• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Info needed Asap please fellas

Running 285's and yes, much easier to steer. I never realized how much strain the steering had on my arm and shoulder until now.Seems like I do have a bit of play in the steering wheel itself and not really sure how to cure that, but I can live with it. At least now I don't have to drive with the death grip on the steering wheel when I come into a corner. Are they better than a new stock box,,,idk, but i'm glad I bought them :thumbup2:

Running 285's and yes, much easier to steer. I never realized how much strain the steering had on my arm and shoulder until now.Seems like I do have a bit of play in the steering wheel itself and not really sure how to cure that, but I can live with it. At least now I don't have to drive with the death grip on the steering wheel when I come into a corner. Are they better than a new stock box,,,idk, but i'm glad I bought them :thumbup2:

The best part is it is more responsive and less wandering and way less correction needed due to having a faster ratio going from 4.5 turn to a 3.3 turn lock to lock is the best mod ever.

Still find on the highway I do a bit of correcting , but nothing near what I had...thinking it's from the steering wheel play. At least when I come into a corner with my gooseneck on i'm not wondering where it's going to decide to dart to.:lol: As for the slack moving, my mechanic said he couldn't find anything to cause my problem other than the box and shaft, but that being said, it probably wouldn't take very much to see a fair amount of extra movement on the steering wheel i'm guessing. I'm kind of wondering if the column itself has some wear..needing the Rock Solid steering kit :shrug: Can't feel the movement they describe but maybe i'm just not catching it

i had a friend hop in and gently move the steering wheel back and forth just enough to put pressure on things but not move the tire as i had my hand on each joint on the steering system to find the play. i actually found play in a couple that i couldnt visually see. with this play it gets amplified through the geometry/weight and strain plus it is cumulative. You could have 2 joints that have a Milimeter of play but that can equate to a bit of wander as both add up to something greater.upper and lower ball joints on the axle might be starting to wear causeing your play? Have you checked the unit bearings for play or wear?i have also heard rarely that the steering boxes will become loose on the frame itself. I forget if you are running a steering brace or not, if not your residual play could be from the frame flexing from the steering box force.

Yea, I have the steering box brace. The only play we found in the front end noticeable was a bit of up and down in the pass side balljoints. Tie rods, trak, universals, everything else was ok. So with the new box and shaft, I was guessing it's in the column somewhere but it's probably not something i'm going to dig into deep because it's not that bad. I've only driven the truck a few times since I put these on, maybe some of it's me being so used to correcting that it just feels weird driving something decent now. :lol:

• 3 months later...

So a bit of an update to my new box...last fall when I put it onand the new shaft, I noticed when turing to the right, like pulling out of a driveway, when turning the wheel I would feel like sticky spots, or not quite a smooth turn, to the left it was good. I kind of chalked it up to a bit of air in the powersteering pump or something whereas we did the change. I laid my truck up after only driving it a couple miles and I got it back on the road today...same feel after about 50 miles or so on it. I know all the front end is good, had it all checked before I made the purchase to make sure I wasn't missing anything. One thing the mechanic said when putting the new shaft on and hooking it to the box, was that he had to fiddle with it to get it to connect due to the angle I'm guessing. He said if the feel doesn't go away he'd want to look at the shaft again. Anyone else put a new box and shaft on and get a similar feel when cutting the wheel? It's not bad, but for new parts I want to get it right. Has a feel like air, but I would think any should be worked out now :shrug:

my stock box did the same thing after i did the power steering fluid swap. the only way i got it out was to turn the wheel to the right, and let it go back to center, eventually the air bubble popped and the issue went away.Did you replace your power steering fluid?

Yea i'm not sure what's going on with it. I am driving it alot today and find it's sticky in the corners and when sitting here in the yard, I can start turning the wheel to the right while i'm watching the front tire, I can turn the steering wheel a bit, it feels tight then it's like a release and the tire will start moving. Could a bad bearing in the steering column or a bad power steering pump do this? Brakes have been working A-1 so I wasn't really thinking the pump :neutral:

I contacted Borgeson and told them how my parts were working, Gil told me to check and make sure the shaft wasn't on the splines of the steering box or steering column to far and binding the u joints of the shaft. Found mine to be hitting on the steering column spline and making it bind. I moved it out until the spline was flush with the joint and made the steering free up like it should be. Can't wait for my next trip with the trailer, should be much more comftorable to drive.

--- Update to the previous post...

some great info guys! I've been through my front end several times tryin to figure out why its so sloppy but everything was tight...thanks!

Does your steering wheel feel tight as in seems like it takes alot of force to steer it going down the road? Soon as my mechanic jumped in mine to go for a drive he said it steered awlfully hard.

• 4 months later...

I just recently had a major failure in my steering as well. [ATTACH]4300[/ATTACH] Bought a used box from a friend of mine due to financial issues, turned out to be a 3.5 turn box. :D:D:D Got it put on and have the sticking when turning to the right issue, will be going to check the shaft in a few minutes. However I also have a slight issue with my brakes and now seem to have no power assist at an idle. The brake pedal catches when you initially hit it then when it pops past the catch, you get almost full brake power even with just moving the pedal half an inch. The catch seems to disappear when you turn the wheels to the left yet gets worse when turning to the right. Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

post-10855-138698190547_thumb.jpg

Hope this doesn't hyjack this thread. I never had wander before. I only have 50K on the truck but 11 years. I always towed googeneck before... really heavy weight on the ball... but no wander. With this tag-along wasn't bad outbound but return with empty water tank & full black water... was horrible. White knuckle trying to stay in lanes. I thought it was just too much tonge weight despite the weight distribute hitch... now I'm not so sure.Just a BTW... my soon to be ex trashed my Jap Challenger many years ago. Drunk Beech probably drove it off the road. When I got it back in the settlement, the steering segment threads were stripped out. Had a half turn of play in it. I should have tried harder to repair it but I could not find parts. At least the dealer claimed not to. Somebody could have repaired it, somehow. Weld it up & retap. Weld a nut on. Find a box or just cover in a junk yard. MODERATORS: If this is too far off topic, move to a new thread.