• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Specialty tools

I ordered a vp44 gear puller off the snap-on truck the other day. Wondering what other tools you guys think I should pick up. I have plenty of tools. Im asking more about specialty tools I will need for working on a cummins. Thanks.

All you need is a 10 dollar steering wheel puller to pop the drive gear, no need for any special tools at all.

• Owner

What about tools for pulling the injectors? And snap-on has a tool for turning the engine over. Is that usefull?

I just use a grid heater bolt just screws right into the top of the injector. Great pull handle...

As for pulling crossover tube just hook the threaded area with a small flatblade screw driver...

So far the only special tools I've bought for my 2 trucks is...

[*]Ball joint press

[*]VP44 gear puller

Everything else has been just standard old hand tools...

I have line wrenches so im set there. I will have my vp puller friday. Geno's has the tools to pull the injectors and tubes. But I will try the bolt method before I waste money. Do you guys know the tool for turning the engine over that I mentioned? It looks like a big torqs bit. But I have no clue where it goes. At $58 I wont buy it until I know its needed. Thanks for the input guys.

Yep that tool goes through the fly wheel housing and you turn the engine over via the flywheel. IIRC there is a plug on the front passenger side of the flywheel housing that it fits into. I have a couple of them from when I worked at a CaseIH and Komatsu which used mostly Cummins engines about 10 years ago.How much was the vp44 gear puller? I think I paid about 10 bucks for my steering wheel puller many years ago.

:spend:I have an estimated 60K in my tool collection over the past 20 years of being a diesel tech. Glad I have worked at coal mines for the last 10 years where they supply tools for the techs. No telling how much more I would have invested otherwise.:ahhh::broke::stuned: Reason I have so many is I worked out of a service truck on heavy equimpent and when you are working in the middle of nowheres its best to have everything you need on hand.Best personal tool investment I have ever made was buying a used vehicle hoist for my shop.Was 2K installed, my bad back thanks me every time I use it.:)