• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

If there were any stations around here selling 2% bio I wouldn't even be using any type of additive. It will be treated with the proper winter additives just like any diesel fuel so unless your filling your truck up and its sitting for months at a time I wouldnt use anything. If I were going to use something it would be a fuel stabalizer for long term storage (in the situation I mentioned above) or possibly an anti gel if you were to experience any real cold snaps. I can't see where adding 2 cycle oil to bio would have any benefits at all.

• Staff

If there were any stations around here selling 2% bio I wouldn't even be using any type of additive. It will be treated with the proper winter additives just like any diesel fuel so unless your filling your truck up and its sitting for months at a time I wouldnt use anything. If I were going to use something it would be a fuel stabalizer for long term storage (in the situation I mentioned above) or possibly an anti gel if you were to experience any real cold snaps. I can't see where adding 2 cycle oil to bio would have any benefits at all.

I remember reading on another diesel forum about a guy who works for a VP44 rebuilder. He said he has seen more damage to the VP's from biodiesel than anything else. The problem is he did not elaborate on what the damage was.... water and dirt might be his point since we can assume bio is like that.

• 4 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A4rtsil%C3%A4-Sulzer_RTA96-C

From what I've been told these engine run on some pretty thick liquid tar. Very very low cetane but lots of BTU pushing power. Redline at 22-102 RPM

Sorry if I stir up a bees nest or anything but what is the "gain" from higher Cetane levels? It seems that it is proportionally opposite to the amount of BTU/lubricity stored in each fuel or oil.

• Owner

As stated by ASTM testing labs in their report...

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

• Like 1

Would there be a problem running it in a truck that is not a daily driver???  I just think about my can that I use for the weed eater where the oil settles to the bottom.  My truck my set for a month or longer. Would not want the bottom of the tank a gunked up with 2 cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this may be a dumb question after reading all of these posts.....can I run 2 cycle with other fuel additives? (Power service) Only reason for doing that would be winter time. Does the 2 cycle help to prevent gelling? Would the 2 cycle plug my fass filters up sooner? Supertech cw-3 is a good oil to use?

Ok this may be a dumb question after reading all of these posts.....can I run 2 cycle with other fuel additives? (Power service) Only reason for doing that would be winter time. Does the 2 cycle help to prevent gelling? Would the 2 cycle plug my fass filters up sooner? Supertech cw-3 is a good oil to use?

I ran Diesel Kleen for about 4 months several years ago and never noticed it did anything for me. I dont really see cold enough temps to run it for anti gelling. Supertech TC-W3 from wally world is very popular and I did notice a differnce with it. Just came off a 1650 mile round trip running 75 to 80 mph and a consistent 18.5 Mph. As far as the filters, it has never affected the filters adversely. I currently have 40k on the AD filter with no pressure drop from it. My filter in the factory canister probably has 60k or more on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What oil are you guys running besides supertech? The local walmart only carry the gallon jugs and the half quarts that I like but they are not willing to give me a decent price in bulk. They only have like 1 maybe 2 bottles on the shelf. Napas prices are outrageous so thinking advance, auto zone or orielly might have something. Does brand really matter?

I noticed the SuperTech oil did make the engine slightly quiter but not much. Just enough to notice a difference. I also noticed the first tank I used it on the fuel mileage went up about .6mpg and it was the exact same driving I did the week before without it. So it does make a difference. AD also never dropped with FP and the peace of mind is there knowing the VP44 is lubricated properly. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Walmart Super Tech is good stuff. I can tell the difference in my Cummins. I live in the country and noticed that my Kubota tractor was making what sounded like a squeek/ rattle from the motor so I added Super Tech, one ounce per gallon of diesel and the squeek/rattle is gone. The tractor runs great but I think it is using more fuel. 

• Like 1