• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wasted Wastegate

I have been getting a 0234 code since I bought my truck (in July) and realized that the wastegate was stuck closed, and finally decided to fix it. This is supposed to be a pretty straight forward job. Pull the turbo, free the wastegate and reinstall.Mr. Murphy arrived to help me and I learned about his little law. So, I pulled the turbo and the started working on the wastegate with heat, PB Blaster, and a baby ball peen hammer. I patiently tapped heated and squirted for an hour. Then I think, call Mike Nelson for advice. So Mike advised me to remove the back plate (don't know what it's called) that what-cha-ma-call-it that hooks the turbo to the exhaust, so I can access the wastegate from the rear and heat and apply PB Blaster from both sides. Good advice.After about four more hours of tapping heating and squirting, the weld holding the wastegate actuator arm fatigued, broke and fell off. The shaft is frozen solid. So now I need a new exhaust housing and wastegate for my HY35. Anyone want to guess what I am getting for Christmas?I found a supplier who sells them for $385. Anyone know of a cheaper place? (This a new exhaust housing including the wastegate)FYI, this truck was drove 600 miles during the 18 months before I bought it, thus the really frozen wastegate. Low mileage trucks are nice to find but this is one of the things you have to expect as a possible repair with one.

I found a supplier who sells them for $385. Anyone know of a cheaper place? (This a new exhaust housing including the wastegate) FYI, this truck was drove 600 miles during the 18 months before I bought it, thus the really frozen wastegate. Low mileage trucks are nice to find but this is one of the things you have to expect as a possible repair with one.

Thats crazy man - 3 better options. 1) - put the $400 to a s300g - you could get one new for $900 2) - Buy a HX35w off cummins forum for $150-$250 depending on condition - if its abused just use the EH and wastegate. Chuck the rest out.If its not abused - swap it straight in and keep yours as backup. 3) If just the actuator http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-powerturboboostbuilderwastegate.aspx If you HAVE to have new housing and new actuator then 3) http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-powerturboboostbuilderwastegate.aspx and 4) http://www.pdrdiesel.com/products/PDR_Dodge_Cummins_12_sq_cm_Housing_nonwastegated-537-27.html Id go with 1 or 2:thumbup2:
  • Like 1

Bob, i might have one. i have not seen it in a while and it might be gone, but i will look when i get home. problem is that will be 2 or 3 weeks and then i am not sure i still have it. If i do and you have not found one its yours. it is my original hx35 housig i replaced with the banks quick turbo 5 1/2 years ago. Hell it might be rusted together.

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer Dave i really appreciate it, but I need to get it back in service asap. The local guy can have it for me pretty quickly. I just thought I would ask to see if anyone had one, or knew of a cheaper solution.

I have an HX35w that I took off my truck when I installed my HX35/40 hybrid.I have no use for the assembly so I would let it go cheap. Maybe 50 plus the ride.But I live in Idaho and now that it's the Christmas season shipment by UPS might take a week or longer. That may not be of much value becuase your local guy maybe able to get your new exhaust housing in less time.If you are interested let me know. If not - no problem. Good luck on the repair.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are great. I wish I lived nearer, these are two deals that I couldn't beat anywhere. However, I really need to have the old girl up and running as bad weather may set in and it is my only 4X4. Thanks to both of you (Dripley and War Eagle) for your generous offers.I did find a used turbo at a salvage yard that specializes in Dodge trucks "only". They want $350 for it, I pick it up tomorrow. It will essentially leave me with a spare turbo. I have never been there before, but a friend tells me that they have five acres of Dodge trucks for parts. I am kind of itching to get a look in this place if they will let me. Sounds like "Dodge heaven".Thanks again everyone for all the advice and offers.

Okay guys, the one on the right is the junk yard turbo, the one on the left is the original. They are different, but the guy at the junk yard says they will interchange.

I took the original turbo with me and the guy said that it is the small version they put on the automatic transmission trucks. He said the one he sold me is a HX35, (like mine) but is the larger one that came from a manual transmission truck, but would work just the same, but may run a tiny bit better. He said it was from a 01, or 02. The bearings feel as tight as the original and the wastegate works well.

This man works on dodge diesels all day every day (for years). I am sure he has forgot more than I know about the Cummins. However, before I go to the trouble of installing it tomorrow I thought I would run it by you all for approval.

post-11267-138698181437_thumb.jpg

Looks right - seeing the front would make it easier.The HX35 will have a hose from the wastegate to an elbow tapped directly into the compressor housing.The hy35 will have a straight feed (now elbow) built in.Both flanges interchangeable - so both work fine - you might notice a bit better with HX35 - but there's not a big difference.:thumbup2:

Thanks John, I feel better now. I drove four hours for it, and don't want to do it again. Here is a different shot, I think this is what you were talking about. Again, the one on the right is the HX35. (I made a mistake on the last post and called the original a HX35, when it is a HY35 as you said)

post-11267-138698181444_thumb.jpg

post-11267-138698181459_thumb.jpg

you might want to put some air to the waste gate and make sure it is working good before you install it. do you still have the stock exhaust on your rig? i have a banks power elbow and a new 4" down pipe for it if you upgraded to a 4" exhaust.

I am glad to hear this. Now to get it installed. They burned off the exhaust studs so I have to find replacements tomorrow.Should I replace the steel gaskets or are they reusable?Dave, it has a new 3" stock exhaust. The guy put it on just before I bought it or I would have upgraded to a 4". Thanks again for the offer. I wish you were closer to home. I would have just drove down there and got yours so I could meet you.The upgrade will be nice but I will never know the difference as I have never drove the truck with the wastegate working, so I don't have a way to compare one to the other. I will be happy as long as it runs right.Thanks everyone for your help, I can rest a little better tonight. This worried me all the way home from the junk yard.

If you pull the wastegate off the hy35 and sell on ebay - a lot of the ricer cars will take it due to the 9cm housing and quicker spool - and ability to handle more HP than their stock turbos .... they are semi popular there to get some $$ funds back.:woot: