.... again, if I can find out where the hell it goes!

Mind if I ask what size socket you used for the Oil Pressure sensor?

Thanks!

Posted Image

larger picture location: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_2_feb98/figures/isb_components.jpg

CKP # 10, lower-right of picture.

Fuel System Components - 24-valve Cummins Turbo Diesel engine

1. Fuel Transfer (Lift) Pump

2. Fuel Return Line (to Fuel Tank)

3. Fuel Supply Line (Low Pressure, to Engine)

4. Fuel Heater

5. Water-in-Fuel (WIF) Sensor

6. Fuel FilterlWater Separator

7. IA T Sensor

8. Map (Boost) Sensor

9. Fuel Drain Manifold

10. CKP Sensor

11. CMP Sensor

12. Overflow Valve

13. Drain Valve

14. Fuel Pressure Test Potts

15. ECM

16. ECT Sensor

17. Fuel Injection Pump

18. Throttle Lever Bell Crank and Apps

19, High-Pressure Fuel Lines

20. Fuel Injectors

21. Fuel Heater Temperature Sensor (Thermostat)

22. Oil Pressure Sensor

23. Fuel Injector Connector

24. Drain Tube

25. Intake Manifold Air Heater/Elements

Mind if I ask what size socket you used for the Oil Pressure sensor?

Thanks!

Posted Image

larger picture location: http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/mt_2_feb98/figures/isb_components.jpg

CKP # 10, lower-right of picture.

Fuel System Components - 24-valve Cummins Turbo Diesel engine

1. Fuel Transfer (Lift) Pump

2. Fuel Return Line (to Fuel Tank)

3. Fuel Supply Line (Low Pressure, to Engine)

4. Fuel Heater

5. Water-in-Fuel (WIF) Sensor

6. Fuel FilterlWater Separator

7. IA T Sensor

8. Map (Boost) Sensor

9. Fuel Drain Manifold

10. CKP Sensor

11. CMP Sensor

12. Overflow Valve

13. Drain Valve

14. Fuel Pressure Test Potts

15. ECM

16. ECT Sensor

17. Fuel Injection Pump

18. Throttle Lever Bell Crank and Apps

19, High-Pressure Fuel Lines

20. Fuel Injectors

21. Fuel Heater Temperature Sensor (Thermostat)

22. Oil Pressure Sensor

23. Fuel Injector Connector

24. Drain Tube

25. Intake Manifold Air Heater/Elements

It was wierd. Being a plumber, I used my stem sockets. The new one needed a 1 3/32", so I tried to take the original out, wouldn't fit. Wound up needing a 1 9/32". You can get them at any hardware store for around $12 to $15 bucks.
  • Like 1

reading the 01 fsm it shows a camshaft positioning sensor and not a crank sensor. i did a search for ckp and all it came back with is a cmp. i know my 02 has a cmp.is it possible youneed the cmp?:shrug:

I have read, yes they do have a chrank sensor, then have read they don't, they have a cam sensor. I just looked, but I didn't see anything. Trying to get ahold of my mechanic buddy.... maybe he said cam sensor?